• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Using DXM to help taper Heroin

Seanbbb

Greenlighter
Hello,

A friend of mine has been using East Coast powder for the past month an a half, ranging from .2-.5 g a day, recently IV although before the same amounts were insuffalted. I know that DXM is used as a potentiater, and also to reduce tolerance to opiate drugs temporarily. I want to help my friend get off of heroin by tapering down at first. I was wondering if it is a good idea to use DXM to help reduce tolerance and taper down to smaller amounts of heroin, or if doing so just potentiates the effects and will not help in the overall tapering process. My reasoning is that by reducing tolerance to a drug a person can reduce the withdrawal symptoms. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thank you.

Regards,
from a struggling addict

Definitely do not use DXM to taper him off like you suggested; if you taper his dose and add DXM to it, it has the potential of making the effects very VERY strong. DXM can make half a normal dose feel like a normal one and then some. Just generally not a good idea if you're trying to taper them down.

If you're going to use DXM to aid opioid withdrawal, it would be best not to use heroin with it. A small to mid range dose of DXM would be most effective, though obviously other measures would have to be taken with it (other withdrawal aids, when/if to redose DXM).