• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Using Suboxone for 3 day detox

A short term detox protocol such as the one I described will not result in you having to detox from the buprenorphine used and will not prolong the withdrawal syndrome from the hydrocodone you are detoxing from. I have used this protocol many times before. It will all be over in a week, with some minor symptoms lingering for another week or two - but those are from the hydrocodone and would be experienced regardless of whether you use the buprenorphine. I am speaking of slightly malaise, minor sleep disturbances and slight GI discomfort that is the nature of kicking a habit.

You'll be fine and will heal quickly as long as you are able to stick to your plan of using buprenorphine for a week and staying away from other opioids.

Thank you so much Toothpastedog. Im am so afraid to even look at any othe opioid right now due to what i have heard. I will definitely not touch anything but the subs. I am so ready and i know i can stay of the norcos cause i only got back on them due to a surgery i had. Like i said im just so afraid of wd being even worse because of the subs. I only want to just get past the worst wd and i will deal with the rest. So thank you again.

You are welcome, it is my pleasure. Keep up the good work and good luck to you.

Just read your post toothpastedog. Where you gave advice to 37seanm. I am in a similar situation is considering using buprenorphine 4 up to a week if necessary. Have been on 70 milligrams hydrocodone for 10 months 40 milligrams for 5 months before that. I've taper down to 40 per day. My psychiatrist suggested using buprenorphine for about a week. I was hoping that being on the buprenorphine for that. Of time would leave me with very little to no withdrawals. But from what I've read I'm still going to end up with hydrocodone withdrawal anyway.

But from what I understand being on the buprenorphine will lessen the withdrawals from the hydrocodone is that correct. Dr. Really didn't explain that part to me. I have a ton of anxiety already and just can't really handle much more suffering if I'm still going to have withdrawals. I'm also considering just to continue tapering down from the 40 milligrams I'm on now for about 3 weeks and try to jump off at a very low dose then. But on the other hand I do want to get off them as soon as possible.

I was on him for 7 months before only 40 milligrams and was able to taper off with very little withdrawal. I'm just trying to figure out the best route here. Doctor didn't give me clonidine to help with withdrawals after I finish the buprenorphine. Obviously I would start out with just enough to not make me sick and feel ok and then taper off for about a week is what I plan to do. What do you think about this plan. The other issue I had I did try taking buprenorphine a while back for a few days and it seemed to give me a lot of trouble sleeping as it stays in your system over a long time so that's another issue with my apprehension of using buprenorphine method.

I know you're not a medical doctor and everybody's different but what's your opinion if I did stick out the buprenorphine for a week and taper down on it come off it how bad do you think there withdrawals would be from 40 milligrams of hydrocodone is what I've taper down to now. Actually just jumped from 45 down to 40 today so I feel okay but still crappy as I have through the whole tapering process. When tapering from the 70 2 40. Over the past 3 weeks. Also that 40 milligrams has been reduced 2 10 milligram dosages at a time.

When I was taking 70 milligrams a day I would take 30 or 40 milligrams at a time so my body was used to bigger jolt. So the tapering to low dosages hasn't been easy but I've done it. I've read other people's opinion that they don't even bother using the buprenorphine for that level of the dependency but I guess everyone has their own opinion. Any input you would like to give me on this I would appreciate it.

Been driving myself crazy and my anxiety higher trying to figure out the best route to get off these things with the least amount of suffering. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Toothpastedog:
I am just so scared to be on these subs. I feel like im just prolonging the norc wd. Is it normal to feel like im high after i take 3mg. I just feel very weird on these like they are really really strong and that im not going through the norco wd. Its like im just replacing the norcos with the subs and the wd will start all over once i stop the subs. My anxiety is so bad right now cause i guess i just dont understand how the subs work. Im i still wding from the norcos while taking the subs or is it like im just tappering down but just using subs and not norcos? Like i said just really dont understand how they work or how im supposed to feel on them.

