• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Want help on the best brand of camera to buy for a friend..

Miss Kirsty

Bluelighter
Hi all, i was wondering if you could help a camera shy person here...I want to purchase a camera for a friend whos has broken and i dont know what kind of brand to look for, He is not new to photography and is quite the photographer?...Have i got any chance of getting a semi decent camera for say $100?..Oh I will be buying it on eBay USA...I hhave no idea about the brand..OR megapixils!!!!!How many do i need???.Personally i use a pentax but apart from them i havent a clue...Cheers for any help...
Ohhh and im in a rush too!!;)

I hate to say it, but for that price you might be SOL, unless you buy something hot. And even then...

I'm rather fond of Canons for point-and-shoots, and Nikons for DSLRs. They're both pretty good for both, though.

Yeah you couldnt really go wrong with a cannon can you?...So what sort of mega pixils do i want Dave?...Im about to shoot you a PM DAve too...

I hate to say it, but for that price you might be SOL, unless you buy something hot.
absolutely not.
I'm rather fond of Canons for point-and-shoots, and Nikons for DSLRs. They're both pretty good for both, though.
canons are great.

op, you can't go wrong with a canon powershot. i've had at least 3 different models through the years and they rock. you should be able to pick up something like this on ebay for <$100 easily. make sure it comes with a charger and battery: Canon PowerShot SD1000 7.1MP Digital Elph.

hell, you can get a brand new elph 100 for $100 - $150 online if you shop wisely.

anything in your range is going to have at least 6mp which is fine for point and shoot fun.

alasdair

a lot of people in my family now have a camera from the Panasonic Lumix line. I bought mine a few years back for about $150 and there's a new model out at the same price point that I'm considering even though I'm still happy with my old one. It's point-n-shoot, but it's close to your price range while a DSLR is not. If your friend is really serious about photography, he will want a DSLR and most photographers are very particular about their main camera which makes it tough to buy as a gift (even if it were in your price range). IMHO he will appreciate a Lumix as a backup cam or just a good camera to carry around town because they are very small and come with Leica lenses (arguably the finest lens manufacturer) which provide for very good image quality despite the small form factor.

If he's going into photography, I don't think you can get him a good enough camera for $100. I'd say you're looking at at least $200.

Add: I really like Canon cameras.

I think that < 200 is reasonable.

There are a few Canon S90s on ebay in that range, and I can say from personal experience that they are very solid point-and-shoots.

Thank you all so much...Im heading to ebay and check it out...and yeah, i think the person is an established photographer, but i was kind aiming at something just as a bit of a filler until she gets a good one again herself....Thats why i came here..i have looked at the photos in here for quite a while and i knew youd all be able to point me in the right direction...Now ill go to ebay and see what i can find..<3
much thanks ....

Running off AA batteries are a negative in my book but the generous optical zoom makes up for it. For the price it looks pretty damn good, but you said your budget is $100? 100GBP is about 150% of that.

Canon Powershot / Fuji FinePix - check what is the best speck for the cheapest price you can afford.

Does your friend print copies out or are they a casual user? If they are simply going to point and press/view on PC then don't buy simply based on the Mega pixels alone.

what are they using the camera for?

@thujone...thank you mate, for your reply....Yeah its about $30 over my budget...I had $100 for camera and about $30-40 for postage...Its going to UK and i live in Australia so i thought if i bought on ebayUK its already there in the UK...And i found one with free postage within UK...So its saved me a bit...I also had an offer for another person who will thro a few bucks towards it...

@bearlove I dont know the answers to any of those questions unfortunately!!! I might PM you....

I sent a PM Bearlove explaining a bit about what im trying to do....

Last edited:
So they accepted the 100 pound but would only post to my paypal address so that rendered the transaction useless!!!Oh well...So now im checking the cameras out that have been previously suggested...Thanks to those who posted..<3