• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Tramadol withdrawal

Yeah tramadol imo is one of the worst withdrawals to be in..I used to cop oxy, hydros, or codeine JUST to use until the trams & SNRI shit disappeared then I would kick whatever I fell back on. It's much better than being in complete fucking turmoil.

I got to the point with trams that whether or not I was re-dosing , didn't matter, I would find a benzo to kill that upper + zonked out buzz that trams put you in.

But yeah get those benzos in you and maybe some greenery then you will feel MUCH better!

Hello!

I ended up using 4x05mg clonazepam tablets. I fell asleep almost immediately. I slept more than 8 hours, but I was very "foggy" from it all day. Anyway, it works and I'm going to take again four today.

But tomorrow I want to stop take the pills, i want see what happens without him.

Thanks to everyone who helped. The 12th day can come.

Hello!

I'm at the end of day 12. In the last 2 days, I used 10 x 0.5 mg clonazepam. (Roche Rivotril).
I slept very deeply both nights, more than 8 hours both times. From now on, I don't want to use rivotril because, although it helps me sleep, it makes me aggressive.

(btw, my wife said I slept very restlessly and "tossed" myself all night)

On the physical side, diarrhea has stopped, sweating and my appetite is fine. I hope I'm getting over the acute phase right now. Despite all this, I don't feel well. I feel so depressed and have no motivation. I don't know what will happen to me now, but I am confident. I can't believe it's been 12 days. I don't know how I managed it, but now I'm very happy with this little time.

I read the forum when I was bored, I was surprised at how high a dose others found my daily habit to be. I think I can be thankful that I haven't had a seizure from the 2400 mg dose. Thank you to everyone for the kind words and encouragement. I will do it, I really want to.

So.. Can I not sleep because of the SNRI effect of tramadol? I didn't know this, but in recent days I've been reading about it day and night. So is Clonazepam safe in my case? Ofc just this 20x.05 mg tavlets.

I can't thank you enough for your guidance!
While I have heard something about clonazepam something serotonin something, claims...

a) significance is very minor if it exists
b) rebounds with SNRIs and SSRIs are not as aggressive as with mu-agonists
c) I have never heard anyone reliably pointing out any effect been delivered exclusively by clonazepams possible secondary mechanisms of action so I guess without looking any data that you are anyway better off finding it out yourself

Hello, I hope you are having a good day
I had a bad habit of tramadol more than a year ago, doses of 900mg or more, I can only tell you that only time will take it all away... I couldn't quit it with the help of any specific drug, I used clonazepam, maybe pregabalin ( but i'm hooked on this)
The physical withdrawal I could feel for 2 weeks strong, after week 1 I had nightmares and was fucking depressed, but after 2 weeks I started to feel normal, but if I used even a little again, the next day I was on the day 1 of physical abstinence. The hardest thing for me to overcome was mental withdrawal, but I had such a horrible time in my life when I gave up that habit that the least I worried about was being addicted to tramadol.
I hope you can recover and not touch that shit again, I have returned to it due to personal problems and I can say that it has gotten much worse since then.

Hi!

I can't imagine ever using it again. This restlessness that I can't deal with, I smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day. it doesn't help, it just feels good. once this is over... i never want to go through it again.

after such a deep and strong experience, I don't think I will use it again. and...it's funny...but I could buy a box of 50x200 mg tablets even tonight.

Hi!

I can't imagine ever using it again. This restlessness that I can't deal with, I smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day. it doesn't help, it just feels good. once this is over... i never want to go through it again.

after such a deep and strong experience, I don't think I will use it again. and...it's funny...but I could buy a box of 50x200 mg tablets even tonight.
Good thing you have that in mind man. The best thing you can do is not to take it again... Taking it again after a long time made me hate it a bit, it's really weak, it doesn't even make me feel like when I used it before, and I need to use 400mg doses to feel some "recreational" effect. 250mg keeps me off but focused on absolutely nothing, during work I won't use it again. Maybe I won't use it again and that's it.
Luckily I can't get it as easy as before in my city, I have to search too much to buy it, which makes it really not worth it at all

People draw blurry lines between acute, post acute and prolonged withdrawal. It is all dependent on personal biology, history of drug use, state of their life ATM, underlining issue's that are the real reason for drug abuse, current support network...and so on. Sure there are milestones but their gonna be yours, especially given drug that you were using which is incredible variable in how people react to it as an opioid and ones unique multidimensional profile.

