• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction What’s the process of getting supplies from needle exchanges/HR services like?

gbchris

Greenlighter
Sorry if this isn’t the right place to be put this I wasn’t sure where it best fit.

I was wondering what the process is in needle exchanges/ HR services (USA)
Like, do I need to bring a used needle to get a fresh one, what is the process for getting a card, etc.
I’v tried searching for these answers but it’s always been pretty difficult to find information online for me when it comes to these things.

Its different depending on where you are in the US, some places are 1 for 1 but most arent. Here in southern VT, at the place i run, its very simple. You call me/stop in, i explain what we have, how the whole thing is as anonymous as you want it, etc. We take some minor demographic info, age, sex, race, etc. Then i make you an id card with a formula of random information. Its something like, the first 3 letters of your moms name, the day you were born, your middle initial, the year you were born, and your sex. Then you tell me what you want, i pack it up and off you go. We also provide other services like HIV tests, HCV tests, drug checking services, harm reduction services, IV tips and trick etc. Then you can stop in whenever we're open or call and schedule a delivery. Super easy, super confidential and anonymous. Hope that helps.

PS, If you're in an area without a syringe exchange, there are some online services that will mail syringes/supplies/narcan to places that have little to no access.

Its different depending on where you are in the US, some places are 1 for 1 but most arent. Here in southern VT, at the place i run, its very simple. You call me/stop in, i explain what we have, how the whole thing is as anonymous as you want it, etc. We take some minor demographic info, age, sex, race, etc. Then i make you an id card with a formula of random information. Its something like, the first 3 letters of your moms name, the day you were born, your middle initial, the year you were born, and your sex. Then you tell me what you want, i pack it up and off you go. We also provide other services like HIV tests, HCV tests, drug checking services, harm reduction services, IV tips and trick etc. Then you can stop in whenever we're open or call and schedule a delivery. Super easy, super confidential and anonymous. Hope that helps.

PS, If you're in an area without a syringe exchange, there are some online services that will mail syringes/supplies/narcan to places that have little to no access.
Thank you for the info and also your awesome for what you do in VT :)