• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

TV: Underbelly (AUS)

Xscores

Ex-Bluelighter
Underbelly is an Australian television drama series, based on the real events of the 1995–2004 gang war in Melbourne. The series began screening on 13 February 2008 on the Nine Network (and affiliates) in all states and territories except Victoria, due to a court injunction. Underbelly is a 13-part mini-series, based on the book Leadbelly: Inside Australia's Underworld, by Age journalists John Silvester and Andrew Rule.

Synopsis

The key players in Melbourne's criminal underworld, including the Moran family and their rival, the maverick Carl Williams, are featured using their real names.

The major factions, as presented in the story, are the Morans, including Lewis, Mark, and Jason Moran, the "Carlton Crew", which included Alphonse Gangitano, Domenic "Mick" Gatto, his lawyer George Defteros and Mario Condello, "the Russians", led by Nik "The Russian" Radev, and the Williams family, which included Carl Williams, Tony Mokbel, Andrew "Benji" Veniamin and, at different times, Victor Brincat and Dino Dibra.

The police investigators, Steve Owen and Jacqui James, are fictional, but based on amalgamations of several officers who worked on the Purana Task Force, which was charged with investigating the gangland war and halting the killing.

According to its marketing, the series "uses the framework of the murderous war between the two gangs, and the bigger moral war between the gangs and the Purana Task Force, to explore a complex array of individual stories and relationships - some touching, some incredible, all breathtaking - it is a mini-series that examines the kaleidoscopic nature of loyalty, love, revenge and pride when the normal and identifiable emotions of human attachment are moved from the context of social decency to social indecency."[1]

I'm really enjoying this show. I can't think of anything thats even been worth watching that is an Australian TV production besides Chasers for around ten years! Unless there was something half decent on last year.

Good change from the reality dribble.

You can download upto episode 10 in widescreen and good quality on mininova.org but there are 3 more episodes un-leaked, and channel 9 is only upto around episode 5 or 6.

What does anyone else think?
I'm enjoying the series but I have to say the people are pretty shit. not the actors but the people being played. some of them killed people for just about no reason.

are their any scenes where they compare knives and debate over which one of them is really a knife?

I thought everyone did that in Australia.

everyone does, so that's the stuff of children's shows.

i want to watch this series but i don't watch anything regularly on tv. might dload em.

^ I'm actually enjoying it.
I like the fact that its based on real life, modern events here in Australia. There isnt a great deal of urban life portrayal here in TV and film, most stuff is directly from the US.

4 stars ;)

lilangel15;- i'd take any suggestions of whats better on television at the moment. the only other things i really watch are HBO tv series on cable, but on the network stations theres nothing but garbage on, it was good to see a real tv show (not some dancing or singing reality garbage or big brother or something) on a network station that anyone can watch.

if i wanted to watch reality it wouldnt be big brother, and if i cared about reality i'd stop taking drugs lol

i got a mate who studies criminology and loves this show to death. apparently it's pretty accurate.

and if i cared about reality i'd stop watching tv
fixed

i'm really enjoying the series. i guess part of it is how familiar everything feels tho. I live in melb and i don't think i ever heard of any of the characters except for williams and mokbel, but just about every character reminds me of someone i once knew through school or such. plus that drab melbourne scenery :)

^yeah it was the same for me and the superb film "little fish".

just watched the first episode.

interesting story, some of the dialogue needed to be developed as it has moment of ridiculous exposition, and the sound design generally is pretty bad. but i will continue just to see what happens.

and the main cop dude looks just like Finder!

i love underbelly. its pretty much the only show on t.v. that has a lot of drugs, sex and voilence and isnt on at 2 in the morning. i absolutely love it.

I relly got into the first couple of episodes and then it fell really flat for me.

Around the time when Carl Williams was standing trial I read into the story very deeply and ended up knowing it all inside out.

So I think thats what has ended up souring the series for me. When it first came on it was more a case of trainspotting of either various Melbourne spots or the characters themselves. After that wore off it was more or less yeah he does him in, then they do him in, he survives, she doesn't etc etc

sorry to mention this; but im curious as to what will happen to heath ledgers character if another season is to be produced. anyone heard anything?

...kytnism...:|