Clonazepam could made you more agressive by disinhibiting you and then your frustration that you would usualy repress might have heave been expressed. Benzodiazepines are known for reducing inhibitions.

Remember before 2 days just before you took clonazepam you wrote:
Now on day 10 I feel like I'm on the verge of psychosis. I want to sleep, but no matter what I do, it doesn't help. I sweat even when walking and am unable to do anything. Now it's 4:30AM and I watching at the TV and I can't sleep. Just a few minutes would be fine.
...and you got plenty minutes off sleep. If you kept being miserable on the vege of psychosis you might have given up and made the call to a dealer. I truly believe:

1) You have really scary withdrawal due to dose of tramadol (and maybe cause you didn't went through many withdrawals before so you dont know what to expect...which is actually good if that is the case)

2) You are brave and are enduring the withdrawal, clonazepam or not.

3) Clonazepam has helped you big time cause sleeping matters tremendously for healing. Just dont buy or get prescribed more benzodiazepines after you finish with taking clonazepam.

4) Youre out of the woods tegarding purely physical torture of your withdrawal but now you're in a stage thar is less severe but you are at the same time lost considerable amount of strength due to lack of sleep, insult on your mind and so on.

5) i believe in you but staying clean is more difficult than getting clean. Be aware of the tricks you will play on yourself 2 weeks from now. Try not listen that "just one more time" or "once a week"...and consider healing the wounds that trigger your need to mask them. Join some group, be it sport, be it reading, whatever. Try make new hobbies and most importantly new healthy connections.

6) Yore doing great! There is a road ahead just as is a road ahead for all people. Your will be more bumpy for a while but choosing the right paths youre destination will be more satisfying.

We all cheer for you cause we know our own struggles and can empathise. Try not overthink things now and get your body moving. Excercise, eat healthy, join some club based on your personal preference and try not to assign everything to a tramadol withdrawal and how you can do nothing but passively endure. Easier said then done but it is the only way. I believe in you as you have proven that you can take the heat. Heat will change - it will become less intensive but more annoying. It is your suffering, your choice, but I know that if you managed to come this far that you can go all the way.

I wish you peace, tranquillity and joy. Take care!

Last edited by a moderator:
People draw blurry lines between acute, post acute and prolonged withdrawal. It is all dependent on personal biology, history of drug use, state of their life ATM, underlining issue's that are the real reason for drug abuse, current support network...and so on. Sure there are milestones but their gonna be yours, especially given drug that you were using which is incredible variable in how people react to it as an opioid and ones unique multidimensional profile.

Clonazepam could made you more agressive by disinhibiting you and then your frustration that you would usualy repress might have heave been expressed. Benzodiazepines are known for reducing inhibitions.

Remember before 2 days just before you took clonazepam you wrote:

...and you got plenty minutes off sleep. If you kept being miserable on the vege of psychosis you might have given up and made the call to a dealer. I truly believe:

1) You have really scary withdrawal due to dose of tramadol (and maybe cause you didn't went through many withdrawals before so you dont know what to expect...which is actually good if that is the case)

2) You are brave and are enduring the withdrawal, clonazepam or not.

3) Clonazepam has helped you big time cause sleeping matters tremendously for healing. Just dont buy or get prescribed more benzodiazepines after you finish with taking clonazepam.

4) Youre out of the woods tegarding purely physical torture of your withdrawal but now you're in a stage thar is less severe but you are at the same time lost considerable amount of strength due to lack of sleep, insult on your mind and so on.

5) i believe in you but staying clean is more difficult than getting clean. Be aware of the tricks you will play on yourself 2 weeks from now. Try not listen that "just one more time" or "once a week"...and consider healing the wounds that trigger your need to mask them. Join some group, be it sport, be it reading, whatever. Try make new hobbies and most importantly new healthy connections.

6) Yore doing great! There is a road ahead just as is a road ahead for all people. Your will be more bumpy for a while but choosing the right paths youre destination will be more satisfying.

We all cheer for you cause we know our own struggles and can empathise. Try not overthink things now and get your body moving. Excercise, eat healthy, join some club based on your personal preference and try not to assign everything to a tramadol withdrawal and how you can do nothing but passively endure. Easier said then done but it is the only way. I believe in you as you have proven that you can take the heat. Heat will change - it will become less intensive but more annoying. It is your suffering, your choice, but I know that if you managed to come this far that you can go all the way.

