• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

We need more raves in aus!

Yeah, it looks more like a festival tho really, and daytime mostly and hard edge music mostly too, same with utopias and god speeds, and lots of lads and roided up beefcakes. Still mad productions and lasers and stuff at them all.

i'm not sure how i ended up here but...

if you're not happy with the scene where you are, throw your own party!

change a lightbulb > moan about the darkness

and all that.

:)

alasdair

Cockatoo Island in Sydney is set up for it. The old warehouses and heavy machinery would be a great backdrop for some hardcore festival. And being on an island in the middle of Sydney Harbour...

Man, if it ain't happening that is a trick missed.

Sad but true I think. The doofs may be the closest thing we have here in Aus to the old loved up, give randoms a hug and enjoy the music and vibe kind of days.

I'm new down here, but I've seen a bit about doofs... what are they?

Mostly psy trance parties, with trippers and fluro shit everywhere. Non-commercial and more unknown dance music on the psychedelic tip, sometimes in the bush, on private property or in national parks or sometimes in nightclubs or warehouses too.

The people are usually really friendly, not that i've been to any for years and years, but they are pretty cool fun.

Some music styles like this -

https://soundcloud.com/ryanosaurusrex

Amongst a heap of differing styles. sometimes they have dnb, trance & techno and stuff too, but afaik never rave music like happy hard and hard core and anthems.

Top-right-doof.png

bush-doof-narrow.jpg

goaparty3.jpg

^ That kind of stuff :)

Need some wharehouse raves and night time raves that would be fucking sick! Rolling balls under the night sky damn sounds good lol

The underground scene is going off in Sydney and has been for ages.
I dunno why people think its dead.
Maybe you just gotta know the right people.

^ Any large warehouse raves with thousands of people? I guess there's no reviews or anything?

The psytrance community is apparently under siege by the media, police and residents.
apparently its starting to blow up due to incredibly trashed sites, people being abused and getting injured, overdoses and cunts bringing weapons to parties.
Some people are fucked and will ruin it for the rest of us.
When I say ruin, I mean parties that get advertised on facebook will risk being crashed by cops etc.
It won't be a problem for me because I know a lot of people who can organize small parties with no online advertisements.. But for the big parties, if things keep happening the way they are, a lot of the random doofers and first timers might not get a chance to go.
Its already started happening..
Last week police crashed a small syd doof and said they found it on facebook and will continue to crash Doofs in the Sydney area.

@ poledriver, nah not many parties that house thousands of people (that I know of), but still, smaller raves give off more of an underground feel imo.

people being abused and getting injured, overdoses and cunts bringing weapons to parties.

Some of this was happening in the rave scene in the early 2000's, the utopias and godspeeds had alot of lads and agro people rolling people and being fuckwits, inside and outside the venues, turned some of my friends off going, sounded fucked.

Yeah its not good.
The difference is, psy or goa parties are supposed to revolve around a spiritual level of love for yourself and other people, the land and community.
I don't think big raves have such a warm culture.
And when ravers start doofing, some times they are not always aware of the love that is meant to be shared.

^ I went to the first eckythump back in '94 and a few more of them too.

ECKYTHUMP DJ SET TIMES

THE CRYSTAL PALACE

7pm Subzero vs Akira
8pm Suae vs Weaver
9pm Nik Fish vs Jumping Jack
10pm Jim Jams
11pm Aladdin
12am Paul Holden vs Fenix
1am Spellbound vs Gee Wiz
2am Tom-E vs Matrix

THE SUNSET ROOM

7pm Dexi vs Panik
8pm Destiny vs Sims
9pm Midian vs Buggin
10pm Trix vs Goodfella
11pm GEOFF DA CHEF (Special Oldskool Hardcore Set)
12am Reazn vs Lukem
1am Tanner One (Special Sydney Hard House goes RAVING @ ECKYTHUMP)
2am CLOSE

Last edited:
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/381053-Sydney-rave-scene-where-d-it-go

Good thread buried deep about where did the Syd rave scene go... Lots of old timers comments and such, pretty much sums it up.