I will get to this later today, just wanted to let you know I just saw this and will get back to you as soon as I have the time. Keep your head up in the meantime, everything will be just fine in the end as long as you are able to be kind and gentle with yourself. Talk to you soon! <3

Toothpastedog:
Ok others have answered me back on here and are saying that i am just prolonging the wds. And that im just making them worse cause subutext is so much stronger than the norcos. I wanted to know what you think cause you said you have done short tapers with subutex before and you seem to know what you are talking about. The last thing i want is to make my wd worse. I just want to make them a little easier. I have about a month to get clean. And i am so will to do what it takes. I really dont want to take anything anymore. I was on the norcoe for an injury to my back but i have fixed that problem. So i dont need pain meds anymore. Its just my body goes into violent wd when i try to stop. I have counseling and meetings setup to help the mental part of this. I just need to know what to do to get past the physical wds. They are so many different opinions on here i just dont know what is the best way to go with these subs. Im just so lost on all this now.

Doing a short taper, as in a week, on buprenorphine won't prolong anything. You won't be on buprenorphine long enough to become dependent and spending a week on it will allow you to get through most of the hydrocodone withdrawals without having to suffer. Not doing a short low dose course of buprenorphine if it were accessable would be silly.

Toothpastedog:
Ok thank you do much. I will not listen yo the other ppl on hear cause i dont believe they have done subs this way and may not know what they are talking about. You said you have done it this way before yourself and did not experience hardcore wds. So i will go with what you said. As you know hearing from others saying that you are, as in me, am doing to it wrong or even making it worse throughs me into a panic attack over all this. So again i will go with what you said and just shut the rest out. Thanks again.

37seamn; I am right here with you! Very nervous but I have been following this post for a week or so, preparing myself. I started this morning. I only have 1 8 mg. so I cut it into 6 pieces. I only took enough this morning to stop the WD. So far so good. I am going to taper down every day for the next 5 days. Then stop. I have been using oxy for 3 year at 80mg a day. I am done being dependent & want my life back & it starts today! I am very nervous today but that's it, I know this isn't going to be a cake walk but I will do what I have to, to get through it for myself!

37seanm:
You are very welcome my friend, happy to be of service :)

Watkinml:
Nice work! You've got a good plan. Just remember to be kind and gentle with yourself during this process (that advice really can be applied to anyone going through anything difficult TBH).​

Toothpastedog: I want to say thank you so much for all the advice!! It really has helped me! I am doing well & really excited about being the person I know I can be!

Hello I decided to follow this thread as I'm detoxing a pretty good h rabbit and I only have four days I took a random short vacationfrom work to handle this. I got about 60mg in bupes and the Orange subs. last use yesterday 5pm took a whole 8mg bupe at 10am today feel better then i did in w/d my legs are restless and I just feel like 5% of myself I know if I take another today it will only be 4mgs and after 6pm ill keep posted but I can't get stuck on this and i have to be abke to fully function for work on Saturday got to much at risk i gotta get my ish back together.

Proper med user:
If i had enough hydros i would have just tapered off those as i have done before with little wds. I went on the subs cause i have been taking 20 t0 25 hydros a day. Needed to stop fast cause all that acetaminophen was going to kill my liver. And i dont have enough hydros to tapper off from. 40mg is not to far off from being done so if you can and have enough just taper off. It just seems like your so close to being done with them that starting subs seems like a lot.This sub thing is freaking me out and all the stuff ppl are saying on here. I wish i had enough norcos to do a proper taper. It was really not that bad when i did it in the past. The subs seem to be very strong compared to the norcos. I mean with the amount of norcos i was taking im only using at most 4mg of subs. I would think that tapering off hydros would have been easier cause once you get down in your mgs you can get 5mg hydros and even split those in half to get even lower to help your taper. On the subs i have i can only split them so much and the smallest piece i can get them in to is still pretty much equal to one 10mg norco. Just seems less stress and hassle if you can just taper from your hydros. Just my opinion cause you sounded like your situation was like mine just your already tapered down so much and i was not able to.

