Underground Hip Hop

Last edited:
Favorite underground groups would have to be ICP n Twiztid. Let the hate begin:)

People shouldn't hate on ICP fans. It's totally their choice if they wanna waste their time listening to crappy music.

Not sure if I would call them 'underground', though. 'Underground', to me at least, always implied obscurity. Everybody knows about ICP, they just wish they could forget about them.

OT: Typical Cats

Well, if you like Aesop Rock, you should check out the Hail Mary Mallon album. Aesop Rock, Rob Sonic, and DJ Big Wiz.

People shouldn't hate on ICP fans. It's totally their choice if they wanna waste their time listening to crappy music.

Not sure if I would call them 'underground', though. 'Underground', to me at least, always implied obscurity. Everybody knows about ICP, they just wish they could forget about them.

OT: Typical Cats

Typical Cats are BOMB! Some Chicago shit right there. I would say I love anyone on Rhymesayers. Slug has kept somewhat underground regardless of how many followers he has picked up over the years. Brother Ali, Mac Lethal, my man Aesop Rock, Styles of Beyond, dig it.

Vast Aire - OX 2010 A Street Odyssey is ridiculously good . srsly one of the best hippity hop hop albums i've heard in... years ? lyrics are bonkers beats are bananas. really impressive production. i knew i was in for a treat when the intro dropped and it was a skit based on 2001 space odyssey when hal locks out dave. "i am an ox-9000 computer, the 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made, no 9000 has ever made a mistake or distorted information we are by any definition of the word full proof and incapable of error... ox-9000 in full control" then "nomad" drops n' i shit bricks 8o

Nomad

The Cannon of Samus

the older cage diss is the last track on the album too Vast Aire - Battle Of The Planets(Cage & Def Jux Diss) ft Genesis

genesis drops an insane verse talking bout being the dream intruder got em waking up screaming Kruger n' Dr. Manhattan racking up planets like pool balls wit the Bermuda triangle using space as a pool hall challenging archangels to a game of nine ball 8o

i guess when ur missing chromosomes you make retarded shit.

Got some Sage Francis going right now... Bridle (extended cut) :D

I just found all my old school and underground cds the other day, been on a throwback kick, lovin it.

Haven't really been up on the underground scene last couple years so I'm sure I'm missing some dope new artists, but some faves of mine are Jean Grae, Eyedea, Sage, all the Orphanage crew for that matter... Non Phixion, Society of Invisibles, Binary Star... so on and so forth.

WTF

Just saw that Eyedea died last year... sucks ass, fucking dope takes another talented musician. :(

I don't know if this qualifies as underground anymore, but Big L is my favorite MC of all time, and I don't even like Hip Hop or Rap too much. Motherfucker is sick. Just plain fucking sick. Three of my favorite songs by him:

Danger Zone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb2KfAAWlrE

Devils Son: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUawT_tl7sg&feature=related

Lifestyles of the Poor and Dangerous: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR51WgCzL1s

"Ain't no food in my fridge - Just body parts!"

Big L's punchlines are insane! You have to be born a lyrical genius to come up with those rhymes.

Couldnt find a trip-hop thread so rather than start a new thread thought I'd post here. Just wanted to say I'm disgusted with myself that I've only just listened to Jehst. Everyone kept telling me give it a go but genuinely kept forgetting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga69A6pdfxM

Some alternative hip-hop for people to chew on. It's okay if the song is too insane for your brain to handle.

Sole & the skyrider band have released two wonderful lp's (the 3rd in on it's way here's a track from it). Don't think the bones of my pets is the best introduction to their work. Their first album imo is a masterpiece, a sad day for investors, a hundred light years and running, sound of head on concrete, in paradise etc etc From the second project (Plastique) the children of priviledge and longshots definitely stick out
Well, sole isn't just another mc... he's a poet! And his solo albums (along with mansbestfriend projects, deep puddle dynamics etc) are so worth listening to.. that's a classic, that too!haha I could go on for hours talkin about him!
If one is really into that kinda abstract,experimental, spoken word stuff, Anticon records is his thing! so many wonderful artists have released their work there, like Sage Francis, Doseone, Buck 65, Alias, Why?, 13 & God (the new album rocks btw) etc etc

WTF

Just saw that Eyedea died last year... sucks ass, fucking dope takes another talented musician. :(
It's been quite a while, actually... Big loss

Last edited:
Big L's punchlines are insane! You have to be born a lyrical genius to come up with those rhymes.

He was. Lacey tells me he isn't underground, but I semi-disagree with her. If you come from NYC/NJ then you know about him, but the only people I have ever met in Miami who knew about him before I made the introduction were the person who introduced me and my former boss, who was obsessed with NYC/NJ rappers (they are the best).

I've been hearing Lord Finesse trying to copy his style lately, I know they were part of the same crew and all, but he isn't doing the man justice. Finesse just doesn't have it in him.

Oh, and a couple pages back I have a thread dedicated to him that only has a pathetic 12 posts in it. Please post something in there to do the man justice.