• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

trash the mirtazapine

Status
Not open for further replies.

asecin

Bluelighter
i got a blister as sample from that crap for sleep and general anxiety depression and dear lord, 2 days of use, i trashed it. it felt like someone stomped me repeatedly at night into the next morning each time on that crap. anyone else has experience to add please, i wanna correlate and make a file on this garbage so it is never prescribed used again!!! please put your information, experiences for the better of this civilization and against the tyranny of the psychiatrists prescribing it!

^ compared to them taking any other antidepressant? seriously, if someone claims to have responded well to that garbage is only because they never tried anything else!

now here is why mirtazapine might have helped that suicidal individual, it makes you super slowed down and dull with no feelings hence suicide is too passionate to be made.
but it still doesnt explain why I WANTED TO SUICIDE ON IT!

I'd say you're not altogether wrong... but a little extreme. I find it useful when used in GREAT moderation, for sleep/anxiety/appetite issues. And when I say moderation, I don't mean - as far as I'm concerned (ymmv) - a low dose daily, but a low dose once in a while, like no more than once every other week or less. The shit's got an overly long half-life so if you have no tolerance and you metabolize it like the average dude, you're indeed fuckin hammered and useless for the whole next day - and not even fully clear-headed the second day - from the dose popped the evening before. I won't use it if gathering my wits about me - or just plain muscle tone - is necessary the next day... unless I can use a hefty dose of stimulant and since I can I sure will in that case.

It can be VERY useful if you have nausea: the absolute best medicine that can be easily found or scripted in that case imo.

It can be a VERY efficient potentiating molecule for opiates/opioids for people without tolerance - it will KILL nausea AND itching better than anything else. Tho not technically an opiate, kratom also mixes pretty well with mirtazapine: you'll be able to tolerate up to twice the dose that usually makes you sick as fuck.

It can be quite helpful to come down from stims or psychedelics, combined or not with a low dose of benzo. It's not anticholinergic like most antihistamines, and doesn't fuck with dopamine receptors like phenothiazines.

Note that above 15mg, depending on your metabolism and weight, the goods are negated by the bads: the sedation is offset by a weird stimulation. But, for reasons that more pharmaco-competent BLers might explain better than I could (something to do with alpha2a adrenoreceptors), I know from experience that the goods can be augmented with a higher dose of mirtaz if you add clonidine to your come-down mix...

It's also a very nice medicine to use for opiate withdrawal: it interacts with kappa/delta opiate receptors and stuff like that...

So... I do agree with you that as a daily medicine it might turn most people not heavily, clinically depressed into useless cretins, but it sure has a few quite practical things to offer to the wise - and occasional - user.

"It can be VERY useful if you have nausea"
there are a dozen of herbs and medicines that deal with that problem, mirtazapine is useless.

"It can be quite helpful to come down from stims or psychedelics"
dozen of relaxers, sedators out there, legal and illegal to deal with that issue, mirtazapine is useless.

"It's also a very nice medicine to use for opiate withdrawal"
stuff is already available for these problems with less side effects, mirtazapine is useless.

question, does mirtazapine do anything no other drug does already? so far, answer is NO. question, are other drugs with less side effects than mirtazapine doing the same thing mirtazapine does? answer is, YES!

^ compared to them taking any other antidepressant? seriously, if someone claims to have responded well to that garbage is only because they never tried anything else! now here is why mirtazapine might have helped that suicidal individual, it makes you super slowed down and dull with no feelings hence suicide is too passionate to be made. but it still doesnt explain why I WANTED TO SUICIDE ON IT!
Compared to them taking many other antidepressants.

You are making a mistake by thinking that you had a normal response to mirtazapine -- you had an adverse reaction. Unfortunately, all drugs have the potential to produce bad or paradoxical reactions. The type of reaction you experienced can occur with most antidepressants, but luckily is not very common.

I'm not trying to minimize your experience, which I'm sure was horrible. But as adverse reactions go, you could have fared much worse. There are drugs on the market that can produce Stevens-Johnson syndrome or Guillain–Barré syndrome, which can cause severe and permenant disability.

Last edited:
nspd -> other drugs

well, since mirtazepine doesn't work for you, obviously it is completely without use for the remaining 7 billion individuals on earth and should be discontinued permanently, forever. </s>

I truly, truly could not even imagine contemplate using it for opiate withdrawal even if it did not cause me the most dreadful akathisia I have ever had the misfortune to experience. Right up there with my experiences taking iporuru.

The overstimulation from mirtazepine whilst w.d from opioids would be truly heinously foul.

I've been prescribed Mirtazipine for my depression (I have been on it for about a year now) with ever increasing dosages... I'm now on 45mg taken at night. I do feel that they have made my depression more manageable but I do still suffer from intrusive suicidal thoughts when my depression is bad. But overall I feel my depression has been more controlled and I am a firm believer that Antidepressants should ALWAYS be used in conjunction with talking therapies i.e counselling or CBT. And never to be used along in managing depression.

