UK police chief: To reduce crime, we must end the war on drugs

Just saw this on the BBC website. I'm shocked on 2 counts. 1, that an ACTIVELY serving chief police officer has come out and said this, and 2, that the guy happens to run the force that's only the next county over from me.

ro4eva;11935365 said:
^^ Indeed, it sounds awkward. By the way, I apologize if I've been rude, or perhaps I come across like a smartass.

I think he was talking to me. I called Obama a robot cyborg android automaton sock puppet or something.

Tenchi;11856263 said:
Just saw this on the BBC website. I'm shocked on 2 counts. 1, that an ACTIVELY serving chief police officer has come out and said this, and 2, that the guy happens to run the force that's only the next county over from me.
will defo have a look at my funds next week. I've already looked at my purse this week and a cloud of famished looking moths flew out..

Street angels have seen fantastic results in the town i live in.

Pull your head straight down and you might figure it out. Comparing a man who was awarded a noble peace prize with a man who is wanted for war crimes should not really be that difficult.

neversickanymore;11857721 said:
All they have to do is realize that they will make exponentially more with so much less overhead and hassles working for a new drug system.. right you guys.. come on come on think about the money. Hey and for anyone that got offended buy this you will also no longer be doing a despicable thing so you will no longer have to you lie to yourself all the time, telling yourselves you are trying to do good, because you will actually be fighting the good fight, truly helping people, and doing the right thing.

NSFW:
[video=youtube;vVf6GJHkSHE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVf6GJHkSHE [/video]

I agree. very satisfying to hear a police chief say this truth to the public. what a brave, honest man.

I guess it would be a little more terrorizing if it was hovering over your residence all the time as it would kinda equate to a terrorist with a bomb standing in your living room.

seems like whenever a country tries this thing the us just amps it up in true child like reverse psychology fashion. end the war on drugs? no! we are going to turn it up to 11! were going to win this war! though it destroys communities, families, people and just continues the current cycle of the rich getting exponentially richer and the poor staying poor. when you are out on the bottom, there is nowhere to go. you cant get any poorer. however when you have millions upon millions of dollars made on the back of human misery, well then you can just earn interest on that money from other guys that mnake their money on human misery. i think about scrooge mcduck swimming in that giant silo filled with gold coins.

I understand the idea, save the world by toppling an evil rich or corrupt elite and take what you jealously desire.

Allot of us only desire a little more time to pursue what we feel is important and we realize that if the focus switched to improving lives for all that participate, instead of inflating up some bottom line for the wealthy. life would be allot better. Most of us look at the super greedy rich an do not desire their sickness or the shallow crap it provides. We would like to work a four day week and get paid a little better. We dont need all the useless crap, but in a system that's designed to make allot of us scrape by, after slaving hard for useless profits provided to greedy people, upon whose lives it will make no difference at all, we just want a little more of the pie and we want to use it in what ever way we want.;)

If technology was used to benefit the masses our standard of living would rise overnight to a station never even dreamed.

I am glad that a powerful official such as this one cares more about solving the problem of addiction than maintaining the status quo. While I don't agree with his opinion that all drugs are bad, his intentions are good and he bases his views on logic and experience. His strategy has already worked wonders in Portugal, and we need to consider it in all countries.

Has he been sacked yet?

At the end of the day, politicians are the deciders and I would not count on them: politicians don't align laws on the facts, they align facts on their laws.

I disagree that it would increase use. You can look to places where this has already been implemented and see that new users and teenage users has not increased. Thanks to education, many people don't want to risk becoming a slave to a narcotic. The majority of users use marijuana only. Forcing addicts and experimenters to the black market increases crime and murder and all the horrible things I have seen because I chose to use marijuana and had to deal with criminals because of this failed prohibition and drug war. All the people profiting from this is organized crime and street gangs and the prison industrial complex and all those dea ageints and law enforcement needed to enforce the laws. The system is obviously broken and needs a complete overhaul. What a great country this would be if users weren't clumped in with thieves, murderers and rapists.

AtheneNoctua;11971640 said:
in that veganism cuts out 90% of essential nutrition
it takes about 10 times more land to grow an acre of plant protein because the body can't assimilate it as well as animal
Wha?
These statements are clear evidence that you know very little about nutrition and growing crops, and that you have a bone to pick with vegans.
If you don't know anything, it is best to keep quiet.
Especially because this is not really the place for a discussion of the benefits or problems with veganism.
There is a forum on BL called "healthy living" where your discussion would be more thematically appropriate, though your evinced lack of knowledge might not....

Drug diversion would be practically non existant there would be no point in diverting drugs anymore and legit pain patiants would get proper amounts of medications easier and without dirty looks from doctors.

