Writing-up Users of Legal Highs (survey)

SVWlincoln

Greenlighter
Hi, my name is Sophie and I am a final year Forensic Science student at the University of Lincoln.

I'm currently doing a dissertation on legal highs, with the help of my supervisor Dr. Mark Baron.

My project is looking at the prevalence of novel psychoactive substances (legal highs) and to gain insight into the safety users perceive they have.

I am doing a pilot survey aimed at users of legal highs., and would really appreciate any help from users to answer my survey questions so I can begin to create my full survey ASAP.

The privacy of the members will remain intact as I will be using the responses as statistics not naming people, it will be anonymous.

Thank you for your time!

Full Survey is now available at:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KBCHK6D

Thankyou!!

Last edited:
If you go to the surveymonkey website and add /s/G555KQC to the end of the address in the top bar it will lead to my survey - providing anonymous responses! Thanks :)

I've added the survey link to your original post. :)

Given you didn't mention otherwise I'm assuming this survey is accepting participants from anywhere in the world? Or is it only limited to users in the UK?

I've added the survey link to your original post. :)

Given you didn't mention otherwise I'm assuming this survey is accepting participants from anywhere in the world? Or is it only limited to users in the UK?

Thanks, and yes its available for anywhere in the world :)

Hi SVW

I have happily completed your questionnaire - it makes me feel a bit better for not doing my study today! I'm studying for a BSc in a different scientific discipline to yours - but I think the more we know about science as a broad subject, the more interconnected we are discovering 'The Sciences' to be. It is therefore out of purely scientific interest that I would love to understand a bit more about how the safety perceptions you are assessing relate to Forensic Science. My first impression was that the concepts and themes involved seem to relate more to behavioural and social psychology. But then, I suppose, these merge well with FS.

I can imagine that, for example, your findings may influence how cases of fatal overdoses are percieved. Or is this just me stereotyping 'Forensic Science' to scenes of death?

Any further info you can provide would be much appreciated - I would love to understand what I have just contributed by taking the time to do the questionnaire!! :)

Hi SVW

I have happily completed your questionnaire - it makes me feel a bit better for not doing my study today! I'm studying for a BSc in a different scientific discipline to yours - but I think the more we know about science as a broad subject, the more interconnected we are discovering 'The Sciences' to be. It is therefore out of purely scientific interest that I would love to understand a bit more about how the safety perceptions you are assessing relate to Forensic Science. My first impression was that the concepts and themes involved seem to relate more to behavioural and social psychology. But then, I suppose, these merge well with FS.

I can imagine that, for example, your findings may influence how cases of fatal overdoses are percieved. Or is this just me stereotyping 'Forensic Science' to scenes of death?

Any further info you can provide would be much appreciated - I would love to understand what I have just contributed by taking the time to do the questionnaire!! :)

Hi Movemauser, thanks for completing my survey!
In my course of Forensic Science we cover a broad range of scientific topics, including Drugs of Abuse, Toxicology, micro and molecular biology, analytical chemistry and therefore the topic of legal highs links in with toxicology and drugs of abuse. Forensic science doesn't just look at scenes of crime that is just a small aspect of the subject :)

Yes looking at legal highs link with post-mortems and toxicology. I am trying to discover how widespread the use and knowledge of legal highs spreads.

Thanks again for your time and don't hesitate to ask any further questions :)

Hi everyone,
Thanks to all of you that have completed the pilot survey! This survey is now closed and the full survey will be up and running hopefully by tomorrow so I would appreciate any responses I get :)

I will post the link to the new survey on here once it is all set up!

Thanks again everyone! :)

Had a great response so far guys! Would really appreciate more responses! Thanks to all of you who have replied so far! :)

Updated the thread status from Assignment to Recruiting to reflect the change from the pilot survey to the real thing. Also completed the survey myself.

There was one question I was a little unsure about, where the survey asked about my view regarding the safety of novel substances from safe to unsafe - given the amount of these substances I'm aware of and the vast differences in effects and safety between them I couldn't really answer one way or the other, so I feel like a "Depends on the substance/It varies" or even a "We don't know yet" option would have been handy, but I think I answered correctly for my view by just picking the middle "Neither safe or unsafe" option? :)

Updated the thread status from Assignment to Recruiting to reflect the change from the pilot survey to the real thing. Also completed the survey myself.

There was one question I was a little unsure about, where the survey asked about my view regarding the safety of novel substances from safe to unsafe - given the amount of these substances I'm aware of and the vast differences in effects and safety between them I couldn't really answer one way or the other, so I feel like a "Depends on the substance/It varies" or even a "We don't know yet" option would have been handy, but I think I answered correctly for my view by just picking the middle "Neither safe or unsafe" option? :)

Thanks Jesusgreen for the change of thread status! :) much appreciated! and thanks for completing the survey too!

I will take that in mind about the safety question, when it comes to the write up I will definitely take it into consideration and note that it was a difficult question to answer! Good advice, thanks! :)

Hi guys, doing some final pleading for you all to fill out my dissertation if you're a user of legal highs! :)

Only 4 days left to complete the survey before it closes!

Any responses will be much appreciated! :)