• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Triple J's Hottest 100 2004...

does anyone actually know anyone who has bought a missy higgins album/single? the general consensus on about 6 different forums, and opinions from hundreds of people is that nobody likes her music...

^ i would think that her results in the top 10 would be enough to disprove your point?

i don't mind her music at all...i do have her album, but i didn't buy it so it doesn't really count i guess. She's not someone i'd like to listen to constantly, but i think that 10 days is a beautiful song...and i'm sure some of her others are too. :)

Well....I rekon this year was the shittest year in the hottest 100's history, especially the top ten....man, most of those songs were'nt half good enough for the top ten spot. This is of course, just my most humble opinion....

BTW....COME ON PEOPLE!!! Couldn't we choose a fucking less obvious #1?? I mean, I didn't vote for it simply because I knew so many sheeple WOULD vote for it. It's a good song and all, but let the frigging Nova MMM and Fox retards vote it #1, can't we at least show that we are a little more "alternative" than that???

I guess it shows how many teenie boppers actually tune into JJJ these days....now I remember the old days when.......

Franz ferdinand were one of my favourite bands of the year overall, and i really like their whole album. I was inlove with the song from when i first heard.

Mr Brightside should have been in the top ten .. i love it so much.

electreauxbella said:
does anyone actually know anyone who has bought a missy higgins album/single? the general consensus on about 6 different forums, and opinions from hundreds of people is that nobody likes her music...

I didn't particularly like scar, but i love ten days the the river....she's very talented, and only took up music in her late teens

as to whether or not she was "deserving" of her positions in the top 10, well there were over 475,000 votes and she beat almost everybody. i guess that speaks for itself.

I think franz deserved no 1, when that song first come out I thought wow what a great beat and a great riff, so I learned the song on me guitar and it is awesome to play with the amp up loud. its only when radio stations like mmm and nova got hold of it that people started to get a bit sick of it, by the time those stations started playing it 3 times a day, jjj eased up a bit on playin it.
good to see JBT have a few songs in the list but was surprised somethings gotta give reached top 10
anyway another hottest 100 under the belt spent on the mighty murray, thats 4 years in a row now, awesome!!!!!

jesus, i did badly in my predictions. i still can't believe "drop the pressure" only got 82. amazing.

anyway, "take me out" was always gonna win, and despite it being caned to death on commercial radio, it's still a good track. if people didn't listen to comm. radio, they probably wouldn't have heard it so much, and might still like it.

and missy higgins is fantastic (her aussie accent is a little ott and disconcerting, though). i have her album.

1 franz ferdinand - take me out
2 missy higgins - scar
3 eskimo joe - from the sea
4 the killers - somebody told me
5 spiderbait - black betty
6 missy higgins - ten days
7 john butler trio - something's gotta give
8 little birdy - beautiful to me
9 powderfinger - bless my soul
10 the white stripes - jolene (live)
11 modest mouse - float on
12 the dresden dolls - coin-operated boy
13 the killers - mr brightside
14 evermore - it's too late
15 ben lee - gamble everything for love
16 grinspoon - hard act to follow
17 butterfingers - yo mama
18 the streets - fit but you know it
19 the streets - dry your eyes
20 spiderbait - f***kin awesome
21 william shatner - common people
22 green day - american idiot
23 scissor sisters - take your mama
24 jet - look what you've done
25 john butler trio - treat yo mama
26 grinspoon - better off alone
27 sarah blasko - don't u eva
28 beastie boys - ch-check it out
29 franz ferdinand - this fire
30 dresden dolls - girl anachronism
31 kings of leon - the bucket
32 eskimo joe - older than you
33 the bees - chicken payback
34 machine gun fellatio - what the fuck?
35 scribe - not many {remix}
36 jeff buckley - forget her
37 ben folds - adelaide
38 u2 - vertigo
39 the killers - smile like you mean it
40 little birdy - this is a love song
41 faithless - mass destruction
42 lior - this old love
43 dogs die in hot cars - godhopping
44 scissor sisters - take me out {cover franz ferdinand}
45 wolfmother - woman
46 rammstein - amerika
47 the living end - i can't give you what i haven't got
48 elliott smith - memory lane
49 missy higgins - casualty
50 franz ferdinand - the dark of the matinee
51 john butler trio - what you want
52 regurgitator - my friend robot
53 placebo english summer rain
54 waifs, the bridal train
55 hives, the walk idiot walk
56 xavier rudd shelter
57 evermore for one day
58 scissor sisters laura
59 xavier rudd solace
60 your wedding night lachlan
61 deep dish - flash dance
62 eskimo joe - smoke
63 n.e.r.d. - she wants to move
64 epicure - self destruct in 5
65 chemical brothers - galvanize
66 devendra banhart - little yellow spider
67 black keys, the - 10am automatic
68 powderfinger - process this
69 freestylers, the - push up
70 starsailor - four to the floor (remix)
71 the von bondies - c'mon c'mon
72 polyphonic spree - hold me now
73 panda band, the - sleepy little deathtoll town
74 interpol - slow hands
75 the spazzys - paco doesn't love me
76 interpol - evil
77 snow patrol - run
78 little birdy - tonights the night
79 dallas crane - dirty hearts
80 the dissociatives - young man old man
81 end of fashion - rough diamonds
82 mylo - drop the pressure
83 dallas crane - numb all over
84 dogs die in hot cars - i love you cause i have to
85 regurgitator - the drop
86 the unicorns - i was born (a unicorn)
87 sia - breathe me
88 a perfect circle - imagine
89 jet - get what you need
90 greenskeepers - lotion
91 decoder ring - somersault
92 scissor sisters - comfortably numb
93 john butler trio - hello
94 the vines - ride
95 placebo - twenty years
96 after the fall - mirror mirror
97 gyroscope - safe forever
98 gomez - catch me up
99 the butterfly effect - always
100 fabienne delsol - i'm gonna haunt you

