• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Video Game Discussion

Final Fantasy Tactics was the best game ever made.

I just wanted to point that out to everybody. =)

oh dude i take that as a low blow, not gonna go into a huge debate but IMO a "benchmark" for a genere HARDLY equates to its popularity. Diablo, while a cool title that I played (I and II and expansion) to fullest extent, is only about as interesting as hearing that left mouse button CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK...

imo FF is an interactive story, and about the furthest thing possible from an RPG.

I mean as far as american/british rpgs go, can u really compare Diablo to something like the Wizardy series? The Ultima series? Krondor? Dark Sun? Elder Scrolls?

Actually Elder Scrolls probably even exceeds Diablo in sales. Im not saying diablo sucked, but I wouldnt even list it in a top 10 for best RPGs based on content, interactivity, and other various gameplay dynamics. Its popular because its company are marketing genius, and not exactly clever at game design. Actually I cant think of a single Blizzard title that was original in any way, all their games are basically watered down versions of older games.

Dont know too many japanese titles outside of FF but ive always seen the FF series as the bottom of the totem pole (and all those tons of other games that tried to ride on its monetary popularity, like Starocean and the sort).

chrissie said:
Apparently more Wiis are coming to stores unannounced tomorrow. Why must it be tomorrow? I don't want to fight black Friday-ers!

haha my dad said he witnessed a fight on thanksgiving day, or maybe it was friday, i forget, either way, he allready witnessed a fight over the Wii. He started telling me some story about seeing two women fist fight eachother in a store back in 1983 over a stuffed pound puppy doll. Guess the violence over limited resources scenario really is embedded into our nature.

B000922E0S.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Just got Activision's Call of Duty Deluxe Edition (COD2 wont run on my proc, doesnt have extended instruction sets games are all coming out with these days).

Overall this is a great game. There are a few major aspects of it that really piss me off, but id def reccomend it to people into FPS (it sure as fuck is no competition for the halflife games, thats for sure).

Very smooth gameplay, decent graphics engine, very realistic and historically accurate as far as environment goes. Storyline is really cool too, only thing i hated is when you destroy the tripitz cuz thats totally robbing history of what is one of the greatist espionage feats of all time. I really liked their depiction of the russian front tho, highly accurate. Its really addicting, i pretty much beat regular COD in one night in regular difficulty mode, and am onto the expansion allready. Just couldnt stop wasting them nazis.

They excel at creating a realistic environment, immersive gameplay, and equally engrossing storyline. The game has the solid "fun" factor. I also think its really cool adding extra dimensions to gameplay, like using flak guns, heavy machine guns, aircraft weapondry, things like that (course i think the Battlefield series does it better, but thats more focused on multiplayer while Call of Duty is a lot better single player title).

Now the fact that Maxim magazine rated this "5/5 stars" should clue you in that this is probably going to be a spray fest for nubs who just wanna sit around slaughtering hapless targets with no real resistance other than game engine interference.

What I detest about this game is the nonexistance of the AI engine. Also there is extremely simplified collision detection, which really takes away from realism.

The antagonist objects (nazis) have access to your exact XYZ location in the game world at all times. This is pretty f'en lame. At this point in the industry's development, simple agent AI is *NOT* at all hard to create for an FPS. Amateur's make their own AI bots all the time for games like Halflife (CS/DoD). Why cant Activision spend another week or so in the games development writing about 15 lines of code and debugging it? Really tells me who theyre trying to market to here, defying accepted standards in such away. Then again I believe this title originally was designed for console systems...

What this does is make any form of stealthlike or otherwise "sneaky" gameplay impossible since the mobs only dont have knowledge of your location when theyre scripted not to. Once the game engine triggers their awareness, they basically have xray vision and radar and satellites pinpointing your every move.

Also on some levels, when you outsmart the AI and find a nice little nitch where it cant path its way to you but you can slaughter it, the game engine presses its "i win" button and blasts you with invisible artillery that materializes from the etherworld of games beyond.

Your allied troops scripts flow very nicely tho, im very impressed with that. I tried for a while to glitch their actions by blocking their paths and killing key people off and whatnot - the game maintains some realism here b/c its difficult, if not impossible, to disrupt the flow of the game by disrupting your own troops actions.

IMO the gameplay factor takes a massive hit with the lack of real AI.

