• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Video Game Discussion

I was on Firetree Alliance. Name was Aanallein but I xfered to Crushridge as Aellinsar and my friend bought my account for 800 bucks.

On UO I played on Lake Superior, Asuka, Yamato, Hokuto, and Napa Valley I think. EQ I don't reallly remember which server I was on..

im really into the mythos behind warhammer, and frankly im disgusted that all 4 gods of chaos are not going to be represented. it looks liek they are deciding between themeing chaos with either (just one of) the god Khorne or Tzeench, which is lame. id love to see a huge battle of like khorne and nurgle armies vs slaneesh and tzeench armies like in the novels.

i think ill be dumping chaos for the orc waaaaagh...

anybody here into Steam (halflife/counterstrike online software)? Just got back into DoD recently, i havent lost a bit of skill with the KAR or the tommygun :) but ive noticed they got some new game, Dark Messiah. I looked it up on google and it looks pretty cool, but it wont download properly on my steam account. it gets to 35% and says dling at like 250kbps but then it just stops and doesnt increase, despite saying "downloading..."

They went with Tzeench. the problem was Khorne can't have magic and Slaneesh is far too off the chart for game ratings.. Lot of nudity and sexuality.

I'll probly got Orc/Goblin as well.

^ haha yeah. where is randycaver, she claims to be a fan of the prince of slaneesh's many tits.

when i played 40k my army was khorne/nurgle. they should have gone the cheesy route and made it
"chaos undivided" (an exploit, imo, in 40k to make the cheesiest army possible rulewise) at least to let people not familiar with the WH universe get further into the culture behind it.

and yeah orcs are too much fun. i love playing them on the RTS warhammer game "dawn of war" i posted a few pages back. im actually doing this gigantic colored pencil drawing for school of the legendary Gorguts, in the vein of GW artist David Gallager.

fantasy, i really wish it was 40k, but for some reason developers worldwide are way too scared to attempt a vastly successful sci fi mmo. mythic had one in development called "imperator," which was supposed to be a science fiction alter reality where Rome conquered the world and successfully held it for thousands of years into the future and was able to colonize other planets and such. It looked really cool cuz it was a completely lavish world based on the height of Roman culture, everything was similiar sense of order, military presence and dominance, architecture and sculpture, etc. Had a lot of money invested in bringing ancient rome into the future lol. They dropped it saying implementing things like space combat and proper projectile based combat (like lazer guns and shit) was just not meeting their standards...but coincidently they announced the rights to the warhammer MMO about 2 weeks after announcing dropping Imperator.

http://www.warhammeronline.com/english/home/index.php

check out the cinematic trailers, in the highest resolution. the files are huge, but the animation and modeling is really tight. should be three of them, orcs vs dorfs, then elves vs dark elves, and then chaos lord vs imperial priest

Last edited:
I prefer fantasy personally so I'm happy with what they've got. =)

Apparently Skaven / Lizardmen will be in the xpac but that's just rumors and obviously far far off. But I'm excited cause those are my 2 favorite races.

eh with DAoC mythic pretty much released a pay-expansion pack yearly, each with a very meaty amount of new content and aspects of play, and also known for releasing free expansions (downloadables) every year or soo too. I dont doubt this will be the next coolest mmo, especially with the financial backbone of a company as huge as EA.

The one thing I really dig about 40k is the Empire... fucking ownage straight up. "It is better to die for the Emperor than to live for yourself." So fucking ownage... If I had to think of a badass mankind of the future it would be the Space Marines and their branches with their heirarchies, histories, traditions, religions, all stemming back to a God-Emperor. Just so fucking sick.. Nothing matches that!

oh dont worry dude id commit GREVIOUS acts of violence to get a chance to regenerate my gene-seed for eternity and live an existance of purging aliens, mutants, and heretics a like inside my terminator armor with power fist

bloodangel.jpg

PHEAR THE ULTRAMARINES!

deep down inside tho, i know id be more at home as the machine spirit of the finest of dreadnaughts.

Imperial Guard is a cool army too but way too squishy, awesome tanks and artillery but get rolled way too easy by any melee army with some speed. Its funny seeing an Imperial Guard vs Space Marine game, usualy marines crush them. It happens once or twice in the novels, arguing over weather or not to colonize or purge a planet.

