Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

TV series about drug dealing

If you need a television series about drug dealing in your life, The Wire is the unbusted nut you didn't know you were holding back.

hahaha, best metaphor ever

the violence in the wire isn't anywhere near the gratuitous level of bb. you're not supposed to be aroused by it, or even shocked. you see it coming, and cringe and hope it is over quickly, as you would in real life. it isn't there to give a thrill, and it's neither exaggerated or stylised.

and this was a befitting description of not only the violence of the Wire, but also most of the themes/images displayed in the show as a whole. the Wire did such a great job of just presenting the facts, with little or no violence. the Wire achieved being that "fly observing on the wall" more than any piece of journalism could have ever hoped to accomplish

I wish Marlow and his whole crew weren't so sociopathic and at least displayed some slight remorse for their actions, it makes it more interesting, but it would complicate the whole flow of the story I guess, having to do the kind of scenes where there's no dialogue and somebody just walking around feeling bad, I guess they did that with Michael's character and kind of tried to show how somebody turns into a murderous sociopathic drug dealer, but I just don't know how believable it is, maybe it's hard for me to believe people could be so heartless...

@L2R

Lol. Any person who has watched the two shows would agree the Wire is more violent, and shocking, and gruesome on nearly every level than Breaking Bad. Just look at people like Omar and Snoop... The murders they carry out throughout the series. Children killing other children, a child killing omar, prop joe getting blown to bits, same with stringer, the nail gun, etc... Could go on and on... I find it very funny you attempt to downplay the amount of gruesome violence in the Wire as that was pretty much its calling card for 5 seasons.

Yes, this is very tactful and understated. Not meant to be shocking at all.
[video=youtube_share;PzKYzCCrJds]http://youtu.be/PzKYzCCrJds[/video]
And this is definitely not stylised, noooo
[video=youtube_share;WP-lrftLQaQ]http://youtu.be/WP-lrftLQaQ[/video]

The plane crash in breaking bad wasnt retarded, it was fully integrated into the plot of the show and slowly unveiled throughout the course of the second season so that by the time you figured out what was going on, you'd have enough information to understand it. In the full context of the show, it made perfect sense and in no way was retarded. Walter allows Jesses gf to die for selfish reasons...the gfs dad is overcome with grief...returns to work where the stress and pain given to him by WW comes full circle when he fucks up the flight paths... Nothing random or thoughtless about it in the least.

Im not enraged at all I just called your post as I saw it, bullshit, which is all I still see it as since you chose to ignore most of my points that you couldnt possibly respond to intelligently and picked apart the couple you could. Ie the degradation of women... The "artificial journey"...then the fact that you insulted the integrity of the show because the creator had a vision for it and was going to follow through with it... Thats the part that really made no sense. So im not enraged, just stating my opinion. We are on a forum you know. It happens.

Last edited:
It is a bit ridiculous how many people talk about The Wire though.

I saw a few episodes of the first season but it wasnt anything I wanted to go download the whole series

idk I feel like im gonna get stabbed for saying that

I wish Marlow and his whole crew weren't so sociopathic and at least displayed some slight remorse for their actions, it makes it more interesting, but it would complicate the whole flow of the story I guess... but I just don't know how believable it is, maybe it's hard for me to believe people could be so heartless...

I've actually thought about that a lot, and I do sort of agree with you there, regarding your wish. however, I kinda realized that Marlow and his crew being so unabashedly bloodthirsty was the essential point. Marlow's Crew were the new guys, and they just took over, and guess what? the new guys have no qualms about killing you in cold blood, in fact, they might sorta enjoy it (Chris and Snoop)

It is a bit ridiculous how many people talk about The Wire though. I saw a few episodes of the first season but it wasnt anything I wanted to go download the whole series. idk I feel like im gonna get stabbed for saying that

well this is a drugs message board. the Wire was largely about drugs, so of course there's a common interest for Bluelighters. trust me, I know that all the Wire hype is (still!) annoying... but the damn show really is that good. you've only watched a few episodes from the first season, well judging from your (fucking awesome) BL posts, I KNOW and can GUARANTEE that you would love the Wire, Shimazu. it's right up your alley

the Wire srsly is akin to a Greek tragedy. the Wire is operatic in its drama. the Wire is Biblical in its symbolism. the Wire is a damn good show

shimazu, that makes sense. the first season is just a good cop show. you don't get the full scope of the series until two to three seasons. then you will see how everything fits in together. i wasn't blown away at first, and thought the hype unreal too. stick to it, axl is absolutely right. :)

mal, it is clear you don't even understand what i am saying so i'll stop right there. it really doesn't bother me that so many on bl like it. you guys can have it. i have other things to do.

well this is a drugs message board. the Wire was largely about drugs, so of course there's a common interest for Bluelighters.

The knee-jerk borderline obsessive defense of Breaking Bad on here is exactly why I put off watching The Wire for so long. It's just not very credible to get opinions about a drug oriented show from a drug oriented message board. All that said, when I finally caved and starting watching, the hype was fully validated.