I also hate the collision detection. Its def accurate, but its so oversimplified. Every object has a set number of hitpoints (you and your troops having a hideously larger pool than the enemy of course), and some places do more damage than others, however, it hardly reflects any realism. I feel like im some space age combatant half the time with a force field, getting shot 45 times by a machine gun and just grabbing some health packs like it aint no thing. You can shoot an enemy directly in the face, and they kind of scratch it off and keep charging. The CD doesnt seem to really differentiate a whole lot between ares of the body, except for the head which seems to do more damage. Also, you cant shoot through even the thinnest of walls, you cant shoot at an angle through doorframes, hell, you cant even shoot through stupid things like ropes and guys on catwalks and crap like that. Terribly oversimplified collision detection. Again, just a couple more lines of code and the game would be a lot more solid.

Even simple homemade games in OpenGL have more advanced AI and CD than this title.

So basically it boils down to what kind of gameplay you like. If you like to be real tight in FPSs with movement, slick manuevering, and L337 HS's, go back to Counterstrike: Source. Allthough it does not compare whatsoever to a title like Doom 3 as far as FPS immersion goes, this title is a lot more focused on interactive artwork and linear storytelling than more competitive shooters. Its a great game and well worth the purchase if you enjoy FPS mayhem.

although I'm not a fan of the click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click action of Diablo, i know when credit is due.

THE WOOD said:
Its popular because its company are marketing genius
in regards to Blizz's past hits (Warcraft I-III, Starcraft, Diablo I-II)...
What kind of genius marketing was implemented?
I recall just seeing the usual ads in gaming magazines or the typical ad on a webpage?
Blizzard has become popular, because they produce games with solid gameplay, excellent visuals (hello? blizz cutscenes are some of the best in the biz), believable voice acting, and in-depth stories/lore.

THE WOOD said:
Actually I cant think of a single Blizzard title that was original in any way, all their games are basically watered down versions of older games.
The Lost Vikings = original

and none of Blizz's blockbusters were/are "watered down."
there's a reason Blizzard constantly delays the release of their games.
they strive to produce and maintain a well-balanced and intriguing game.
for example, they have released two patches for Starcraft in 2006 and eight in 2005 to continue balancing the gameplay when gamers find an exploit.
what gaming company continues to patch their 8 year old games?

Blizzard even developed a free multiplayer gaming forum for their titles. Battle.net.

i don't think you give Blizz the credit they deserve.
they've been able to flourish in a cutthroat gaming biz and have managed to not get bought-out by EA.

and non-blizz related:
THE WOOD said:
imo FF is an interactive story, and about the furthest thing possible from an RPG.
haven't played FFXII yet, huh?
pure RPG.
you don't pick a black mage or a white mage.
you aren't bound by a pre-determined set of characters.
you start off with basic characters and you get to choose what talents are opened for each.

Last edited:
lol blizzard ftl. the fact that your defense of their reputation reverts to a platform scroller is a pretty solid example in its own.

they take a quick glance at the hot designs surfacing from products developed by fans and hobbyists, and then make cheesy 3rd rate rent-a-engine versions of them and mass market them to consumer bases of people who play games as the role of consumers, not as the role of hobbyists. Starcraft is one of the worst games of all time, RELATIVE to what the industry offers and has offered. Its nothing but a pathetic rip off of all the scifi titles GW has created, just electronic. EVEN the damned themes within the game are just childish versions of pre-existing mythos (ie - races, racial attributes and traits, artwork, etc). Warcraft is the same exact thing. Scroll a few pages back and ull see my rant on WoW, quite possible the worst mmo ever released. Again, this is all relative to the rest of the industry. On their own with no relative comparison, blizzard does make some great games.

I have the entire warcraft (1, 2, 3, all expansions...still waiting on the continued expansion for three damnit!) collection at home sitting up on a shelf. I certainly still have the original box with the good ol' floppy disks inside them. I wouldnt ebay it unless i was starving. I loved all the games. I just think its silly to regard Blizzard as a respectable company.

In fact, I was so into wc3, that I would spend hours in the world builder making my own mods. The game is so wonderfully simple that you can create your own kickass games with the world builder with ease. just stating this to say im not trying to be snobby bout games, i just rrrrrrrreally hate seeing these corporate giants absorb all the industry's attention and shit all over the real driving force behind the video gaming industry (EA! Its in the shame!).

IMO blizzard does this: hey, this company so and so has a fanbase of maybe 20,000 people globally, but has some wonderful and ingenuitive ideas! lets take their ideas, give them different names, grossly oversimplify them, and then mass market them to consumers (not hobbyists) and make millions! They see what sells, the emulate it, poorly. In fact, it was BECAUSE of warcraft that GW refused to allow anyone the rights to creating an rts version of their games (untill about 3 years ago) because they found it hideously insulting. A lot of company's approached GW with huge checks asking for the rights to an MMO, and none of them could prove that they werent going to just make some crap ass game trying to make a buck just riding on their coattails.