There are so many doctors that dish them out like sweets and make you feel diagnosed, drugged and discarded...

For me, I do still suffer from intrusive suicidal thoughts when my depression is bad but overall, I feel it has kept my depression more controlled and manageable.

I had to switch from Citalopram to Mirtazipine because I was starting Methadone and there was some kind of interaction. When I was on Citalopram (40mg), it did help my depression and anxiety, but my moods felt like they were at a plateau... almost like I was not happy nor sad... in a state of pharmaceutical anhedonic limbo!

The few negative side effects I have experienced with Mirtazipine have been slight weight gain and increased appetite, horrific and random nightmares and theses nightmares I never used to have before I started taking Mirtazipine, and waking up feeling so groggy like you've been hit by a truck, which also zaps your motivation for the following day which doesn't help if you're already feeling depressed!

Interesting opinions guys!

- rompastomp

I've been prescribed Mirtazipine for my depression (I have been on it for about a year now) with ever increasing dosages... I'm now on 45mg taken at night. I do feel that they have made my depression more manageable but I do still suffer from intrusive suicidal thoughts when my depression is bad. But overall I feel my depression has been more controlled and I am a firm believer that Antidepressants should ALWAYS be used in conjunction with talking therapies i.e counselling or CBT. And never to be used along in managing depression.

There are so many doctors that dish them out like sweets and make you feel diagnosed, drugged and discarded...

For me, I do still suffer from intrusive suicidal thoughts when my depression is bad but overall, I feel it has kept my depression more controlled and manageable.

I had to switch from Citalopram to Mirtazipine because I was starting Methadone and there was some kind of interaction. When I was on Citalopram (40mg), it did help my depression and anxiety, but my moods felt like they were at a plateau... almost like I was not happy nor sad... in a state of pharmaceutical anhedonic limbo!

The few negative side effects I have experienced with Mirtazipine have been slight weight gain and increased appetite, horrific and random nightmares and theses nightmares I never used to have before I started taking Mirtazipine, and waking up feeling so groggy like you've been hit by a truck, which also zaps your motivation for the following day which doesn't help if you're already feeling depressed!

Interesting opinions guys!

- rompastomp
Mot SSRIs work by numbing you. They are not meant to make you happy.
REMERON makes me groggy as hell, the kind of sedation that makes you feel bad. I ate a whole cereal box after dosing REMERON, which explains weight gain. The one good thing REMERON did for me is that I did not have any sexual dreams for the brief period I was on it. I just use it sparingly as a sleep aid now

But yeah the 15mg I took felt more like an antihistamine type of drug like Seroquel. It did not have strong anti depressant properties (zombie effects) like SSRi so I'm not sure if i wanna use it daily. And yes any drug that sedated or numb you, will zap motivation. For motivation i need a dopamine type of drug in the morning. Then use REMERON to sleep during the come down.

Last edited:
I have low appetite and sleep issues, and mirtazipine works good for me. Not too sure about the antidepressant power of it yet. Been only 3 weeks at 30mg. As for side effects, there are no bad ones, it feels like doxylamine . The funky epic dreams area bonus.

This is one disgusting drug. I was on it when I was in prison to use for sleep. I noticed I was very shaky on it and had an overwhelming tendency to stare at people...the shit is no good, also according to literature , it is known to cause reversible parkonsism. I think I will pass in that garbage

I get what you're saying >Soprietysucks> completely. Plus the combination of the medications I'm on: Mirtazapine, Methadone and Diazepam (only prescribed 8mg of Diazepam but I do top-up REGULARLY with the Xanax and other benzo's which, I know, is a recipe for endless 'duvet days', and unmotivated monging out, forgetting where I've left things... especially if I'm looking for my Xanax which is really annoying! But I'm really struggling right now to find any purpose or motivation at the moment. These side effects are improving... slowly, after time but only mildly...

I am being honest but of course I like the feeling of the extra benzo's (I'm an addict and will take or try anything to stop any physical and mental pain). They do help my depression but only in the SHORT-TERM and I know it's gonna make it a hell of a lot worse in the long-term and they're gonna kick my ass.

I guess the most important thing for me right now is that I am having safe, regular and productive days, where I don't self-neglect or start using illicit drugs. I have made a lot of progress but I have been a bit devious :s with the use of my Benzodiazepines tat my drug clinic. I've said I've been abstinent from all drugs and all my urine screens are clean...

I'm prescribed Methadone and Diazepam, so they expect them to be in my urine screen! The screen shows if I have used Opiates, Cocaine, Buprenorphine, Amphetamines (which are always negative) and Methadone and Benzodiazepines. My urine screens test positive for my prescribed Methadone and Benzodiazipines.... But there is a lot more than just diazepam in my benzo screen urine.

My benzo use is starting to get a bit out-of-hand and I don't know if I should fess up about my benzo use to my drug workers but that will have further implications e.g I will have to be on daily supervised pick-up for my Methadone and Diazepam, which is a massive pain!