And here's a list of some of the old Syd raves and some of their dates and locations.

http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=181407&page=2

You went to raves in Sydney pre-1996 • DJs still played records • You spun out at the Silver Man • Nik Fish was billed as Nick The Fish • Vic on the Park & O'Malleys on Sundays was the place to be • Dave Coxon & Guy supplied the 200,000 Watts of Cerwin Vega Turbosound • The 'TT' in Nick TT stood for 'Techno Terrorist' • The Munch Bunch catered for us (where they really Spellbound's parents?) • Sam the Ticket Man bouncing around with his bum-bag • Dave Trustory and his unique Headphones • Brave & Stun on Wednesdays • Liberty Freedom Rave Dance • Smiling Faces while on Acid • Jester and those Freaky Vibe Tribers • Punos Chillouts • Something other than hardcore was played at 2am peak hour • Happy Valley and Abel, Ming & Jumpin Jacks morning sets • RAVE wasn't just a scene - it was a LIFESTYLE • We didn't just eat Juicy Red Apples and sing Halleujah - we read them too • 'Inner city venue' meant Alexandria or Mascot, not Silverwater or further! • 0055 after 6pm • Kandi Kids didn't exist • Burrows Road Alexandria! • There were 'Homies' not 'Lads' • Pingers and 'Illz' were 'E's' or Eccys or 'Eggs' and cost up to $60 a pop • Jade was the queen of morning Anthems • Jason Barry brought us Flashbacks • The Hardcore Cafe, Graffiti Hall of Fame and Angel Place Golfing Range still existed and were used for parties • Central Station was downstairs, not upstairs • Before iPod & Mp3s, mixtapes ruled the car stereo • Promoters cared more about out doing the competition and throwing an awesome party than making a mountain of cash • Back then, Ravers still wore clothes - BIG BAGGY ONES! • 3D World was a newspaper, not a website • Before ITM, we had AusRave usenet & SPRACI • We wore Adidas Campus & Puma Suedes on our feet • Cops were tops • We didn't need glowsticks to dance • Dungarees & flanos • Chipies Shoes • Million Colour lasers • Southend end live!!! • Venues raining sweat • Chup-a-Chups • Vics inhalers • Crisis on 3 decks • parties cost 15-25 bucks and $30 plus if it was a massive party like NYE • Town Hall steps was the meeting place before a rave - or in front of Central Station Records • The Breakfast Club in the City and then at Taylors • Energy Wednesdays • Rushn' Ravewear was in a dingy place in Newtown (king street) • Sydney Park Recoveries • Clontarf Park Recoveries • James' "Rave Bus" orange kombi van • "Fuzzy" was what happened after one too many biscuits • Losing your friends • Making friends • Shitty sound • 3 parties on one night • Doves • Cali Splits • Candyflip • Purple Ohms • Shutdowns • You laughed whenever you saw the "How Fast Are You Going Now?" sign • Poor Quality Central Station mix-tapes & no copyright infringements • Tutti Frutti Dancers & BeXta Live • Jumping Jack was referred to as Paul • Psychosis was not a state of mind • Jim Turbs, George Vagas, Crisis & Spellbound ruled the hardcore • Sasha wasn't a DJ from the UK • Quest & Imposta played back to back • Southend made us Fanatical and 2Day FM played the Winner Is.. • Prodigy, Tribal & Field of Dreams • Alexandria Basketball Stadium was the biggest venue in Sydney • Prodigy 2 had an unique visitor in the morning (Torri Spelling & Luke Perry) & Prodigy 4 went outdoors • Mixed Beans, Midnight Madness, Ecology & Yippie Kie Yae • Disco City & Reachin sold the DJs their tunes • We all felt So right when Buggin' was played • We all mourned when we lost DJ Arthur, Dave Delirious & Justin Barry from J+A lasers • The Welsh Embassy, Butterfly Productions & 2000AD • We all loved our Hardcore and MDMA proved that • The Buck Rogers Ravers astounded us with Astral Flight then Pleasuredome • Musiquarium was tuned in each Monday at 2 • Fenix bought us Space Cadet • The Chemical Ravers, Bulb productions • Technofear & Argon Lasers • Scooby & Johnjo with their amazing artwork • Parklife was an album by Blur • Buggin Vagen • Next is the E • General Base • Fits of Gloom • Injected with a Poison • In The Name Of Love

Anyone who was around back then would remember alot of that stuff ^ too =D

I wish someone would organise a good trance party 2-3x a year in Brisbane. I was recently in eastern Europe and went to two absolutely awesome parties. Ferry Corsten and Armin van Buuren (+others), then Shapeshifters. Ferry and Armin were absolutely fucking magical, approx. 8000 people, insane party atmosphere, cheap tickets, drinks and drugs.