I wish you peace, tranquillity and joy. Take care!
These words fit very well! I haven't used clonazepam today, 04.09 AM and I'm watching NatGeo. My wife is sleeping, my cats are trying to please me. (I have 3 cats)
I think the aggression is gone, but the emptiness is back. You are right, that I have no experience with withdrawal.
My dealer always warned me that there is such a withdrawal part. he went through this in prison and was only given a medicine called Frontin. Hell on earth said it, I believe it.
In two weeks he will go to prison again for 4 years and sell a significant amount of stuff cheaply. (oxy, lyrica, benzos, ketamine, gabepentine, seroquel and anything you can imagine) but I had to refuse.
It's not an easy situation. I don't want to lose my wife after 5 years. My job where I have been working for eight years and I am respected and loved. But it's hard.

During those 13 days, I did everything I could to distract myself. I trained, I exercised a lot, I cleaned, I visit in my parents.
I don't have the courage to get into a car yet. I take 3 vitamins every day. (vitamin B, calcium, magnesium, zinc)
I eat three or more meals a day and good quality food. Vegetables, fruits, soja etc. I pay attention to the 3 liters of water a day and have ruled out caffeine.
I honestly want to leave this behind because it takes away everything that is important to me. Loans, lying.. it leads nowhere. I don't know what else to say, but as I get worse, I feel a stronger hatred for tramadol.

Postscript:

I recently found out that my dealer is going to prison. When I bought it, we always sat in his car and talked everything. he had already spent 10 years in prison. now, when he recommended the cheap stuff over the phone, he told me that he wasn't sure he would go in again. maybe he will commit suicide. and it was evident in his voice. and I tried to dissuade him, to encourage him that man, don't do this, while I didn't even have the strength to hold the phone, we just talked on speakerphone. how strange life is, what a sense of humor, holy shit

In two weeks he will go to prison again for 4 years and sell a significant amount of stuff cheaply. (oxy, lyrica, benzos, ketamine, gabepentine, seroquel and anything you can imagine) but I had to refuse.
It's not an easy situation. I don't want to lose my wife after 5 years. My job where I have been working for eight years and I am respected and loved. But it's hard
The biggest test for me was when one of my friends who was a dealer was going to prison and his "partner" called me up and told me that all the stuff is in his house and that he is escaping to rehab cause the police was after him also and he offered me to take kilos of purest Euro amphetamine sulphate 100(s) grams of coke, very large quantity of morphine and H. He was obviously very paranoid on top of real threat.

But I wasn't tempted I was scared of even thinking where I would end up in a year. So I can relate. Don't take it. Just don't. Better lock yorself up in a mental institution, addiction department for the time till he actually goes to prison or commits suicide (harsh advice but when one is drowningyou willnot hrlp him by drowning yourself along). You can always say that you have developed major depression and are affraid that you're going to relapse and lose everything.

I am not advising that as a first, second or third choice, but damn it is surely better than ruining your life. Better smash your phone, get another one with new email and ask somebody to change the password on all off your emails so you can not contact your dealer and he can not contact you till things get sorted out. But do that only if you get tempted by this offer to an extent where you are planning to get those drugs from your dealer. I believe that you're stronger than that, especially cause you're acutely aware of the consequences if you follow through.

Hey @riora69 First of all, congratulations on your awesome handle. I too love 69'ing; that is, the act of inserting the number 69 when and wherever possible. I like to think it will make the person who sees it giggle and that they will then pay it forward, writing 69 on things and bringing anonymous joy to the world.

I'm really sorry I wasn't able to help with this. My colleagues, as always, have given you some great advice probably better than I ever could. I'll throw my hat in the ring though. Hopefully it helps a bit.

You're past the acute phase, which is arguably the "hardest" part of recovery. It's physically and mentally about as bad as it gets in this life outside of having your fingernails torn out. It's all subjective. In the beginning, all you need to worry about is staying clean. In a way, acute withdrawal is easier due to its relative predictability and well-known licit/illicit means of treating symptoms. It is a known danger, as opposed to an unknown danger. Basically, once you are through your major withdrawal, you need to prepare.

Some short term stuff would be deleting numbers from the phone, giving your money to another person, staying away from certain areas etc. This is all real common sense stuff in my opinion. You are going to be rebuilding your psyche. You need to have an alternative to the drug in your life. In early sobriety, I think you should be figuring out who is still by your side, be grateful if they are still there and dedicate your life to making their lives better. I can't tell you how to do that, but I can tell you that part of this equation is your sobriety. You can only control a few things in your environment at this juncture. You can be honest. You can go to work. You can be sober.

