• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Veganism/vegetarianism and "ethical" lifestyle choices

okay, postmodernism - every idea you encounter is new to you. the age of the idea is irrelevant - but we look at them for their value, now. and use them, now. i was talking about buddhism, which was very rational in the beginning.

I don't see why you should take on the whole package (a la be religious, for example buddhist) just because there's an odd good idea somewhere within the religion. Deciding on each question/problem on a case by case basis, using evidence and rational thinking, is better in my opinion.

group identity is powerful, for one. and there's just a matter of trust - most of the things i've learned under buddhism are palatable to me, so i'll give it some credit. besides, i like having optional woo. when my niece got diagnosed with brain cancer, i consulted the literature and found the medicine buddha and his sutra. also, i believe in the bodhisattvas, transcendent beings who forgo nirvana until all suffering in this universe is extinguished. i took the vow - 'so long as suffering exists, i, too, shall remain' (actually a lot more involved). micheal coreless, author of 'vision of buddhism' said 'after years of intellectual study, the buddhas became real to me'.

I liked the vegan kids in high school. They'd sit with me even though I was eating cheeseburgers and chicken nuggets. They wouldn't even say anything.

And they didn't act high and mighty.

Most vegans don't.
I don't know where the stereotypes about vegans being preachy food nazis comes from.
Probably the meat industry's promotions department ;)
But seriously, outside of over-zealous people in brief* militant-vegan phases, i've never known vegans to be the type of people to lecture or judge.
I'm sure they exist, but for my vegan friends it is just a personal commitment to live in a way that is true to their ethical beliefs.

* IME the overly extreme vegan types are often the ones back eating steak in a year or two ;)

Most vegans don't.
I don't know where the stereotypes about vegans being preachy food nazis comes from.
But seriously, outside of over-zealous people in brief* militant-vegan phases, i've never known vegans to be the type of people to lecture or judge.
I'm sure they exist, but for my vegan friends it is just a personal commitment to live in a way that is true to their ethical beliefs.

* IME the overly extreme vegan types are often the ones back eating steak in a year or two ;)

I don't know many vegans in real life, but the one I do know, my ex, was really the stereotypical one. We had many arguments on this subject, even though I'm in favor of veganism. The problem was that I couldn't stand the pseudoscientific and emotionally-driven arguments she presented.

Most vegans don't.

You should see my Facebook. It's full of people who think they're just the bees knees.

Facebook is filled with people who think they are something that they are not...