If Sony and Games Workshop had never existed, blizzard entertainment would probably be making Design Barbie's Dollhouse 4! Deluxe Edition Boxed Set!!!

imo real game hobbyist companies died with osi, microprose, and their kin. the industry is leaning so heavily on just marketing whatever will produce the most income from consumers. who cares? people who were into these hobbies long, long before it became buisiness oriented (as opposed to fan oriented).

one of the chief principles of game design is the argument of art vs money. Many game designers argue that it is this sole motivation that allows you to seperate a real game from consumerist junk. Chris Crawford, a pretty decent game design critique, has an awesome hierarchy for discerning the definition of a "game" vs many other interactive pieces of software masked as such. U can find his books on amazon, theyre great reads.

Course ill always stand by the wise words of one of the greatist game designer's of all time, Sid Mier, when getting my fingers dirty in a new title.

Allowing companies like EA or Blizzard to represent the comptuer/video gaming industry is like allowing McDonalds or Burger King to represent the culinary arts industry. Some people dont give a flip if their chicken comes in nugget form. Some people take the creation of their food very seriously. To each their own, but i say fuck the corporate giants.

Speaking of new titles...

Dark Messiah? Not a bad game. In fact, im noticing a lot of games still in their design phases right now focusing on the Midevil FPS theme. I have a demo for it, its free if you have steam, allthough im sure you can find it on IGN or fileplanet. Looks strikingly similiar to Hellgate London (still in alpha), or an older title Heretic. I loved heretic, and Dark Messiah looks a lot like heretic with badass graphics, more midevil lore and gore, and better world ineteractivity. Think doom, but with axes and crossbows and magic spells. Course with Hellgate London I expect it to flop not because its a bad game, but because its jumping into the MMOG bandwagon. I hear abotu a new MMO every other day it seems, and given the nature of the genere, there is only so much room for success in maintaining a title and its employee base.

Saw a demo (just video) for the new Turok. If they really create an AI engine like theyre saying they will (again back to my discussion of CoD, AI has really taken 12 steps backwards in the last couple of years), the Turok for Xbox 360 is going to be one of the most revolutionary FPSes of all time. The dinosaur AI is allegedly going to be able to stalk you with actual predatory/prey AI design, commonly employed and tested in the US Military. Its about damned time real Agent AI resurfaces in FPS. It comes highly reccomended with full surround sound capability, and a big ass screen.

Saw the new Dungeon Siege, and just laughed at it. Dungeon Siege is fun if you have a ton of cool drugs and lots of friends to play with on a LAN. Other than that, its nothing more than a COMPLETE 100% ripoff of Diablo with sliiiiiightly enhanced graphics and a far lamer storyline. Im not even going to give this game a chance, cuz playing the last one to completion was like jerking off with fiberglass.

haha... i think i get it.
you hate Blizzard. ;)

but i don't understand why you are faulting Blizzard for developing their own "hobbyists."
people who buy Blizzard games, just because they are made by Blizzard.
people who continue play to Blizzard games, even though they are 8+ years old.
people who have taken it upon themselves to develop their own campaigns/mods and even develop older Blizzard games with a newer graphics engine (ie Starcraft Revolutions).
people who write novels based in the Starcraft, Warcraft, and Diablo universes.

If Blizzard wasn't fan oriented and strictly consumer driven, they would stop patching Warcraft (not WoW)/Starcraft/Diablo, they would shutdown the *free* Battle.net, and they would probably make a Borat video game or something.

but that's just the $.02 of a Blizz fanboy.

i feel your pain, when it comes to patience-less corporations and the battle to outsell each other.
i've alway touted that the pinaccle of console game development lies with SNES.
back when these corporations would allow game developers to tweak their code; so that games looked better, were more in-depth, and just plain felt like a little TLC was put into them.
and all this didn't require any hardware upgrades.

now-a-days... developers just basically steamroll the market with all kinds of crap.
a king kong video game??? come on.
and if the players demand a better game... the corps & developers just wait till the next-gen platform comes out, instead of pushing the existing hardware to its limit.

at least you like Sid Meier. his work was (still is) genius. that bitch owes me alot of spent time in Civ (1-4). haha.

He along with Will Wright, Peter Molyneux, Richard Garriott, Jordan Mechner, Warren Spector (the list could go on and on) are all game designer icons.

but the days of genre-pioneering is gone.
i just don't see any new genres on the horizon.
everything is a copy of something.
all developers can look forward to is making the existing better.

i'll definitely check out Chris Crawford's writings.

