• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Unsure if i have a codeine addiction.

Inc3pti0n

Bluelighter
Ok so i have been using opiods for over 5 years at least now with also benzodiazapines inbetween. I am currently taking 2 tramadol 50mg capsules (prescribed) and also use 8 codeine 30mg tablets daily (usually 4 per 2-3 hours). I take the tramadol in a morning before work and 4 codeine upon getting home and another 4 2 or so hours later as the effects/pain reflief in codeine doesnt last long at all. I do think i have developed a tolerance to codeine through taking so much tramadol daily over the years, i was taking upto 12 a day at one point. However, so for about 8 weeks now i have been using 8 or less codeine 30mg per day along with 2 tramdol going down a dose 1 each fortnight to stop the tramdol totally and stick with the codeine only (THEY ARE NOT CO CODAMOL, THEY ARE THE PURE FORM OF CODEINE). My question is although i can go a day without the codeine even 2 days with no problem whatsoever as in all yesterday i had none at all, had none at all today, really havent had any for around 48 hours now (feel no cravings, edgy, fidgity, cofused etc, nothing to indicate i NEED codeine), so given that, does that mean i am NOT addicted/dependant on the substance codeine ?

I hate addiction hence why i only take 2 tramdol now, its took months and months of hard work to get to this point on the tramadol and now using codeine as an alternative, it was my choice to taper down on the tramadol NOT my doctors, he highly suggested i take these codeine if i want to stop the tramdol.

I also use (illicitly) diazepam just as a substitute incase i was addicted to the codeine and i should mention that i was issued/prescribed diazepam the last time i started to stop/taper on the tramadol but i dont want to ask my doctor again for them and come across as a drug seeker. I simply seek relief from chronic pain, there is a big difference. Eventually stop all prescription meds altogerther for as long as possible, until there is no choice other than to use prescribed items.

Thank you in advance.

Regards. :)

Last edited:
I wouldnt mind a reply here guys, im really anxious. I do my best to give adivice to posts that i can relate to

You mininimally are tolerant to the codeine.

You always play with fire mixing opiates and benzodiazepines. Be careful.

I woudn't go cold turkey, but a light (you decide) slow taper might help.

You may not be addicted in the classic sene, but highly tolerant.

Going a few days without says a lot.

You mininimally are tolerant to the codeine.

You always play with fire mixing opiates and benzodiazepines. Be careful.

I woudn't go cold turkey, but a light (you decide) slow taper might help.

You may not be addicted in the classic sene, but highly tolerant.

Going a few days without says a lot.

So going a few days without it means in effect i am not addicted just tolerant ?.. I am told as i was prescreibed both opiates and benzos together on script ant one boht, both the ones i mentioned in my OP.

But i am not going cold tukey or anything i taper down 1 tramadol per 2 weeks, and for the codeine which is on repeat repscription i take i more a less daily but mostly just when needed if honest, but like i say i can go days with out codeine to check i dont get cravings or withdrawels, so does that mean i am not addicted nor dependant ? I do not at all get cravings

If you are perscribed both, then the doctor knows. (benzo/opiate).

Still, be careful.

Only you know if you are addicted or not. You sound more on the tolerant end. I hope that is the case.

If you are perscribed both, then the doctor knows. (benzo/opiate).

Still, be careful.

Only you know if you are addicted or not. You sound more on the tolerant end. I hope that is the case.

That ia how it feels, i mean if i didnt have the tramadol i would feel cravings, hot flushes, symptoms of flu etc immediately after missing a second dose. However with the codeine it nothing like that, i feel completely normal. So yea heres hoping its just a tolerance issue. I just wanted more advice for experienced members. i

Thanks for you help though. But any other help or advice is much appreciated.

So going a few days without it means in effect i am not addicted just tolerant ?.. I am told as i was prescreibed both opiates and benzos together on script ant one boht, both the ones i mentioned in my OP.

But i am not going cold tukey or anything i taper down 1 tramadol per 2 weeks, and for the codeine which is on repeat repscription i take i more a less daily but mostly just when needed if honest, but like i say i can go days with out codeine to check i dont get cravings or withdrawels, so does that mean i am not addicted nor dependant ? I do not at all get cravings

At your level of use. If you can go 4 days without use of ALL of the drugs. and don't have withdrawal symptoms or problems sleeping. You are not dependent in any fashion.

