• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids Want to take phenibut tonight after not taking it in like a year, simply because I'm out of Gabapentin and find that kava doesn't hit as well w/o it

Ah, yes I've usually had 300mg capsules and have taken 2 of them at a time, I thought I got this method reading from an OG Bluelighter here some time ago but it's possible I garbled it slightly, including the periodicity since I thought a few hours between doses was usually the done thing, maybe I remembered that wrong... Even so though, I honestly just felt so little... kinda hard to believe I'd feel anything even with more optimal dosing. 🤔 Mostly I've just used it to mitigate seizure dangers after discontinuing maybe slightly-too-heavy periods of benzo use, although I've never actually had a seizure so it's hard to say how effective it's actually been even for this. On the other hand though I guess... I've never had a seizure, and better safe than sorry. 😅

Oh trust me, you definitely would feel it if you staggered correctly. 300mg every half hour, lots of people suggest with a carbonated beverage or a fatty snack as this increases absorption. So does taking an Aleve as you begin staggering but I personally don't do this because I get really bad tinnitus (I already do but it makes it worse). 15% more absorption is quite a bit though.

600mg all at once you're barely absorbing any more than 300mg because of how bad the bioavailability continues to lower after 300mg, and staggering it by 2 hours, yeah that's not gonna lead to anything nice. If you ever got ahold of it again I would definitely try it this way, it's one of the best highs ever. But if you don't have any tolerance to it, just 900mg could fuck you up. I personally would aim for 1.2 or 1.5g though but the sky's the limit. With no tolerance 1800mg feels almost exactly like MDMA to me and is a very intense feeling when it all peaks, but then settles into total chill chattiness and giddiness, I call it the gaba-giddies.

I just can't see how this is true if kava is a GABA A agonist. Honestly, the scene around kava seems really proselytisey and weird, like it's a perfectly safe answer to everything. Reminds me of the medical marijuana folks who just see it as panacea to all ills. IME, there just aren't intoxicating substances, let alone anxiolytics, that don't have a type of discontinuation syndrome, kava included.

I've used kava quite regularly in the past and felt proto GABA A withdrawal symptoms similar to very mild benzo withdrawal. Only mild and short lived, but restless muscles, waking up early, and increased anxiety. Having gone through protracted and intense benzo withdrawal in the past, I'm likely more susceptible than most, but i basically don't mess with kava at all as a result.
Apparently it's not a GABA-A agonist, most people online suggest it is. It's an MAO-B agonist, CB1, NMDA and I think "modulates gaba" whatever that means. Surprising though given I've had identical effects of Valium with micronized Boronguru.

Apparently it's not a GABA-A agonist, most people online suggest it is. It's an MAO-B agonist, CB1, NMDA and I think "modulates gaba" whatever that means. Surprising though given I've had identical effects of Valium with micronized Boronguru.
I wouldn't be too surprised if kavas GABA activity is mild tbh. I've combined it with other gabaergics like baclofen and gabapentin and never noticed what I would call potentiation although certainly some synergy.

Either way, it doesn't take much to find reports of people describing "withdrawal" although the kava mafia often open mindedly shit on that position entirely and it's not withdrawal in anything like the magnitude of benzo/alcohol/etc. Still for me, the taste I had of it was enough to make me wary.

I may have actually had a withdrawal last night, I can't really say. I took 3g of Gabapentin Saturday after some high dose days, then 900mg last few. Except last night when I took 600mg hours before bed. Having withdrawals from the gabapentin seemed really unusual, it's possible it was just this, but I have used kava at some pretty stupid amounts, like 80g. Nobody takes that much lol. It does taste like absolute shit, some of it tastes mild, depends on the cultivator.

Personally I noticed gabapentin potentiates it a lot, and it in turn seems to have a nice synergy with gabapentin, not exactly potentiating that. I've had the kava reduce a lot of a giddy gabapentin high before because of how sedating it was, but that tended to happen if I hadn't taken much gabapentin. 900mg with no tolerance or something like a few weeks ago, just taking Valium calmed it down a bit but I was surprised how high I was considering I'd only just gone back to not taking it. I get my fills, sometimes take too much and then taper down. I'm gonna be more 2x a week with it because damn that tolerance gets high fast.