• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Harm Reduction What are the very best NONbenzo anxiety medications out there? I'm falling apart.

So you think pregabalin would work better than gabapentin? Cause gaba doesn't seem to do shit for me
To be honest, this stuff won't touch a good benzo at the right dose. But I fully understand why you want an alternative; I've been addicted to benzos before. All the little things help :)

To be honest, this stuff won't touch a good benzo at the right dose. But I fully understand why you want an alternative; I've been addicted to benzos before. All the little things help :)
yep. Clonazepams tho r king, come fight me on that m8

For me Benzos were like paying for my anxiety to disappear with a credit card with an insane interest rate. When the benzos wore off my anxiety was magnified by 20.

What an excellent characterization.

And yes, pregabalin is far, far superior to gabapentin in the treatment of anxiety.

I have crippling anxiety and the only thing that works for me is benzos and mirtazipine
Hydroxine did nothing, not even for my allergies and lyrica made me manic

Another one is Phenprobamate. I don't know if you have it in the US though.

So you think pregabalin would work better than gabapentin? Cause gaba doesn't seem to do shit for me
Absolutely but getting it for anxiety can be ruff. I have it prescribed for 'neuropathy' wink-wink but its the heavy hitter for anxiety in my Arsenal. Id stay away from phenubit you need somthing you can take daily and taking phenubit daily never ends well. If you can convince your Dr to give you pregablin that will be your best bet. It will need a prior authorization so your insutance will pay.

Kratom

Not really a "medication" but, as far as anxiolytic psychoactive drugs go, I actually prefer it to benzodiazepines (although benzos are much more effective at neutralizing episodes of acute anxiety/panic). Benzos make me feel dysphoric and "numb"

Id stay away from phenubit you need somthing you can take daily and taking phenubit daily never ends well.

Usually this is what people say about pregabalin, too. But yeah, agreed about daily phenibut.

Also it's been said but can't be emphasized enough... daily, cardiovascular exercise helps more than you can possibly imagine if you haven't used it as a tool before. It's my primary tool against anxiety. Strength training is really good too and releases endorphins but the cardio exercise is key. 30 minutes of good cardio a day at least, enough for it to be hard to do. It's torture at first but in a pretty short time you learn to love it. Plus it helps with every other aspect of life, too. People tend to disregard that advice, but they shouldn't. I never really exercised much until my 30s and I was amazed by what a huge difference it made to every area of my life.

Theres a great forum benzobuddies.org .( I think )(memories a little fuzzy, it's been 7 years since I tapered off) They have a wealth of info over there. Helped me mucho when I stopped.
I was taking alot of xanax and klonopin and struggled hard for a few years to break the benzo chokehold.
I did a 90 day librium taper. Switched over to gabapentin for a month and then cold turkeyed it for 2 more months. Around 6 months totally benzo free I began to feel great and like my old self.
I was pretty much just existing while I tapered and detoxed, slowly. I would go to work, go to meetings and that's about it. Anxiety kicked my ass during that time.
If I could change anything about the way I did my taper and quitting it would be.

Eat a whole food/Real food diet
Exercise
Yoga
Mediation

When I stopped I was totally broken and all I could really manage was not taking anymore benzos.

For me Benzos were like paying for my anxiety to disappear with a credit card with an insane interest rate. When the benzos wore off my anxiety was magnified by 20.

Good luck and be well

~d

Sounds miserable. How long had you been on benzos for?

Exercise and hard physical labor helped me more than any drug.I felt strong and confident, not scared of everything...

Sounds miserable. How long had you been on benzos for?
5 years. I have heard of horror stories of people having bad withdrawls from .50 mg a day over the course of 3 months. My shit was intense I'm sure my gaba receptors where saturated with benzo

Hydroxyzine, as stated earlier. It enhances what you already take

I have aspergers, debilitateing anxiety and irractrable OCD. Benzodiazepines are a life saver. Hydroxyzine is useful as a combo, but only Benzodiazepines truly help

I will say the only other medication which helps my anxiety is gabapentin. In moderate doses it provides decent relief
Nothing will replace Xanax or a higher dose of Klonopin, though

Really...It just made me extremely letharic.Now Fioricet helped alot...I once overdosed on phenobarbital I could hardly walk to save my life...

Did it? That didn't happen to me. I OD'd on it on purpose once and was in intensive care in a coma for a week. But yeah even a couple of extra pills can make you overdose with barbiturates, you gotta be really careful.
Unfortunately, I (understandably) had it taken off me after that. I really miss it. Weirdly, I'd been on it like 8 months (medium dose of 120mg) and they took it off me cold turkey and I didn't have any withdrawal. Maybe because the half life is like 3 days?