• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Tramadol Megathread

I don’t recall getting that specific answer. Still doesn’t answer all my questions nonetheless, but thank you for that information to start with.

So those are safe to crush for IR. I’ll take one, then an hour later another. If in 3 hours I feel nothing, then I can take another 100mg? Is 300 the max for the day?
Yes, that's what I propose, although you could also take your second 100mg pill in two more consecutive 50mg shots.
Take the first 100mg crushed pill, wait an hour and take half of another 50mg crushed pill and take the other 50mg 30 minutes later
I was taking tramadol IR this way because consecutive doses improve metabolism to M1
So repeated doses had a stronger effect than the same dose taken in a single dose

I know that the maximum per day is 400mg in tramadol IR, so other people say it is 300mg in tramadol ER so if possible do not exceed 300mg in 24 hours

I don’t recall getting that specific answer. Still doesn’t answer all my questions nonetheless, but thank you for that information to start with.

So those are safe to crush for IR. I’ll take one, then an hour later another. If in 3 hours I feel nothing, then I can take another 100mg? Is 300 the max for the day?

Yes. I think that is a good strategy.
You can also take 50 mg. every half hour until you reach 300-400 mg.
About the max dose, I think if you have not had seizures in the past or have a family history of that, you can take up to 400 mg. But be careful: don't drink alcohol, don't take serotonergic meds or drugs, limit or avoid caffeine, be well rested, etc.

Also taking a benzo or Pregabalin (Lyrica) before Tramadol may help, as they increase the seizure threshold.

Great post. I was addicted to Tramadol for over a decade. It has it's own special effects that every other opioid seems to be lacking. I rank it up there next to heroin as one of my favorites. Although it is limited due to the seizure threshold thing. Those who say it sucks or whatever either have an extreme tolerance, didn't take a high enough dose or do not have the right liver enzymes to convert it. I found it was a great tool for maintenance in between heroin binges, but was also a fun, euphoric and addictive substance all on it's own when tolerance allowed.

Tramadol can be very tricky though. There were several times I managed to mix tramadol and methamphetamine and be fine (DO NOT EVER DO THIS!).
And then there were times where I was just on tramadol alone and felt very shakey and close to having a seizure.

I am curious, because of it's SNRI properties and the fact that it also releases serotonin, if tramadol can be neurotoxic, especially if used for years (or in my case over a decade) and possibly result in any sort of brain damage? Maybe not to the extreme that other neurotoxins would but if there is serotonin being released from trams as well, is there even a possibility?

Last edited:
Great post. I was addicted to Tramadol for over a decade. It has it's own special effects that every other opioid seems to be lacking. I rank it up there next to heroin as one of my favorites. Although it is limited due to the seizure threshold thing. Those who say it sucks or whatever either have an extreme tolerance, didn't take a high enough dose or do not have the right liver enzymes to convert it. I found it was a great tool for maintenance in between heroin binges, but was also a fun, euphoric and addictive substance all on it's own when tolerance allowed.

Tramadol can be very tricky though. There were several times I managed to mix tramadol and methamphetamine and be fine (DO NOT EVER DO THIS!).
And then there were times where I was just on tramadol alone and felt very shakey and close to having a seizure.

I am curious, because of it's SNRI properties and the fact that it also releases serotonin, if tramadol can be neurotoxic, especially if used for years (or in my case over a decade) and possibly result in any sort of brain damage? Maybe not to the extreme that other neurotoxins would but if there is serotonin being releases from trams as well, is there even a possibility?

I haven't heard a lot of people that say they actually prefer it over other opioids. I normally don't take it regularly, but have recently gotten some and have been taken it regularly for maybe a week now. Not going over 400mg, but I also take an SSRI, and amphetamine daily so I do understand the negative interaction but haven't had a problem yet.

Have pretty much not taken kratom for a day or two now, have only taken tramadol and at one point oxycodone, but I've since ran out of that. Usually take kratom daily, been 5 almost six months since using any H/fent.

I haven't heard a lot of people that say they actually prefer it over other opioids. I normally don't take it regularly, but have recently gotten some and have been taken it regularly for maybe a week now. Not going over 400mg, but I also take an SSRI, and amphetamine daily so I do understand the negative interaction but haven't had a problem yet.

Have pretty much not taken kratom for a day or two now, have only taken tramadol and at one point oxycodone, but I've since ran out of that. Usually take kratom daily, been 5 almost six months since using any H/fent.

