Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Unpopular or Uncommon Opinions

What you're saying is less clever than you think it is.

The term "under-rated" in the Gary Goldman example is synonymous with snubbed.

The distinction you are making is petty, and it relies on your own finite definitions.

i'm not saying this because i think it's clever. i'm saying it because it's what i believe. i'm having a discussion. on a discussion board!

gary goldman, lol... :\

the terms "underrated" and "overrated" are words with finite definitions. they're not my definitions. i'm not arguing with the definitions of the words - i'm saying that their use in this context is of limited value.

you think that gary oldman is underrated (or has been "snubbed") - i agree, in this context, they're synonymous. the academy demonstrably disagrees with you and, when it comes to handing out oscars, their opinion matters a lot more than yours :)

alasdair

Yawn.

Goldman is a smartphone typo.

If they are synonymous then you also disagree with the word snubbed?

The Academy snubs films based on content/political orientation.

That is a fact.

By agreeing that the terms are synonymous, you have hit a dead end.

You are wrong, sir.

Good day.

Last edited:
Yawn.

Goldman is a smartphone typo.
note the smiley - the internet standard for telegraphing that i wasn't entirely serious given the clinical, tonelessness of the medium.

we were having a civil discussion then you started insulting me - telling me i'm trying to be clever by using the words i use. i threw in that comment as a little levity - to try to lighten the mood a little bit as it seemed to have taken a bit of a serious turn. that's all.
If they are synonymous then you also disagree with the word snubbed?
i agree that, in this context, "underrated" and "snubbed" are synonymous.

you feel the academy has snubbed goldman. i feel they give awards to people they think deserve them. it's irrelevant who i think deserves them as i'm not a member of the academy. has he been snubbed? no.

alasdair

The Dark Knight was cheesy and lame. The whole cast could die under a giant chandelier and it wouldn't make it any better.

we were having a civil discussion then you started insulting me

I'm REALLY starting to enjoy this thread. *munching on popcorn*

@CoffeeDrinker I wouldn't say it was lame or cheesy but Batman Begins is definitely better IMO. Better story better everything.

For the record alasdair I agree with you. Just laughing because this convo is starting to become all too familiar.

Alas is a contrarian nihilist. For all we know he's never heard of Woody Allen. This is just the stuff he thrives on, and he does it well.

Civility has no place online. Go see a therapist if your so hurt about it guy who hated on Woody Allen.

i'm not a nihilist - far from it. it's not clear why you're all now jumping on me but the distraction from the discussion speaks itself.

alasdair

^I'm not jumping on you. I'm totally agreeing with you!!! lol

Me and the guy you are having this discussion with just concluded a rather tedious discussion that partially stemmed from the same subject you two are now discussing. So I just find it humorous that it is being discussed again.

indeed.

perhaps the discussion is over-rated?

:)

alasdair

It's a travesty that Philadelphia was never recognized by the Teen Choice Awards for best romantic comedy.

*I've said it once, and I'll say it again: Pulp Fiction is good, but not mind-blowing.

*I liked Ghost Rider, and Titanic.

*I love Kung Pow!: Enter the Fist.