And shimazu, it'd be easier to stab you if you said why you didn't like the show. Was it the plot, the characters, the acting, the pacing, the dialogue? I can see it being a show that needs to grow on people that are used to entertainment stimulus that leans toward the ADHD epidemic. A great deal of its charm comes from an obstinate bucking of the cringe-worthy cliches that are used to bring mass appeal to many otherwise quality programs.

mal, it is clear you don't even understand what i am saying so i'll stop right there. it really doesn't bother me that so many on bl like it. you guys can have it. i have other things to do.

pretty much the type of response I was expecting. no one can just back up what they say anymore, if they get any kind of criticism from anyone they just pack up their toys and leave.

The thing with Breaking Bad is that it's really not even so much about manufacturing meth in a lot of ways....It kind of more about this one guys mid-life crisis when he finds out he's dying and his need to prove to himself that he's "still a man", or something like that....It just happens in the context of a highly sensationalized meth manufacturing storyline, which makes it very entertaining!

The movie "Spun" seems much more true-to-life in many ways, although makes no real statements about the deeper meaning of anything really! It's just giving you a glimpse of those Central Valley tweakers!

The wire was a few pegs above BB for me personally. It had so much more to it and I love watching shows about crack, dealing and gangs and the violence was well done too. All those players and the cops were all fantastic. I'd rate the wire up around 9 and bb around 8 out of 10.

pretty much the type of response I was expecting. no one can just back up what they say anymore, if they get any kind of criticism from anyone they just pack up their toys and leave.

well actually, you've completely misunderstood what i have posted so it would be futile to continue with someone who doesn't even know the meanings of words. if you really want to see the substance of why i don't like the tv show, re-read my posts. once you show some comprehension, i'd be happy to talk about it in pms.

but you know at the end of the day it really isn't all that important, is it?

No it's not, it comes down to personal preference anyway. Some people like this, some people like that.

Has anyone mentioned trailer park boys?

^No, I wasn't gonna state the obvious but it is really a matter of preference, but to openly dismiss BB as out-right trash I don't agree with....I think there's a lot there really if we're going all snobby and reating TV as "Art".....

And yeah, the wire top to bottom is a much tighter, better written, better played series than breaking bad, but I kind of enjoy both equally......

Now, "Sons of Anarchy" could be viewed as complete trash....It's never been done before, but it could be called "low-brow entertainment" much more so than breaking bad, and I still kind of like it! It's kinda like that saying, "Even bad pizza is still pretty good!".....

well actually, you've completely misunderstood what i have posted so it would be futile to continue with someone who doesn't even know the meanings of words. if you really want to see the substance of why i don't like the tv show, re-read my posts. once you show some comprehension, i'd be happy to talk about it in pms.

but you know at the end of the day it really isn't all that important, is it?

Well, it depends on how you define important. To me, when I hear or read a comment basically accusing something or someone of being degrading to women (sexist)...furthermore if Im on a discussion forum created specifically to incite conversations... And I disagree with someone... 99% of the time I will make a post and hope the other person can thoughtfully defend their words or at least respond to my points. I mean, how many ways can "the women are all portrayed degradingly" be interpreted? Or "to follow through on the original plan......you stifle the creative process. the end result is an artificial journey" THAT is simply ridiculous. You havent even attempted to respond to either of those things.

I'm not taking any of this very seriously at all (mainly bc I know you're wrong) but whats the harm in either explaining or admitting your post was bs? Its not like anyone else gives a shit. Or if you wish to abstain, say no more and I'll be done with it...

On the subject of TPB, I'm a dedicated fan... Anyone else catch the live swearnet broadcast yesterday night?

Last edited:
Anyone else catch the live swearnet broadcast yesterday night?

Nah, wish I did, I saw a heap of tweets from them after it had finished. Funny fuckers.

That looks like a tease thing they showed before it started I think. You had to pay $4.20 to watch so Im not sure if they'll release the whole thing to the public or not. Maybe eventually.

the first season kept it simple, so the stylisation fit. from the second season on the plot became convoluted to fit the style, it became style over substance. the drama is of a terrible quality, the "characters" are flat and ugly. the women are all portrayed degradingly.

imo it appeals on three levels, none of which i care for. The "plot puzzle" structure in order to make the audience feel smart from "figuring it out". This reduces, rather than increases, substantial characterisation. Secondly, sudden graphic violence punctuates it as a cheap thrill. Lastly, it's a naughty subject matter, another cheap thrill to empathise with what is more commonly assumed to be bad guys.

not in the slightest. i look back on those days fondly.

i think the story idea is really promising. they just executed it too poorly for me to enjoy. the producers are going about it the wrong way. when the main dude (forget his name) recently spoke of the final seasons, he said he intends to follow through on the original plan to make a good guy go bad and a bad guy go good. to be so stubborn about the direction of a story before it is written, you stifle the creative process. the end result is an artificial journey, boring.

I was kind of understanding you until you said "the women are all portrayed degradingly". What, really? I guess my idea of what "degrading" is varies heavily from yours. :?

I don't find much violence in the series. For real. It's pretty tame IMO.

Thanks for sharing your opinions; I appreciate your views on the show. :)

^we can discuss my thoughts on the women in pm if you like.