I hardly doubt that would happen. Not sure how much your current use is, but i would expect some level of dependence from several 30 mg codiene and trams per day

Just take the plunge and quit. If you cant make it the past 4 days then start a weaning plan . I'd be more worried about the benzos tbh.

Inception don't go mixing tramadol with codeine and benzoes don't do that to your body and mind bro just stick with one codeine and raise the dose of you really want to get high or need pain relief I mean theirs no need to cancel your prescription or ask your doctor to take you off of the tramadols their free pills to stock up on right? ;) just looking out for you I've been on tramadol and it's a whole nother level of danger my friend.

IME if you can't go more than a day or two without thinking about it frequently then psychological addiction is a possibility. If you become ill upon cessation then physical addiction is a very real possibility.

Sounds like you are aware of this and looking to change, no better time then now. I wouldn't necessarily quit both meds at the exact same time though, as poly drug WD can reduce your chances of lasting change. Slaying one beast at a time seems like a better plan IMO.

Just take the plunge and quit. If you cant make it the past 4 days then start a weaning plan . I'd be more worried about the benzos tbh.

I only have a small amount of benzos, diazepam are a walk in the part to come of compared to opiates in general or tramadol for that matter, ive experienced both.

Inception don't go mixing tramadol with codeine and benzoes don't do that to your body and mind bro just stick with one codeine and raise the dose of you really want to get high or need pain relief I mean theirs no need to cancel your prescription or ask your doctor to take you off of the tramadols their free pills to stock up on right? ;) just looking out for you I've been on tramadol and it's a whole nother level of danger my friend.

I hear you brother, but the amount of time ive been on tramadol ive never had the chance to stock up due to taking them all the time but i AM going to give this a shot and re ask my doctor to up the dose again just to stock up for future use IF needed. I find taking upto 8 codeine 8 hours in between the tramadol to work a treat, i dont see nor feel any interactions between the 2, the diazepam i mentioned was for IF i had withdrawels from stopping taking the codeine.

At your level of use. If you can go 4 days without use of ALL of the drugs. and don't have withdrawal symptoms or problems sleeping. You are not dependent in any fashion.

I hardly doubt that would happen. Not sure how much your current use is, but i would expect some level of dependence from several 30 mg codiene and trams per day

So if i can go 2 days with no cravings, no sleep problems etc. What would this indicate ? I am not addicted, just tolerant ? Sorry to be blunt but i need a straight answer mate.

I had a codeine addiction and I cured (or replaced) it with kratom. Kratom is a million times better and safer than codeine

Okay let me rephrase, if I were in your position I'd switch to kratom for pain control.

And yes I think you're dependent on pain meds

I am phyically dependant on tramdol yes, but if you read my codeine situation.. Surely i cant be phyically addicted going 2 days without it with no cravings, no problems etc, especially given the time it takes to leave the system around (8 hours i believe )

Why not leave it alone for a week? Sometimes a low level habit can take a few days before it becomes apparent. There are two components to a full on habit - psychological addiction and physical dependence. Either one can hit first depending upon the person, but when both are in full flow there is a synergistic effect that makes abstinence extremely hard. Don't substitute with any other opiates during that week. Also, your use of benzos is muddying the waters somewhat.

If you can go a week with no issues, then your laughing. The hard bit is not starting to use again...

Why not leave it alone for a week? Sometimes a low level habit can take a few days before it becomes apparent. There are two components to a full on habit - psychological addiction and physical dependence. Either one can hit first depending upon the person, but when both are in full flow there is a synergistic effect that makes abstinence extremely hard. Don't substitute with any other opiates during that week. Also, your use of benzos is muddying the waters somewhat.

If you can go a week with no issues, then your laughing. The hard bit is not starting to use again...

I completely understand you but the fact in my case is that i HAVE to be on an opiate/opiod for pain as nothing else works for me however i dont want to develop a tolerance/addiction. The most i have gone without codeine is 2 days (48 hours)

I completely understand you but the fact in my case is that i HAVE to be on an opiate/opiod for pain as nothing else works for me however i dont want to develop a tolerance/addiction. The most i have gone without codeine is 2 days (48 hours)
But if you cant go longer then 2 days without codeine, doesnt that mean you're dependent??