Any advice guys as to what you think I should do... I could start tapering down my benzo dose but SWIM has heaps of them left and I don't trust my addictive personality and mental health right now but I'm worried about coming clean to my drug service in case they start reducing my Methadone dosage which I'm not in a great place mentally to start an opiate detox right now... especially Methadone!

Any hep or advice much appreciated,
Best wishes!

- elviswearsnikes

guys its outdated antidepressant mostly still given by outdated doctors predominantly in europe. for those people who claim it helps them, they just havent tried newer antidepressants and are stuck with that crap and cannot judge properly. take it from me, ive tried them all, mirtazapine rates pretty down below.
i made this thread to warn newer depressed individuals to NEVER TRY IT, even if it does help them, guess what? MORE OPTIONS WILL HELP YOU BETTER

for those people who claim it helps them, they just havent tried newer antidepressants and are stuck with that crap and cannot judge properly.

Well, fuck me. The world's leading expert on antidepressants has spoken. Everyone better throw your mirtazepine in the garbage, it actually doesn't work even if you think it does!

Oh hey, while we're playing this game, I can do it too: all benzodiazepines are useless for anxiety and should be discarded, if you think benzos are helping your anxiety you're just a stupid moron who's a dumb idiot. All the evidence is fabricated and wrong, Xanax and Ativan and the like actually have no effect other than placebo. I would know, I took some once and it didn't do a lot. So it obviously never does shit for anyone else - it physically cannot be possible that others get pleasurable effects.

And I once took some penicillin pills for a stomach flu I had but they didn't do much so I think penicillin is another drug we should stop making and just discard. Burn the formulary, it's useless like any other drugs that were invented in the 40s.

asecin said:
i got a blister as sample from that crap for sleep and general anxiety depression and dear lord, 2 days of use, i trashed it. it felt like someone stomped me repeatedly at night into the next morning each time on that crap. anyone else has experience to add please, i wanna correlate and make a file on this garbage so it is never prescribed used again!!! please put your information, experiences for the better of this civilization and against the tyranny of the psychiatrists prescribing it!

Have you considered taking a lower dose? A dose as low as 10mg can be effective for sleep, I myself can't say much good about its antidepressant properties but as a drug for problems with falling asleep I found it actually very good especially useful if you don't want to get dependent on benzodiazepines and have more problems to deal with.

I get what you're saying >Soprietysucks> completely. Plus the combination of the medications I'm on: Mirtazapine, Methadone and Diazepam (only prescribed 8mg of Diazepam but I do top-up REGULARLY with the Xanax and other benzo's which, I know, is a recipe for endless 'duvet days', and unmotivated monging out, forgetting where I've left things... especially if I'm looking for my Xanax which is really annoying! But I'm really struggling right now to find any purpose or motivation at the moment. These side effects are improving... slowly, after time but only mildly...

I am being honest but of course I like the feeling of the extra benzo's (I'm an addict and will take or try anything to stop any physical and mental pain). They do help my depression but only in the SHORT-TERM and I know it's gonna make it a hell of a lot worse in the long-term and they're gonna kick my ass.

I guess the most important thing for me right now is that I am having safe, regular and productive days, where I don't self-neglect or start using illicit drugs. I have made a lot of progress but I have been a bit devious :s with the use of my Benzodiazepines tat my drug clinic. I've said I've been abstinent from all drugs and all my urine screens are clean...

I'm prescribed Methadone and Diazepam, so they expect them to be in my urine screen! The screen shows if I have used Opiates, Cocaine, Buprenorphine, Amphetamines (which are always negative) and Methadone and Benzodiazepines. My urine screens test positive for my prescribed Methadone and Benzodiazipines.... But there is a lot more than just diazepam in my benzo screen urine.

My benzo use is starting to get a bit out-of-hand and I don't know if I should fess up about my benzo use to my drug workers but that will have further implications e.g I will have to be on daily supervised pick-up for my Methadone and Diazepam, which is a massive pain!

Any advice guys as to what you think I should do... I could start tapering down my benzo dose but SWIM has heaps of them left and I don't trust my addictive personality and mental health right now but I'm worried about coming clean to my drug service in case they start reducing my Methadone dosage which I'm not in a great place mentally to start an opiate detox right now... especially Methadone!

Any hep or advice much appreciated,
Best wishes!

- elviswearsnikes
Sometimes I go crazy with the stims and benzos, and im probably going to go all out until I run out. I will crash and withdrawal hard, it will teach my brain a lesson and not desire to use it again .that's okay, i just remind myself that it's not sustainable. might as well plan to go all out and make the most of it and Have an exit plan.

They say No one chooses to get addicted, but I do, I plan out my addiction and quit. Then repeat.

mirtazipine helped me massively with my insomnia and co-morbid depression-anxiety
it does make you super hungry all the time tho due to the anticholinergenic effects

I'm sure it works for some, but I HATE it. Makes me ultra tired but does not actually help me sleep, and when I used it regularly, it gave me suicidal thoughts. That said, I don't have depression, just insomnia and ADHD, so it was definitely a bad call on my doctor's part.

Status
Not open for further replies.