Day 2:
I started this yesterday morning. I only took 2 mg. & only felt little WD all day, nothing last night only took Claudine to help with sleep. I slept about 6 hours. Woke up at 5:30 & defiantly needed the Sub, so I was able to take only 1 mg. to take away some of the WD. I kept myself extremely busy yesterday cleaning & doing laundry. After taking only the 1MG. This morning to take away some of the WD. I am up drinking coffee & fixing to exercise. It's seems that even though I am only taking enough of the Sub. To only hold off some of the WD, if I stay busy it's not as bad. Hopefully I will be able to continue & be done on Saturday as planned. When I jump off I plan on only using clonodine & Gapupintian as needed.

Doing a short taper, as in a week, on buprenorphine won't prolong anything. You won't be on buprenorphine long enough to become dependent and spending a week on it will allow you to get through most of the hydrocodone withdrawals without having to suffer. Not doing a short low dose course of buprenorphine if it were accessable would be silly.
Toothpastedog
So far so good. Although i have been having a few ppl on other threads telling me to stop taking the subs cause i should have never been put on them. That i just prolonged and probably made the wd worse. They said the subs are way to strong to be on for a norco addiction. But if i was taking 20 to 25 norcos a day and of im down to .5 of subs a day than how is that way to strong. One guy said he went on them for a vikes and messed him all up cause they are so much stronger. I know the subs are stronger than the norcos but there is no way that .5 subs is as strong as 25 norcos. Well today is day 7 on subs and 8 days without norcos. Do you think if i went 10 days on the subs if need them would be ok and would i not get addicted to the subs. And will that keep me from getting the wds from either subs or norcos. I mean the the hard wds i get there will be some. Just dont want to be laid up in bed.

How long were you taking 200-250mg of hydrocodone?

200mg of hydrocodone is equivalent to approximately 2mg of buprenorphine. So taking 1mg twice a day is not at all unreasonable if you had been using at least 200mg hydrocodone per day for a significant length of time (long enough to become dependent).

If you have been off the hydrocodone for 8 days by now your through the worst of the acute withdrawal and should taper off or just stop taking the buprenorphine completely. You haven't been on buprenorphine long enough to become dependent on it, though if you stop taking it completely right now you will likely experience some minor after effects of the acute withdrawal from the hydrocodone detox.

I suggest you taper down off the buprenorphine over the next two to three days, reducing your dose by like 50% per day for two to three days then stopping it completely if your intention it to stay away from all opioids.

200mg of hydrocodone is equivalent to approximately 2mg of buprenorphine. So taking 1mg twice a day is not at all unreasonable if you had been using at least 200mg hydrocodone per day for a significant length of time (long enough to become dependent).

If you have been off the hydrocodone for 8 days by now your through the worst of the acute withdrawal and should taper off or just stop taking the buprenorphine completely. You haven't been on buprenorphine long enough to become dependent on it, though if you stop taking it completely right now you will likely experience some minor after effects of the acute withdrawal from the hydrocodone detox.

I suggest you taper down off the buprenorphine over the next two to three days, reducing your dose by like 50% per day for two to three days then stopping it completely if your intention it to stay away from all opioids.
I was on the norco for over 6 years total with a 1 month break totaly clean. Than back on cause a surgey. And now been on norco for over a year now. And yes i dont want to be on anything anymore. I plan on not touch anything at all.

I would sure hope that they aren't right as far as prolonging the WD. I have been following this post for a little while & haven't heard of that.

I would sure hope that they aren't right as far as prolonging the WD. I have been following this post for a little while & haven't heard of that.
It was on another thread where they are saying the total opposite of whats on this thread. That what is making me so crazy cause its like what do we do. No one wants to make the wds worse. But some of those on the other thread had not tried subs for a short time. And some have but seemed like they used them for a long time. They dont seem to give much info except for saying that i. Fucking up and making things worse by using subs. But toothpastedog said he has done this short term sub use and it worked everytime.