I'm a member of Alcoholics Anonymous and I'm a believer in their system. I don't preach to anyone or claim supremacy or anything like that. There are elements of the program that I feel are undeniably helpful for addicts like myself.

1. Regularly checking in. This is one of the simplest and most effective things for me. Every day, I would consider my actions, my morality and my hopes/dreams. I had to talk to these people without lying about anything. It didn't take long for me to realize I was a bad person. When I couldn't compartmentalize it, justify it and isolate myself, these seemingly, glaringly obvious negative behaviors, it became harder for me to live.

2. Friends. At the end of my addiction to Opioids/Alcohol I had different groups. There was work people, there was my family and then everyone with whom I dealt outside of these groups were other addicts/dealers. It might sound odd, but the friendship was great.

3. Everyone involved in AA does so for free. There are no financial incentives or motivations. It's my true belief that the Rehab industry, especially in the United States is dedicated to profit. They saw the epidemic, they did what an umbrella salesman would do in a hurricane, capitalize on the fear. These programs simply do not work. If they do work, I believe it is by a combination of positive therapy at the program, change of scenery and freedom from dealers etc. I don't believe their actual program has some cutting edge, unknown, knuckleball to throw.

I think people, in the moment, realize that rehab is a big thing, that they're on their last get out of jail free card, so they develop some motivation to stop, which is helped along by the isolation of going to rehab. Fuck, you go to AA meetings in rehab and most folks say it's the only time they felt true relief from their guilt and shame.

I guess, the biggest thing is that you have to decide to quit. You have to be honest with yourself. There are things like maintenance, rehab, therapy, religious shit; none of it will work if you cannot be completely honest in all of your dealings. I feel like AA is a program for teaching liars how to be honest, first and foremost. Being sober for long periods of time is a side-effect of embracing Truth and hope.

There are plenty of other programs out there. There are agnostic AA meetings (I go to one pretty often if you want the link), different programs altogether like SMART, which I'm pretty unfamiliar with. I think honesty is number one and having someone to check you is how you learn. Any program that embraces these principles is great, but I do think you need a program.

Hello!

It's been 2 weeks today that I haven't used tramadol. I think I feel better, but I still have this "heaviness" in my body. I still have problems sleeping but I have finished the clonazepam. From now on, I will continue without comfort drugs.

The past 2 weeks have been really weird because even though I know how horrible it was, I feel like I don't remember at least half of it. This is scary.

I don't know how I managed to get here, but this forum certainly helped me a lot.
I want to feel normal again, but it seems I have to wait. In any case, I am still determined and on boring nights I analyze the damage I have caused to others and to myself.

I really like your idea about honesty, I'll try to focus on that too!

Hello!

I thought I'd log in and update my status.

I've reached day 17. I have not used clonazepam and zolpidem for 3 days. (it's true, I took a total of 3 or 4 10 mg tablets for Z).

What I feared it was happened.
I can't sleep again, despite my increased physical activity. I feel like my brain can't "stop" before falling asleep. I seem to be physically fine, I have no symptoms other than weakness. Or one stand with me: sneezing. bruhhh...

I have severe restlessness during the day, it's hard for me to do something that captures my attention and I don't do it because I have to. For example: I can't watch a movie, it's also very difficult to concentrate. I think that if the anxiety would go away and I could sleep even just 6 hours a night, I would be much better.

Now I rely on time because I don't want to take any medicine anymore. Although there is a sedative, called Elenium at home, but I don't feel like experimenting, I just toyed with the idea.

At this point, I would appreciate any kind of encouraging comments.

Thank you for reading!

Hello!

I am at the end of day 25 and I have to say that I feel much better. For some time now I have been able to sleep at night without medication, my mood is not bad either, but the anxiety has stayed with me. I felt it very strongly this afternoon.

I think it's PAWS, anyway my energy level is also very low. I hope the situation will improve with time. I wish much power to everyone who is in a similar situation.

Hi!

I am on day 10 of tramadol WD. I took it quite well until the sixth day, but for the last 3 days I have been unable to sleep, despite a lot of excercise and focusing on other things.

Did you have a similar experience that the beginning is better than now? <In terms of sleep/physically

The sweating is still there, but I'm not as grumpy as in the first days. At this point i don't have to go to the toilet all the time and I don't have RLS.

Is there some sort of timeline for this?
My habit is an average of 1800-2000 mg per day for about 8 months, but the large dose only used the last 3 months. It would mean a lot if you could describe your experiences.

