mister-green
Greenlighter
- Joined
- Sep 28, 2026
- Messages
- 5
After being given tramadol post-surgery, it felt as if a switch was flipped in my brain. I've struggled with depression, anxiety, and low self-esteem. The tramadol made me feel peaceful, hopeful, like taking a warm bath after being out in the cold for too long.
I've done a lot of reading on opioids lately and have learned I need to be very careful not to start abusing them. That being said, I was wondering if people have been able to successfully use tramadol as a tool for improving their life.
To give an example: I recently took a 50 mg tablet before attending a social event, and learned that simply being relaxed and easy-going is key to pleasant conversation. Although I was aware of this on a conceptual level for a long time, I've been finally been able to put it into practice. This gut-level realization has carried over into the rest of my life, even when not under the influence of tramadol.
I've talked with my doctor about this, he told me he wasn't going to prescribe tramadol off-label. He was willing to let me try conventional anti-depressants. These have been quite disappointing however: few discernible positive effects, lots of horrible side-effects, so I've stopped using them. I currently live a reasonably functional life: I work and have a good relationship.
Say I decide to keep experimenting with tramadol. Are there rules I can set to improve the odds of doing it in a safe manner? I already keep track of the doses I'm taking. I was thinking of the following:
I've done a lot of reading on opioids lately and have learned I need to be very careful not to start abusing them. That being said, I was wondering if people have been able to successfully use tramadol as a tool for improving their life.
To give an example: I recently took a 50 mg tablet before attending a social event, and learned that simply being relaxed and easy-going is key to pleasant conversation. Although I was aware of this on a conceptual level for a long time, I've been finally been able to put it into practice. This gut-level realization has carried over into the rest of my life, even when not under the influence of tramadol.
I've talked with my doctor about this, he told me he wasn't going to prescribe tramadol off-label. He was willing to let me try conventional anti-depressants. These have been quite disappointing however: few discernible positive effects, lots of horrible side-effects, so I've stopped using them. I currently live a reasonably functional life: I work and have a good relationship.
Say I decide to keep experimenting with tramadol. Are there rules I can set to improve the odds of doing it in a safe manner? I already keep track of the doses I'm taking. I was thinking of the following:
- No more than 3 50 mg doses per week
- No dosing on consecutive days
- After 3 weeks, take a week off
- No recreational use
