• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Unsure if i have a codeine addiction.

If you're using codeine for pain management then why get so hung up on whether you're addicted? If you need them you need them. Your doctor can manage your withdrawal if/when required.

I thought you were talking about recreational use...

If you're using codeine for pain management then why get so hung up on whether you're addicted? If you need them you need them. Your doctor can manage your withdrawal if/when required.

I thought you were talking about recreational use...

I just hate addiction, as say one time i take too many due to the pain and then im short on them i would feel withdrawels wouldnt it, but like i said if i have managed 2 days without as a test then what does that indicate...

At first i was recreationally using them until i got my doctor to prescribe them.

I just hate addiction, as say one time i take too many due to the pain and then im short on them i would feel withdrawels wouldnt it, but like i said if i have managed 2 days without as a test then what does that indicate...

At first i was recreationally using them until i got my doctor to prescribe them.

Now I'm confused. You started using recreationally then got a prescription for pain management? Is that for the pain you felt from withdrawing from recreational use? If so, the chances are you're an addict then. But don't get hung up on the terminology - addiction can be managed (especially with codeine )

Now I'm confused. You started using recreationally then got a prescription for pain management? Is that for the pain you felt from withdrawing from recreational use? If so, the chances are you're an addict then. But don't get hung up on the terminology - addiction can be managed (especially with codeine )
This ^

I dont think you're in pain, I think you're going through withdrawal.
Nothing wrong with that though, I used to have a serious codeine habit myself, but thank god I dont have that anymore.
Codeine might be one of the weakest opioids, but it can still pack a nasty punch when it comes to WD, especially if you've taken it in high dosages for a long time

..but like i said if i have managed 2 days without as a test then what does that indicate...

If this is weighing on you it might be time to try a 72-96 hour cessation, if pain levels will allow. It would at least answer the physical dependence question with a little more certainty as you could be okay after 48hrs with enough accumulation.

Also for pain, a moderate does of an NSAID can potentiate pain killing effects of pure codeine.

No i was being reduced on my tramadol then i started to CWE on co codamol to get the pure codeine for a few weeks then my doctor preferred to prescribe me them over tramadol. How can a codeine addiction be best managed ?

But given you say im addicted, what does the 2 days i can go without it stand for ?

This ^

I dont think you're in pain, I think you're going through withdrawal.
Nothing wrong with that though, I used to have a serious codeine habit myself, but thank god I dont have that anymore.
Codeine might be one of the weakest opioids, but it can still pack a nasty punch when it comes to WD, especially if you've taken it in high dosages for a long time

I am not withdrawing lol i know what withdrawel is, i suffer immense chronic back pain since i had an accident, ive also recetly had surgery. The most i take is 240mg per day sometimes going without it for 2 days, so given the amount of time it takes to leave the bodys system, i would have felt withdrawels in that time, no ?

If this is weighing on you it might be time to try a 72-96 hour cessation, if pain levels will allow. It would at least answer the physical dependence question with a little more certainty as you could be okay after 48hrs with enough accumulation.

Also for pain, a moderate does of an NSAID can potentiate pain killing effects of pure codeine.

Does 48 hours stand for anything ? I have gone this long without it and not felt a craving whatsoever, nothing to indicate addiction, im just wanting to be sure as i have dealt with addiction many times and promised i wouldnt fall to it again. But i suffer pain a lot i need strong pain killers but only when required if i can help it.

Does 48 hours stand for anything ?

It's a good sign imo, but not an absolute indication that there's zero dependence. I think it might be a decent test to try and go longer while evaluating if you're mentally and/ or physically tormented or maybe just a little uncomfortable. I've just heard of people that have been able to go a couple days without difficulty due to accumulation of opiates in their systems.

It just seems like the possibility of dependence or addiction is weighing on you, which I would consider a good thing as being mindful of the dangers is a responsible way to go. But there's only so much we can speculate on your situation, whereas a three to four day break might give you far more in the way of pertinent answers. If your pain levels allow of course. Just my 2 cents.

It's a good sign imo, but not an absolute indication that there's zero dependence. I think it might be a decent test to try and go longer while evaluating if you're mentally and/ or physically tormented or maybe just a little uncomfortable. I've just heard of people that have been able to go a couple days without difficulty due to accumulation of opiates in their systems.

It just seems like the possibility of dependence or addiction is weighing on you, which I would consider a good thing as being mindful of the dangers is a responsible way to go. But there's only so much we can speculate on your situation, whereas a three to four day break might give you far more in the way of pertinent answers. If your pain levels allow of course. Just my 2 cents.

Completely agree i will go for a 72-96 hour test. I can do it i know i can i dont feel a need for codeine.. As someone said before on a different thread as ive took max dose of tramadol for so many years i probably have developed a tolerance to the codeine with them being cross tolerant.. I can understand and think thats what it may be but i do like to hear more than one persons view. If anything its the tramadol that torment me and mentally have me addicted as i only take 2 50mg a day but feel withdrawels after 24 hour dose.

Your help and advice is brilliant on this website, it gives me much hope and willpower as if others can do it there is no reason i cant. Im speaking not high right now lol being absolutely truthful, the site is amazing. But yea i completely understand it will give me a better insight its just from what i read it said codeine is eliminated from the system since the last dose very fast so i imagined given that, that if i could go 48 hours it would indicate im not physically nor mentally addicted to codeine. But thats just me i know nothing about substance addiction.