*dodges keystroke's bullet*

I have an excuse though.....i only heard it for the first time when i got back to australia, late in the year, long after it had been getting flogged by all and sundry.

keystroke said:
whoever voted for Black Betty needs a bullet in the face

Agreed even if it hadn't been flogged to death a cover hardly deserves to make it into the top ten. Yes I understand the hypocrisy in my voting for the common people cover...

What about the Jolene cover? I like it. But I didn't vote for it.

I'm with 1234 about Drop the pressure8o

And what's with the cover being voted in the top 10 and umm sounding exactly like the original. Yay Well done!

It's like that abnd a few years ago getting a BDO gig on the strength of one MJ cover song. Top work there.. :\

Wow, Take Me Out scored twice as many votes as any other song in the countdown.

THE song that swept rockers back to the dancefloor last year, Franz Ferdinand's Take Me Out, has topped the annual Triple J Hottest 100.

Take Me Out won twice as many nods as any other track in the Hottest 100, which is the world's biggest music poll with more than 470,000 votes via the internet and SMS.

Australian artists featured prominently with Triple J Unearthed artist Missy Higgins scoring three songs in the list with two in the top 10 - Scar at No.2 and Ten Days at No.6.

"I've had an amazing few months and this is really the icing on the cake," she said.

She just managed to keep Eskimo Joe's From The Sea out of the No.2 spot and they also had two other tracks in the poll - Older Than You (32) and Smoke (62).

Theatrical New York rockers Scissor Sisters - who will tour Australia for the first time next month - proved the most popular international band with the national youth radio network listeners.

Four of their songs - including a cover of Take Me Out and Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb - made it into the Hottest 100. Las Vegas glam rockers The Killers featured prominently, with three entries, the highest being their debut single, Somebody Told Me at No.4.

Enduring Australian rockers, Powderfinger and Spiderbait also made it into the top 10.

John Butler Trio was represented by four songs - Something's Gotta Give (7), Treat Yo Mama (25), What You Want (51) and Hello (93).

Local newcomers to receive recognition were Little Birdy, Evermore and Dallas Crane.

Last year's Hottest 100 winners, Jet weren't forgotten with two entries - Look What You've Done (24) and Get What You Need (89).

Even The Vines, who spent most of 2004 off the road while Craig Nicholls was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, made it into the 2004 list with Ride coming in at No.94.

More than 1400 people registered Hottest 100 countdown parties with Triple J, including events in Antarctica, Bolivia and the UK.

They're showing the video clips on Rage this weekend.

100-51 tonight and 50-1 tomorrow.

It starts in 5 mins.

36 jeff buckley - forget her

Wow, i'm just glad it made it in the top 40!
Such an excellent song!