Hi folks..

The Melbourne rave scene in the mid to late nineties was aparently one of the world hotspots for warehouse parties at that time. I have had that confirmed by the DJs that came to Oz, by ravers from epic scenes like Goa and Israel, by ravers who started in the early nineties and survived the whole thing, etc etc. 97,98,99,2000 were the best four years of my life. Every single weekend there was a warehouse party, sometimes intimate (who remembers Lesley St) and sometimes MASSIVE (who remembers War of the Worlds at Altona, and all the parties at Global Village). And it REALLY was a community. Everyone knew everyone. You could go out on your own and not spend a minute by yourself all night. Everyone made all their own clothes. The decor was so elaborate and cool. No cops. Friendly security. No sniffer dogs. Smoking was allowed (good for some). And the drugs - well the drugs haven't changed, in that there are always good quality ones and shit ones on the market at any time, you just have to be lucky and have a dealer who knows the right people - its a lottery really. There was practically no ice or ghb which was good. There was ALWAYS a free afterparty to go to the next day - normally put on by any of the 'crews' that had their own sound system and sometimes the next day was better than the party. The music at that time was varied and usually minimal techno during the night and then into melodic trance for the last morning sets - who remembers Jason Midro's EPIC morning sets as the sun was rising. Most parties at that time i'd go and sit on my own near the back of the main room and just feel how good life was and how privilidged I was to be a part of this.

Sadly things changed. By about 2003ish the Nightclub Owners Association lobbied the government to make it nearly impossible for the small crews to put on raves. This was because everyone was raving and the clubs, pubs and bars were losing money. They made the permits for large gatherings of people REALLY hard to obtain and expensive. Public liability insurance also skyrocketed at the same time. For a little while some crews such as Smile Police kept trying but were eventually defeated. So the result was what we have now - which is that only the SUPER raves have the economy of scale (and the right connections with the right people) to put on these massive dance parties that are now mostly day time. So yeah Stereosonic etc tour the world and are like faceless corporations. There is no soul to them.

Those mid to late nineties were unbelieveable and to be honest I have a real problem - i think about them all the time and miss them SO much. I would do ANYTHING to relive those four years. It was the time of my life. I witnessed a global mecca and a scene where PLUR was a REAL concept! I miss it every fucking day.

The only thing that comes close now are some of the bush doofs. The main one is Rainbow Serpant parties are REALLY good. I know a lot of the organisers and they are all old schoolers who do it for the scene, not for money. Word up to Felix, he is a rave legend! There are other small doofs fairly regularly but they are intentionally kept pretty underground. If you get into the psytrance scene you'll find some good private raves too, they still put on little warehouse things on the sly from time to time, but you've gotta know the riight people to get an invite. And yeah theres a million clubs, and sometimes they can be ok. THeres also seems to be a growing house party scene too.

I don't go to the super dance parties, it just feels like a meat grinder. And if i have a pill or two i don't want the fucking stress of being hunted down by dogs just so the police can be SEEN by joe voter public to be making a difference and winning the 'war on drugs'. The ice trend in recent years has seen a lot of wankers stay up for too long on the shit, get psychotic and then get violent or cause other mayhem, and then you've got GHB killing people!! That is NOT a 'scene'

So yeah. I'll always remember my first rave in 1996. I stepped in, totally sober, and knew instantly that THIS was what i had been searching for. And when I took my first pill, I said to myself as i was coming down from an undescribable night 'im gonna do this every fucking weekend'.... and I DID for 4 years! WOOOOOT

Anyway thats my take on the history of 'raves' in Melbourne. I'd LOVE anyone else who shaared this time to msg me!!!

PLUR everyone.

WC