Civ4 is a great game. I am a history person so I find it quite entertaining but I keep my playing down to just a game or 2 a month and try to have fun with it rather than take it seriously.

I'm looking forward to Spore whenever that comes out.

I was disappointed with Black and White 2. I had a lot of problems with it and they didn't patch it fast enough.. releasing broken games is pretty shitty business.

Oh and Galactic Civilizations 2 Dread Lords is a very good game. Sadly, its very complicated and the Tutorial is a joke so you're thrown into the mix with no clue how to play. The AI is amazing though and you can design your own ships with literaly unlimited options. People have come up with simply amazing designs.. from Star Wars to Star Trek to Babylon5 to custom ships... god its unbelievable. Only downside once you get past the learning stage is the 1 dimensional tech tree. Everything else is very cool though.

LOL civ4 (i got the warlords expansion too) def absorbed at least a month of my life last summer. my favorite aspect of that game is its finally complex enough to really have successful empire with no military dominance whatsoever - the cultural/economic/religious aspects of the game really remove the need for military might or space race. Of course nuking the whole planet is fun too. I really enjoyed seeing the Civ series evolve over the years, allthough I diddnt enjoy the spinoffs (like test of time, alpha centauri), civ 1, 2, 3, and 4 are some of the best games ever.

Sid Mier is redoing his railroads game. I really loved the original.

Saw gothic 3 was being released. Aside from some very poor AI and horribly and uneccessarily slow loading functions (For loading areas, saved games, even the game itself), Gothic I was a fun way to kill time. Nothing special about it. Multiple storyline pathways was really cool, but still too static to really create anything truely new for return gameplay. I diddnt think anyone at all had ever even heard of it, let alone played it, then one day i saw Gothic II in the store. I grabbed it and played it progressively over about a year. Its basically just an enhanced version of Gothic 1 just a continuation of the same storyline (which isnt bad, but still same old wizards and warlords and dragons and whatnot).

I diddnt enjoy gothic 2 very much cuz it was, as i said, basically same thing as gothic 1 but with more storyline. I dont like how the zones are layed out in a linear fashion according to difficulty, and most of the questing in the game is very loooooooooooooong, boring, and uninteresting. I can see a lot of people loosing interest in it 1/4 of the way through.

The game has some unique aspects. All the voices in the game crack me up, some of the wierd things your character can do that seem completely irrelevant to the fantasy time period also gave me a good chuckle (for example theres a side quest where you can steal a guys weed, and in the process uncover a whole ring of weed dealers that sit around getting stoned. When you smoke a joint, you get plus experience. This leads to you discovering to mix magic mushrooms with weed, and you can give it to people and get them fucked up. When you get high the world slows down and if you are a melee class, you can take advantage of slow-mode and kick 2x as much ass).

Mobs are waaaay to easy to kite. I was killing things that were impossible to kill numerically, but incredibly easy to kite away fuck up their pathing ability and just hit for 1 hit point of damage until dead. leveling up the normal way is a HUGE bitch, since there is NO mob respawn untill you enter a new chapter of the game, which can take a grudgingly long time. Theres a lot of tiny unforseen bugs, but nothign to really get your panties in a bunch over.

Ill probably end up getting gothic 3, but ill wait about a year till it ends up in the bargan bin like the first 2. I really hope they improve it from gothic 2, but if not i doubt ill make it past the first chapter due to monotanous the last release was.

Ill give the gothic series huge points for being so different from other fantasy rpgs given how all the characters in the game speak and act as though they are general 20th century people, and that the game overall has a completely different feel to it from any other RPG ive played. Just hearing some mighty paladin say "hey whaddup bro" or some vile necromancer say something along the lines of "my bad" was very entertaining. Plus there arent too many RPGs you can gain skill in searching for weed, rolling joints, and getting stoned. There is def enough content to keep anyone busy for a long time, but the question lies within is any of it really that fun.

====================================

saw some game at eb games that was a COMPLETE ripoff of the master of orion series, down to the tiniest aspect - EXCEPT (liek all ripoffs these days) very simplified, and dare i say, watered down. I cant for the life of me remember the title, or the designers/producers/publishers, and cant seem to dig it up with a search. Its basically orion with simplified tech trees, only 4 races, simpler (if any at all) micromanagement of planets, and for some reason has RTS for the space combat and turn based for moving about the planets. I woulda def gotten it just so i coulda found out how shitty it was, but it was $50. Damn if you rip off a game as legendary as the Master of Orion series, you dont deserve to charge more than $10 for it, then add to the fact that you make it a dumbed down version, i wouldnt pay more than $2 or $3 without feeling robbed.