I have Ambien and Clonazepam (Rivotril) at home, but they don't help at all. But it is true that I only used clonazepam on the first day.
Why doses so high? Why wouldn’t the dr go to another opiate? Crazy

Hello!

I am at the end of day 25 and I have to say that I feel much better. For some time now I have been able to sleep at night without medication, my mood is not bad either, but the anxiety has stayed with me....
Good to hear you made it. Cold turkey was 12 days for me, rapidly improving after 10 days.

Let's hope you don't slip back, but just in case you do I recommend kratom next time. I have quit tramadol 5 or 6 times and used kratom all but one of those.

It doesn't do this for everyone but for me it gets rid of 95%+ of withdrawal symptoms. It is magical.

When I mention it people always bring up the downsides of kratom, like that it can be addictive too as it isn't too different to opioids, but I just take it for 3-4 weeks tapering down after 2 weeks until I barely take any and and run out. Might need 400g or so, I don't remember.

To avoid seizures I take diazepam in first few days ,but cloneazepam will be just as good. Then I also find I need a half pill a few times when I feel anxious.

For the serotonin side I take 5-HTP pills when I feel down. But the kratom elevates mood so I don't need it much. St John's Wart should also help mood. I don't touch these for the first few days because of serotonin syndrome.

Kratom doesn't get me high, but it does put me in a better mood. I can function very well, but do get some brain zaps in the first 2 or 3 days, so I would quit just before the weekend so you are in good shape on Monday at work.

I just find that I get tired sometimes when in withdrawal. At night I take diphenhydramine or a similar antihistamine to help sleep. (Although I would actually replace that now with Stilux brand Rotundin, which feels cleaner e.g. not drowsy the next day and it might be plant based.)

Anyway, hopefully you don't need all this info, but I thought it could be useful for others facing it soon.

Everyone is unique but I think kratom will at least help somewhat. Not sure I would recommend it to people on much smaller doses of tramadol as then it might make you feel high.

Side note: tramadol withdrawals seem worse for some people compared to other opiates/opioids. For me they are nowhere near as bad as coming off heroin without tapering. Hearing multiple people say tramadol withdrawals are as bad as or worse gave me a false sense of security coming off heroin. They are completely different for me. Tapering down is the best preparation for either imho.

I am about to go into withdrawal for heroin tomorrow but had such a small amount that I have been tapering down naturally. Hopefully kratom will help, but it didn't seem to help (along with tramadol) with heroin when I stopped without tapering.

2g of tramadol per day is a big dose. I used to do 1.5g, sometimes a bit more (I knew my body couldn't take anymore. Even with an anticonvulsant). With kratom I could quit without much tapering. But it might cover 100% of withdrawals with a proper taper too. So that would be my recommendation.

unfortunately I relapse. however, this time I only used 300 mg per day, a total of about 150 tablets. I used this for about a month and a half since my last withdrawal, and there was a 2x2 week break in between. so I used significantly less than before. I've been clean for 18 days now and surprisingly, the anxiety is much stronger than last time. it's true, I used about 40 mg of alprazolam in the interim period. Do you have experience with anxiety? why is it stronger now than when I used many more pills? interesting

unfortunately I relapse. however, this time I only used 300 mg per day, a total of about 150 tablets. I used this for about a month and a half since my last withdrawal, and there was a 2x2 week break in between. so I used significantly less than before. I've been clean for 18 days now and surprisingly, the anxiety is much stronger than last time. it's true, I used about 40 mg of alprazolam in the interim period. Do you have experience with anxiety? why is it stronger now than when I used many more pills? interesting
Glad to hear you were able kick tramadol again. Rarely anybody stops from the first try but I sure hope that you will not put yourself into misery of having to go through cycles of use and then withdrawal. Every withdrawal will actually be a bit physically harder, but I don't believe that that is where your anxiety stems from. During first withdrawal you were taking clonazepam and now you were taking Xanax. It could be that you're having more pronounced rebound anxiety from Xanax. You were mentioning anxiety first time and if you don't try to see what the root cause is you could resort to one medication or the other. Please be careful with benzodiazepines cause if youre having a hard time kicking tramadol than you don't want to find out how bad is benzodiazepine withdrawal. Hope you find out from where is all this unbearable anxiety comming from. Everyone is anxious to an extent but it is not making their life miserable. I will not write down what you should do with regards to treatment but I believe that this anxiety is actually a beacon that is showing you where the entrance to root of your troubles is. Take care and keep us posted!