You def have a point about codeine being short acting and the majority of dependent people don't go 48 hrs with ease, it's just that a bit longer would give a definitive answer imo. Thanks for the positive feedback regarding BL and I'm really glad you able to utilize it for positive change. Def update us with your progress.

I've never really been big into codeine myself (more DHC) but i assume their withdrawals are quite similar in a way (i think they're probably the closest two opiates) with DHC just being a bit stronger. I've been on DHC every day for over a year, usually about 600mg per day over the course of the day. I can't go 12 hours without the restless legs kicking in, along with the other early signs of withdrawals. From my view it seems like if you can go 48 hours without being in pain then i wouldn't say you're addicted physically, and from what i've read in your posts it doesnt sound like you were craving either, so i don't think you have an addiction.

You def have a point about codeine being short acting and the majority of dependent people don't go 48 hrs with ease, it's just that a bit longer would give a definitive answer imo. Thanks for the positive feedback regarding BL and I'm really glad you able to utilize it for positive change. Def update us with your progress.

I dont quite understand how its so short acting considering it converts to morphine once absorbed.. But yes of course i will keep the thread updated for others.. I will re quote you in this post in another 2 days to give an update about my progress in the hope it can benefit others in some way or another.

I've never really been big into codeine myself (more DHC) but i assume their withdrawals are quite similar in a way (i think they're probably the closest two opiates) with DHC just being a bit stronger. I've been on DHC every day for over a year, usually about 600mg per day over the course of the day. I can't go 12 hours without the restless legs kicking in, along with the other early signs of withdrawals. From my view it seems like if you can go 48 hours without being in pain then i wouldn't say you're addicted physically, and from what i've read in your posts it doesnt sound like you were craving either, so i don't think you have an addiction.

Never tried DHC nor do i know what its prescribed for or does, withdrawels from opiates are similar to heroin as opiates are derived from the poppy plant where heroin comes from so yea it can be really horrible.. The restless legs you get, i get from tramadol and its first sign of withdrawel/craving, not nice at all.

As for myself i dont crave it no, i really think due to the high levels of tramadol which is an opioid just like codeine is whats give me a tolerance to it and personally think it would take double the daily dose for me to become addicted but wanted bluelights opinion on this. I do however have an addiction to tramadol even though its just 2 50mg caps per day, its more of a habit now, i use to take 15 a day

I am not withdrawing lol i know what withdrawel is, i suffer immense chronic back pain since i had an accident, ive also recetly had surgery. The most i take is 240mg per day sometimes going without it for 2 days, so given the amount of time it takes to leave the bodys system, i would have felt withdrawels in that time, no ?
Okay, so I'll be real blunt then and say you're in total denial

Okay, so I'll be real blunt then and say you're in total denial

What am i in denial about ? Please tell me..

Maybe i have wrote my post wrong then as i know what withdrawel is, ive been through it twice on tramadol and diazepam, i wouldnt deny it, whats the point ? Especially on this website where we are out to help one another. All i wanted to know was if i can manage 2 days no problems, feeling fine, no cravings, no moodiness, anything at all. Does that mean im dependant on codeine ?

Im just getting people saying im withdraing and shit, i have boxes upon boxes of them, if i was withdrawing i would take them but i dont feel i need to, i take them when i WANT to not NEED unless its for pain of my chornic sciatica

I had a codeine addiction and I cured (or replaced) it with kratom. Kratom is a million times better and safer than codeine

There is zero evidence to back the claim that a plant from Asia convered on God knows what kind of chemicals or pollution...that has lots of pharmacological tagets besides the opioid receptor....is "safer" than codein which has decades of research behind it, is produced in highly controlled quality assurance facilities, and doesn't have a bunch of extra pharmacology...is more dangerous than kratom.

Never tried DHC nor do i know what its prescribed for or does, withdrawels from opiates are similar to heroin as opiates are derived from the poppy plant where heroin comes from so yea it can be really horrible.. The restless legs you get, i get from tramadol and its first sign of withdrawel/craving, not nice at all.

As for myself i dont crave it no, i really think due to the high levels of tramadol which is an opioid just like codeine is whats give me a tolerance to it and personally think it would take double the daily dose for me to become addicted but wanted bluelights opinion on this. I do however have an addiction to tramadol even though its just 2 50mg caps per day, its more of a habit now, i use to take 15 a day

DHC (dihydrocodeine) is pretty much codeines slightly bigger and stronger cousin, (that's how I like to think of it anyway).It's approximately 1.5x - 2x stronger than codeine. So I know all too well the withdrawals of opiates, and you're right, withdrawals are hellish little demons that I and many others try to keep at bay as much as possible.

My leg pains are also the first sign I get from my WD's kicking in, wonder if it's the same for most people who use opiates often.

There is zero evidence to back the claim that a plant from Asia convered on God knows what kind of chemicals or pollution...that has lots of pharmacological tagets besides the opioid receptor....is "safer" than codein which has decades of research behind it, is produced in highly controlled quality assurance facilities, and doesn't have a bunch of extra pharmacology...is more dangerous than kratom
Yeah sure, buddy