It's an acquired taste. I rank it up there among my favorites, but I definitely do not prefer it over diacetylmorphine. I would take brown over tramadol any day.

It's also one of the only opioids I've noticed seems to synergize well with buprenorphine.

Glad to hear you haven't had any negative interactions. I've known many people on SSRI's and amps that have been prescribed tramadol and I think it's reasonably safe to mix if used in lower and prescribed doses, but I think recreational doses carry the real risks.

Even when my tolerance was nil, it still took me doses of 400mg spread over an hour to actually get a narcotic-like state going. But once it hit, it was very dreamy, stimulating and long lasting.

It's an acquired taste. I rank it up there among my favorites, but I definitely do not prefer it over diacetylmorphine. I would take brown over tramadol any day.

It's also one of the only opioids I've noticed seems to synergize well with buprenorphine.

Glad to hear you haven't had any negative interactions. I've known many people on SSRI's and amps that have been prescribed tramadol and I think it's reasonably safe to mix if used in lower and prescribed doses, but I think recreational doses carry the real risks.

Well undoubtedly H is preferable. But it does seem like one that more people dislike than like. It has pissed me off going to get OCs in the past, and my hookup flaked and could only get like 150mg of tramadol. Which of course didn't do much for me at the time.

But I've found it works pretty well if you have enough, and taken it consistently it seems like the effects can kind of stack. Felt like I was nodding out all day yesterday, having only take 100mg every few hours up to 400. And like I said, it's not like I don't have a tolerance.

Well undoubtedly H is preferable. But it does seem like one that more people dislike than like. It has pissed me off going to get OCs in the past, and my hookup flaked and could only get like 150mg of tramadol. Which of course didn't do much for me at the time.

But I've found it works pretty well if you have enough, and taken it consistently it seems like the effects can kind of stack. Felt like I was nodding out all day yesterday, having only take 100mg every few hours up to 400. And like I said, it's not like I don't have a tolerance.

Absolutely. I have learned over the years that stacking doses seems to bring out more of the narcotic effect than taking a whole dose at once. I believe it's because tramadol is metabolized better if you already have some in your system. It can be a decent opioid. Back when I had no tolerance and had not yet messed around with stronger opioids, tramadol use to give me very heroin-esque nods.

After a few years on bupe now though, tramadol has lost a lot of it's magic. But it's still nice to indulge in once in awhile.

How much tramadol did you take?

How much tramadol did you take?

Even without tolerance, I still had to take anywhere from 6-8 50mg pills spread over an hour. Pop 2, wait 20 minutes, pop another 2 and so on and so forth. So anywhere from 300-400mg usually gave me a decent day. Any more than that though and I do notice very twitchy / body jerks and feelings of 'about to have a seizure'..

Tramadol is a fully synthetic opioid unlike opiates like Morphine or Codeine which are found in the poppy plant ( Papaverus Somniferum ) or semi-synthethic opioids like Diamorphine (Heroin) .

After all this time I thought tramadol was semi synthetic opioid and heroin was a natural opiate, I've been addicted to both at some time or another

Even without tolerance, I still had to take anywhere from 6-8 50mg pills spread over an hour. Pop 2, wait 20 minutes, pop another 2 and so on and so forth. So anywhere from 300-400mg usually gave me a decent day. Any more than that though and I do notice very twitchy / body jerks and feelings of 'about to have a seizure'..

I thought you were taking 1 gram or something like that lol because you said "Those who say it sucks didn't take a high enough dose".
In my worst days, I have taken more than 1 gram, but luckily I have never had a seizure.
I think the only times I've ever felt uncontrollable "body jerks" was when I took tramadol and pregabalin. Apparently, high doses of pregabalin can trigger a seizure.

I thought you were taking 1 gram or something like that lol because you said "Those who say it sucks didn't take a high enough dose".
In my worst days, I have taken more than 1 gram, but luckily I have never had a seizure.
I think the only times I've ever felt uncontrollable "body jerks" was when I took tramadol and pregabalin. Apparently, high doses of pregabalin can trigger a seizure.

Aaah nah. I've met some people who claimed that tramadol wasn't shit, but they also probably didn't take 6-8 pills of it like I did. lol

Those who say it sucks or whatever either have an extreme tolerance, didn't take a high enough dose or do not have the right liver enzymes to convert it.
I think I was one of those who had the right set of liver enzymes for converting it to its full potential. I too preferred it to most other opioids. I also loved the energy I got from it. My husband will jokingly ask me to take a "clean the house" dose of tramadol from time to time. The house was never as clean as when I was taking tramadol. But the withdrawal was awful and long-lasting.

I think I was one of those who had the right set of liver enzymes for converting it to its full potential. I too preferred it to most other opioids. I also loved the energy I got from it. My husband will jokingly ask me to take a "clean the house" dose of tramadol from time to time. The house was never as clean as when I was taking tramadol. But the withdrawal was awful and long-lasting.

How much did you take daily? I also love how motivational and stimulating tramadol can be. I think the worst part is redosing and waiting the two hours for it to take full effect. Does anyone know if you can speed up this process? Alcohol, grapefruit, caffeine?

Interesting. :) I too believe my liver did a fantastic job at metabolizing this drug for almost 10 years. Honestly, one of my favorite past times was taking my tram dosage, wait for it to kick in and then frenetically clean the house. Cleaning just felt so rewarding and relieving on it. I also noticed it made me more prone to getting my responsibilities taken care of or tackling those things that required too much physical energy for me to get done. The effects themselves came on with that stimulating phase and then slowly descend into a very noddy phase reminiscent of heroin or other typical opiates.

Unfortunately after 5 years of heroin and now 5 years of bupe, any time I take tramadol, I do notice that something in my mind/body has changed but I never get that wonderful full packed punch that it use to give me years ago and I can't understand why or what happened. I also use to be able to just sit and listen to my favorite music for hours and hours and have the time of my life just sitting there. I wonder if being on bupe raises my tolerance to it or something, although I try to stick to genuinely low dose bupe. The 'magic' of tramadol just isn't there like it use to be, even if I go without it for a couple weeks. :( I wish I knew what happened. Maybe I've finally fried out some receptors or something. I developed myoclonic jerks about 5 years ago out of no where. Not sure if it's any relation, but I still have them even to this day and I've noticed that when I take drugs that affect serotonin now, my body jerks and twitches seem to get a little worse for the duration of said medication.

Last edited:
How much did you take daily? I also love how motivational and stimulating tramadol can be. I think the worst part is redosing and waiting the two hours for it to take full effect. Does anyone know if you can speed up this process? Alcohol, grapefruit, caffeine?
By the end I was at 15-20/day, but honestly, I think I had more energy at the lower doses. Once I started getting into those higher doses, I just felt so doped up and didn't want to do anything. Although it was nice to feel that relaxed (and my pain was well-controlled), I just didn't want to sleep, I wanted to do "all the things" lol.

Does anyone know if you can speed up this process? Alcohol, grapefruit, caffeine?
I'm not sure, but I felt I had the most luck by keeping the liver functioning optimally (took some milk thistle at one point but it can be problematic) so that it could be maximally metabolized into the more opioid pathway. I seemed to notice it hitting much faster if I took on an empty stomach (and I was always drinking caffeine). For me, once I started gabapentin, there *seemed* to be some competition between the two - it didn't seem to work as well.

Interesting. :) I too believe my liver did a fantastic job at metabolizing this drug for almost 10 years. Honestly, one of my favorite past times was taking my tram dosage, wait for it to kick in and then frenetically clean the house. Cleaning just felt so rewarding and relieving on it. I also noticed it made me more prone to getting my responsibilities taken care of or tackling those things that required too much physical energy for me to get done. The effects themselves came on with that stimulating phase and then slowly descend into a very noddy phase reminiscent of heroin or other typical opiates.

Unfortunately after 5 years of heroin and now 5 years of bupe, any time I take tramadol, I do notice that something in my mind/body has changed but I never get that wonderful full packed punch that it use to give me years ago and I can't understand why or what happened. I wonder if being on bupe raises my tolerance to it or something, although I try to stick to genuinely low dose bupe. The 'magic' of tramadol just isn't there like it use to be, even if I go without it for a couple weeks. :(

Yes, I have noticed that too - it just kinda lost its magic after so many years on it. That was a sad day when I came to that realization, but it also helped me see that it was time to move on. I have wondered if the gabapentin I was on had something to do with it. I never could find anything definitive, but I always suspected, and I have heard that as well about bupe. I haven't really had any drug cravings (yet), but sometimes I JUST WANNA TAKE A DOSE TO CLEAN THE HOUSE haha. I could take a closet apart and put back together in no time. And once my husband came home and saw me cleaning the garage (I don't touch his garage). He just said, "tramadol?" lol