I have this one short novel about these two space marine commanders that slowly give way to the voice of chaos, and become chaos lords as the story ends. One guy becomes a follower of nurgle and his body dissolves into this liquid goo over time untill only his spirit inhabits his terminator armor. The other guy has a really interesting story as he becomes a priest of Slaneesh and delves into a life of decadance and warfare (strange for an emotionless and genetically engineered space marine). The story ends when the two of them meet again on this asteroid in the chaos warp and fight to the death.

ahh i guess this is a video game thread tho...not a minatures game thread hehe.

Last edited:
THE WOOD said:
oh dont worry dude id commit GREVIOUS acts of violence to get a chance to regenerate my gene-seed for eternity and live an existance of purging aliens, mutants, and heretics a like inside my terminator armor with power fist

bloodangel.jpg

PHEAR THE ULTRAMARINES!

deep down inside tho, i know id be more at home as the machine spirit of the finest of dreadnaughts.

Amen to that.

Just decided that a stipulation of my will when I die will be that my body is cryogenically frozen unthawed upon the emergence of the God-Emperor where upon I will be returned to life and my gene seed will be preserved in continuum while I rampage the galaxy in my Terminator Armor.

I see no other future that can grant an equal level of satisfaction...

Blood for the blood god... my Bloodthirster is renowned for eating entire terminator squads/predators/balistas/gravtanks/necropalises/tyranid hives/nobsquads/ogryns whole.

man i just got back into playing counterstrike and day of defeat. having played CS since 1.1, i still havent lost my touch. Now that all the classic halflife games are no longer the prime force in the FPS world, its once again virtually devoid of hackers, modders (the bad kind), and other forms of grief players. Even fewer are the elite people with obscenely high ratios that deep down inside you know have to be hacking ;) . Im guessing everyone L337 is playing all them fancy Battlefield, MOH, COD (2), and other new online FPS games of that calibur. I got on and raped a server dry the other day, and I havent played in years. So i got bored and started TKing everyone and then killing the enemy team. Havent had rounds like this since CS was still in like 1.2 or 1.3 or so.

Still, id long for the days of 1.5 having 3 machines set up in my friend's room, passing pipe after pipe, and ghosting the hell out of everyone in dust2 and aztec.

oh yah i still have never used the friends feature on Steam so i dont really know how search/add people is done, but my handle online is "Packet Loss" if anyone wants to add me.

the wii is all that and then some. i got zelda, excite truck, and call of duty 3, plus wii sports which came with it and each one is fun as hell. i want to buy madden and monkey ball as well. this machine is the shit, fuck playstation and their six hundred dollar bullshit.

i've never been as jonesin for anything as much as i am for the wii right now.

well, maybe not never but can't the next 12 days go faster! :X:X:X:X:X

Apparently more Wiis are coming to stores unannounced tomorrow. Why must it be tomorrow? I don't want to fight black Friday-ers!

Last edited:
THE WOOD said:
man i dont get the worlds obsession with final fantasy. to me those games are like a really, really cool story presented by using the next button on the dvd player to get to each subsequent part. sometimes you have to press the next button lots of times for it to proceed. i think theyre cool in their own right, but damn FF is one of the most popular series in the industry. But i know most gamers are drooling right now over the new release...
Its funny really - I got on the FF bandwagon with FF8 - this single game was my obsession for over a year... then FF9 came out and it was such a dissapointment. 10 was a bit better but almost all eye-candy. "10-2" was simply an offense to most FF fans... 11 is just about non-existent since it is at best a mediocre MMORPG (effectively removing the "cool story" part that you mention) with rediculously high fees. So I started going backwards instead =D (FF6 is a real gem). Now with 12 out, it seems they have gotten back on track.

I think the secret to the FF success is a combination of luck and design, more so the former than the latter. Though FF is considered the benchmark for traditional japanese-style RPGs, I gues you can say that the Diablo games were the benchmark for the American-style RPGs and Ultima Online was the benchmark for MMORPGs.

In any case, I think there are definitely better games coming out of Japan. Vagrant Story is the first thing that comes to mind. Valkyrie Profile (the original one by what used to be Enix (now bought up by Square!), I don't know how the new ones are) is a close second...