Drugs are bad mmmkay?
I agree with the officer, and that's a first!
Cannabis IS a gateway drug. I don't care what anybody says. You start buying weed you enter into a world of drugs. It's not long before your weed dealer has some acid that "you've just got to try!"
Weed itself I believe is harmless and the choice of whether to use it or not should be up to the consenting adult.

The police will NEVER win the "war" on drugs. As long as there's demand, there's sure as hell gonna be supply. They can wipe out poppy fields in Afghanistan day in, day out, it won't even make a dent. So they'll come up with new ways of detecting, and the dealers will come up with new ways of importation.
Let me know how that war's going in 10 years.

slimvictor;11971930 said:
Wha?
These statements are clear evidence that you know very little about nutrition and growing crops, and that you have a bone to pick with vegans.
If you don't know anything, it is best to keep quiet.
Especially because this is not really the place for a discussion of the benefits or problems with veganism.
There is a forum on BL called "healthy living" where your discussion would be more thematically appropriate, though your evinced lack of knowledge might not....
Are you saying an evinced lack of knowledge works for here?

Drfeelgood87;11876416 said:
Well written and well thought out. As a pain management physician, I have suggested this to our local leadership and am ostracized because of it.

In the other thread you said you were an anesthesiologist not a pain management physician... I'm also guessing you're about 26 which means you're fresh out of clinicals (please correct me if I'm wrong I'm going by your username which has 87 at the end of it) anesthesiologists keep people out during surgery (sorry for the EXTREME simplification) and then eventually seem to go into private practice doing nerve blocks cortisone injections and the like. You have to special in pain medicine to work as a pain management physician... and anesthesiologists and pmp's and are worlds apart in their training.

You obviously have a very solid pharmacological/cokinetic/ skillset as an anesthesiologist (and no doubt) use propofol midazolam fentanyl and probably a good bunch of the flurane's and other halogenated ethers depending on whether you're trying to achieve twilight (versed and fent) or full disinhibition of voltage gated potassium channels.. though the science is still kind of iffy as to how inhaled anesthetics work since different gases can have anesthetic effects at different barometric (hyperbaric) pressures when they are otherwise inert in the body at regular pressures. I can't seem to find any information on what the physical (not physiological/neurological) mechanism is behind certain noble gases acting as anesthetics at 4 x barometric pressure but if you know I would love to hear it. Perhaps increased pressures are causing conformational changes in the molecules or even the receptor physiology that the act on. Or maybe increased barometric pressures inhibit the enzymes which would normally prevent these noble gases from being able to stick around long enough to cause anesthetic effects. Maybe the higher pressure makes it harder for PGP to export what would otherwise be inert gases out of the brain because certain transporters and enzymatic activity can be affected by pressure.... in the same way internal organs can be compromised of their efficiency in cases of extreme pressure changes. We're designed to live in a certain pressure zone and maybe in instances where that's not true these substances act vastly different because something has prevented the body from metabolizing these inert gases due to increased barometric pressure. Maybe even because the noble gases tend to be hydrophobic and dissolve better in oil, they are able to move around more freely in the body through the blood without even saturating the blood because bp will go up in hyperbaric situations allowing the gases to make their way to the rest of the body without getting caught in a stream of blood and rather floating on top of it. but those are just theories. Something physical has to be happening in higher pressures creating anesthetics out of noble gases which otherwise would never have any anesthetic effect.

Anyways enough rambling. I aspired to be an anesthesiologist after almost going into the pharma industry (morally bankrupt, all of them) because I want to help people not push unnecessary and less efficacious drugs on them that bankrupt the patient each month. And believe me when I say this I have tremendous respect for what you do. But unless you also got a degree in pain management along with anesthesiology (which are not one in the same) then you aren't qualified to speak on pain management anymore than a pdoc. that's not to say you don't have any great insights or that you can't answer any questions... just that you didn't study pain management you studied anesthesia and the two are a decent amount apart. Pain management is for chronic pain and anesthesia is to get you through the surgery. A pain doc nowadays has to do a UA on every patient, check to make sure their drugs are in their system and nothing else is... and see them once a month. A pain doc has a pain contract which you sign and agree not to violate. granted this started happening back when Oxycontin because a big problem but since 2010 that's really stopped. Everyone who was addicted oxycodone switched to heroin or something else but with the price of pills vs heroin the majority of the suburban white kids starting smoking diamorph.

But like I said I very much respect what you do... I just don't know that you have the clinical experience or knowledge base to answer pain management questions as an anesthesiologist. If you did happen to specialize in both pain management and anesthesiology, than please accept my apology and I look forward to seeing you post.