[edit - even tho my post below is a game of the same nature which kicks ass, this one mentioned above blows, it was something like "sword of the stars" not sure but i convinced the store to let me get my money back lol]

=================================

heh saw on IGN some article about new psychological studies on "video games rotting kids brains." I thought that whole notion died 10 years ago when people realized it was just the former generation afraid to admit that their dinosaur brains cant keep up with modern technology? Im sure anyone conducting such a study doesnt have the mental capacity to understand even the simplest of game architecture functionality.

=======================================

Anyone else wear their crown upon a troubled brow?

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/743/743392/vids_1.html

Last edited:
roflmao. my step brother got to the last level like 200x and could never beat it so in a fit of rage he stabbed the game about 20x with a massive knife... and it still worked! hahahahahah

^LOL
L2R said:
GRAND THEFT AUTO
VICE CITY STORIES

anyone else lovin it? I just had my first two player game....
How does that work, then? Does the PSP have wi-fi or bluetooth or something? If so, does the second PSP need to have a copy of the game in order to run, or is the data shared by the two units?

/technewb

I was playing the most awesome video game last night.. it was basically like zombie mode in Counter-Strike:Source except with crocodiles and eventually dinosaurs came and I was the only one not being savagly torn apart by huge dinosaurs so I flanked them and shot them in the eyes with my Dual Elites..

Then I woke up though and now I wish it was a real game.

the commodore 64 was freggin awesome, i never had one, but i had pc versions of all the best games. the c64 def was a huge landmark in the dev of electronic gaming.

Just bought a freggin SWEET strategy game:

gc2dreadwars.jpg

Galactic Civilizations 2 (with Dark Avatar expansion)

At last, a sign that there are still some game designers out there with an inkling of maturity!

Sure, this game is basically a huge rip-off of the once great strategy titan, Microprose's Master of Orion, but Stardock software's Galactic Civilizations 2 is an outstanding piece. Anyone whos played MoO (1 and 2) will be very familiar with GC2, except this new title has much better graphics, an infinitely more well developed user interface (anyone who remembers moo2's constantly crashing interface will love this smooth new one), and appears to have a lot more detail in the micromanagement factor.

Fans of titles such as Civilization will love this game. Similiar concept: pick a race (you can customize quite a lot of details!), randomly generate a galaxy based on playlength (huge small whatever), build home planet, and take over the galaxy. Na its a lot more complicated than that, but thats the run down. Develop techs, design your own spacecraft (small fighters to huge motherships), battle on the economic front, engage in diplomacy and espionage, or engage in warfare (you may not have a choice). Always fending off galactic diseases, cosmic rays, space amoebas (sp?), that sort of thing. Anyways its a kickass game, i just did a quick run through but ima start a game for real now and post a better analyzation.

www.galciv2.com

im loving the fact that this was developed for retail in 2006, and its designed to run on a pentium 3 class machine. this was a direct implication, to me, that this was a well developed game and not some other crap console eye candy piece. I honestly purchased it jsut because it was designed for outdated machinery. Also, IT COMES WITH A MODKIT and you can create your own models, graphics, and scenarios. AI is much, much more clever than in older strategy games (now that we have multithread oses lol), and is compareable to Civilization 4. Online play is possible, but i dont believe this title is very popular (i havent tried it yet).

did i mention this game is full 3d? u can zoom, rotate, pan, etc just like in a 3d software dev package.

few screenshots i googled:
B2_PickRace.JPG

shot3big.jpg

hahahahahah ijust realized it says that one race's special tech is "miniballs." sux to be them.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Blasphemy, i take it all back allready. This game is nothing new, its basically the same exact thing as Civ 3-4 with space-age graphics. I hate getting stoned and getting way to hyper into shit! But yah this game would totally own if it wasnt a ripoff of civ and master of orion. still a fun play, but not worth the price when i can just use my dos emulator to play MoO.

Kul69 said:
I was playing the most awesome video game last night.. it was basically like zombie mode in Counter-Strike:Source except with crocodiles and eventually dinosaurs came and I was the only one not being savagly torn apart by huge dinosaurs so I flanked them and shot them in the eyes with my Dual Elites..

Then I woke up though and now I wish it was a real game.

Have you been watching Turok for XBOX:360? This game looks fucking intense. Im hoping it turns out to be one of the best shooters ever made. Its been in development since before XBOX 360 came out lol. Allegedly this summer.

Last edited: