• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Tramadol Megathread

Have you taken tramadol alone like that before? Even if yes I wouldn't suggest it by any means.
Yes dosed out in intervals like two hours apart I only took 281.25mg today, but I had allergies really bad today so I had to take Claritin D for my allergies, which has pseudoephedrine in it, so far I feel ok.

I believe it's the increase in neurotransmitters, like serotonin and norepinephrine that can cause seizures. When these neurotransmitters get too high in the brain, they can go haywire and the brain starts misfiring.

or at least that's how I think it happens. I'm not finding much info showing what exactly it is about tramadol that makes an able to produce seizures. I believe tramadol also works on some of the nicotine-receptors. Drugs like welbutrin also interact with the nicotine receptors and is another drug known for notoriously causing seizures.

Aren't all opiates/opioids technically "convulsants" too? Since they inhibit gaba. Maybe this (which would lower seizure threshold) , combined with the added nicotine receptor activity and the SNRI profile makes it so that seizures are possible.

I've heard that people can have grand mal seizures on high dose tramadol too, which is one of the scary/can be fatal type seizures.

Anyways, thought I'd say hello and wish you well Supersonic! Curious to see if you find any other info about what directly causes the seizure aspect of tramadol. Damn, I wish I had some right now. lol

Great info @DeathIndustrial88 👏

I didn't find much information and as you say in theory all opioids are convulsants but I think that its action on serotonin and noradrealin makes the risks greater. I believe that pethidine (aka Demerol) is also known for its convulsive effects and just like tramadol it also has an effect on serotonin.

I wonder if those of us who have never suffered from seizures using high doses may have a serotonin deficiency problem.

By the way, my friend how are you? Still missing tramadol? :cry: All this serotonin/noradrenalin stuff it's makes tramadol withdrawal so hard.

My max dose wss 300mg within 7 hours. I don't know if its to high or not in this period of time .

And one thing I never get naused when using, just the next day...is that normal?

No, it's seems like a good dose to me.

I think the nausea the day after it's completly normal.

Can you take 400 mg of Tramadol spaced out in 2 hour intervals and take Claritin D that has pseudoephedrine in it? And I’ve also taken Primatene Mist for asthma.

In its therapeutic or moderate doses there should be no problem. I would be a bit careful though, as pseudoephedrine has some action on serotonin.

"The risk or severity of serotonin syndrome can be increased when Pseudoephedrine is combined with Tramadol."

Was going to take some Tramadol later but only around 200-300 - is there anything that can raise the seizure threshold and keep it safe? Or just take a lower dose?

Edit - Think I’ll just redose from 50mg upwards to see where I’m feeling comfortable with.

Last edited:
Was going to take some Tramadol later but only around 200-300 - is there anything that can raise the seizure threshold and keep it safe? Or just take a lower dose?

Edit - Think I’ll just redose from 50mg upwards to see where I’m feeling comfortable with.

In my case the only thing that works are benzos. Even alprazolam saved my ass sometimes.

Anyway, you would have to be very unlucky to have seizures at those doses pal.

I didn't find much information and as you say in theory all opioids are convulsants but I think that its action on serotonin and noradrealin makes the risks greater. I believe that pethidine (aka Demerol) is also known for its convulsive effects and just like tramadol it also has an effect on serotonin.

I wonder if those of us who have never suffered from seizures using high doses may have a serotonin deficiency problem.

By the way, my friend how are you? Still missing tramadol? :cry: All this serotonin/noradrenalin stuff it's makes tramadol withdrawal so hard.

In its therapeutic or moderate doses there should be no problem. I would be a bit careful though, as pseudoephedrine has some action on serotonin.

"The risk or severity of serotonin syndrome can be increased when Pseudoephedrine is combined with Tramadol."

Hey man!! I am doing alright! :) And yes I am still craving tramadol. lol Although it would be much much worse if I did not have buprenorphine.

I recently discovered that delta 8 thc is a "thing" here in the US and is legal and very similar to delta 9 thc. So Ive been able to go back to getting stoned, which helps cravings some times as well.

How are you coming along man?

In just wikipedia tramadol is said to inhibit gaba a at high blood levels. Much higher then therapeutic but easy to obtain when taking large doses.

All ssris lowers seizure threshold but I still think tramadol does it thru Gaba.

Ss from tramadol and cocaine etc is no joke by any means. It's often said most ss cases are not ss cases.at all. I have got mild ss many times and once bad. I have no clue did the freezing weary help me then as I had almost 39c temperature many hours it started. Since then been very careful of mixing tramadol with anything.

Hey man!! I am doing alright! :) And yes I am still craving tramadol. lol Although it would be much much worse if I did not have buprenorphine.

I recently discovered that delta 8 thc is a "thing" here in the US and is legal and very similar to delta 9 thc. So Ive been able to go back to getting stoned, which helps cravings some times as well.

How are you coming along man?

I'm really glad you're going well, my friend. At least you have buprenorphine haha. Haven't tried pregabalin or gabapentin? I think they may help somewhat with the tramadol cravings.

I'm in these constant binge / withdrawal cycles and so on. At least these days I have reduced the doses quite a bit, my binges are everyday smaller and already hardly took more than 1000 mg. What I consider a complete triumph loool.

In just wikipedia tramadol is said to inhibit gaba a at high blood levels. Much higher then therapeutic but easy to obtain when taking large doses.

All ssris lowers seizure threshold but I still think tramadol does it thru Gaba.

Ss from tramadol and cocaine etc is no joke by any means. It's often said most ss cases are not ss cases.at all. I have got mild ss many times and once bad. I have no clue did the freezing weary help me then as I had almost 39c temperature many hours it started. Since then been very careful of mixing tramadol with anything.

This is so true. I stupidly took amphetamines and antidepressants many times, not knowing that these combinations are very dangerous. It was when I registered on this forum that I learned more about what to mix with tramadol and what not to mix with. I think I only had a mild SS once and it was years ago because I stupidly took too much sertraline and felt a rapid heartbeat, my hands were shaking and a strong anxiety. With tramadol I have never had an SS, despite having taken 2000 mg a few nights. with alcohol. I think those times I was only saved because I was taking a benzo as a "precaution" mode.

I may have given myself SS or mild SS at times before and didn't even know it. Especially after coming off of so many drugs at once, it's hard to tell what's just a hot flash from withdrawal/crashing off drugs and what's my body temperature skyrocketing. Definitely best not to mix tramadol with anything else for sure.

I'm really glad you're going well, my friend. At least you have buprenorphine haha. Haven't tried pregabalin or gabapentin? I think they may help somewhat with the tramadol cravings.

I'm in these constant binge / withdrawal cycles and so on. At least these days I have reduced the doses quite a bit, my binges are everyday smaller and already hardly took more than 1000 mg. What I consider a complete triumph loool.

This is so true. I stupidly took amphetamines and antidepressants many times, not knowing that these combinations are very dangerous. It was when I registered on this forum that I learned more about what to mix with tramadol and what not to mix with. I think I only had a mild SS once and it was years ago because I stupidly took too much sertraline and felt a rapid heartbeat, my hands were shaking and a strong anxiety. With tramadol I have never had an SS, despite having taken 2000 mg a few nights. with alcohol. I think those times I was only saved because I was taking a benzo as a "precaution" mode.

True! lol Bupenorphine has it's moments where it's a pleasant drug. lol but Tramadol was way more consistent. Yet they both have their pros & cons.
If buprenorphines half life were much less, I bet it'd be more recreational. I think my issue with bupe is I often go for 2mg+ doses, so there's always constantly bupe in me and my body just doesn't register the ups and downs as it would if I was on a shorter acting opioid after it builds up in so many days.

I have tried gabapentin before and actually enjoy it. It's quite a strange drug though. The first time I ever tried it, I stayed up all night and staggered several doses (can't remember how much) and by morning, I was flying like I had done an amphetamine. Even down to the intense hypersexuality that I get with meth & other stims. I even went out and hooked up that day which is odd for me cause I'm generally a very shy, anxious person who doesn't go out and meet people very easily.

That experience was a few years ago now though. My second experience with gabapentin was just this past summer. This past round with gabapentin gave me a different experience. It was more mellowing, almost reminded me of a benzo. So I have no clue why I got so manic and amped up that first time I tried them but I have read reports of this happening. I mostly just used them to potentiate my other meds until they ran out this last time and do not have access to anymore. But it's not a bad drug! Just unpredictable it seems. I heard Lyrica is better, but I've never tried it.

You seem to be doing pretty good during your cycles though man! :) Awesome job! When it comes to getting off an opioid, even dropping by just the tiniest bit can be a personal triumph!

True! lol Bupenorphine has it's moments where it's a pleasant drug. lol but Tramadol was way more consistent. Yet they both have their pros & cons.
If buprenorphines half life were much less, I bet it'd be more recreational. I think my issue with bupe is I often go for 2mg+ doses, so there's always constantly bupe in me and my body just doesn't register the ups and downs as it would if I was on a shorter acting opioid after it builds up in so many days.

I have tried gabapentin before and actually enjoy it. It's quite a strange drug though. The first time I ever tried it, I stayed up all night and staggered several doses (can't remember how much) and by morning, I was flying like I had done an amphetamine. Even down to the intense hypersexuality that I get with meth & other stims. I even went out and hooked up that day which is odd for me cause I'm generally a very shy, anxious person who doesn't go out and meet people very easily.

That experience was a few years ago now though. My second experience with gabapentin was just this past summer. This past round with gabapentin gave me a different experience. It was more mellowing, almost reminded me of a benzo. So I have no clue why I got so manic and amped up that first time I tried them but I have read reports of this happening. I mostly just used them to potentiate my other meds until they ran out this last time and do not have access to anymore. But it's not a bad drug! Just unpredictable it seems. I heard Lyrica is better, but I've never tried it.

You seem to be doing pretty good during your cycles though man! :) Awesome job! When it comes to getting off an opioid, even dropping by just the tiniest bit can be a personal triumph!
Tramadol, lyrica n gaba ive been on since my car accident. I was on tramadol for pain n my tolerance is unbelievable plus i ive had gastric bypass.. not sure if it was the car accident n breaking my face or the tramadol but i started having seizures. Take 1500mg of keppra a day. Anyway they put me on lyrica n i gained a good 25lbs, ankles swelling, always hungry lol. So i said put me on gaba for awhile...Lyrica n gaba numb ur nerves. N i agree its a weird trip. Im a quite person but on gaba u cant get me to shut up. Music is more amazing.. just riding a unicorn over a rainbow type of happy.. but extreme high doses of lyrica n gaba can cause a seizure too..

So last night I had nausea when I was High for the first time.
Will be always like that now? Because I didnt enjoy my high because of it .
Is there some trick that i miss to not get nausea while on Tramadol?

I get nausea as well on it, most of the time but not every. Took an anti-nausea last time which sorted it out but don’t want to depend on them every time.

Thank you my friend. Right now, I'm not torturing myself about whether or not I relapsed, I'm enjoying these little triumphs. Quitting tramadol like this -cold turkey- and at the monstrous doses I was taking is insane. These days I'm only taking 600mg. maximum daily and I think with that I can make a much easier taper. Although, honestly, I would love to continue taking tram in moderate doses for its antidepressant effects without "chasing" the high. Here tram it's much cheaper than many antidepressants and of course more effective. I've taken fluoxetine, sertraline and escitalopram and none even come close to the antidepressant power of tramadol.

About gaba / prega, I would love to try gabapentin, even though I've taken pregabalin and nowadays it doesn't do much for me. Will there be cross tolerance between pregabalin and gabapentin? I hope not. My experiences are similar to yours, the first few times I felt that the pregabalin was very stimulating and almost transformed me into another person (very sociable and talkative). Later, my experiences were not so satisfactory and that euphoria was disappearing until today it no longer causes me anything. Tolerance is gained very quickly, faster than tramadol or a benzo. It's a shame because I really liked those first experiences. I've not wanted to take more than 750-1000 mg. in the last year because mixed with the tramadol that I take daily it causes me some scary muscle jerks. Makes me fear for a seizure. Weird stuff because pregabalin it's is supposedly an anticonvulsant.

It's weird man. I only had a little nausea the first time I took it or the times I took it after many weeks without taking it. I was puking once but I didn't even care cause how high I was. How many times have you taken it? If just a few, I think it's normal that it causes some nausea. I think I read once that it's one of the opioids that causes the most nausea. Do you take it on an empty stomach or with a little meal before?

Thank you my friend. Right now, I'm not torturing myself about whether or not I relapsed, I'm enjoying these little triumphs. Quitting tramadol like this -cold turkey- and at the monstrous doses I was taking is insane. These days I'm only taking 600mg. maximum daily and I think with that I can make a much easier taper. Although, honestly, I would love to continue taking tram in moderate doses for its antidepressant effects without "chasing" the high. Here tram it's much cheaper than many antidepressants and of course more effective. I've taken fluoxetine, sertraline and escitalopram and none even come close to the antidepressant power of tramadol.

About gaba / prega, I would love to try gabapentin, even though I've taken pregabalin and nowadays it doesn't do much for me. Will there be cross tolerance between pregabalin and gabapentin? I hope not. My experiences are similar to yours, the first few times I felt that the pregabalin was very stimulating and almost transformed me into another person (very sociable and talkative). Later, my experiences were not so satisfactory and that euphoria was disappearing until today it no longer causes me anything. Tolerance is gained very quickly, faster than tramadol or a benzo. It's a shame because I really liked those first experiences. I've not wanted to take more than 750-1000 mg. in the last year because mixed with the tramadol that I take daily it causes me some scary muscle jerks. Makes me fear for a seizure. Weird stuff because pregabalin it's is supposedly an anticonvulsant.

It's definitely insane! lol You have a lot more courage than I do! Even after getting on bupe, I still wanted tramadol (along with heroin) and would switch back n forth. My connect for it getting cut off, plus moving, is why I've actually stopped altogether. Otherwise, I'd probably have some trams in me right now. lol So you are kicking ass!

I am SO bored with bupe again! God I wish I could be on methadone or a different opiate.

I wouldn't mind having some gabapentin again. Weird that our experiences were so similar.
I do believe they have cross tolerance. I think they also have cross tolerance with phenibut, baclofen and maybe GHB & alcohol too.
Gaba agonists are a bit of a hit n miss some times & i've read they can have some nasty withdrawals. I think baclofen withdrawal can be fatal.

It's weird man. I only had a little nausea the first time I took it or the times I took it after many weeks without taking it. I was puking once but I didn't even care cause how high I was. How many times have you taken it? If just a few, I think it's normal that it causes some nausea. I think I read once that it's one of the opioids that causes the most nausea. Do you take it on an empty stomach or with a little meal before?

Empty stomach, and that is . I need to eat while I'm dosing.

It's definitely insane! lol You have a lot more courage than I do! Even after getting on bupe, I still wanted tramadol (along with heroin) and would switch back n forth. My connect for it getting cut off, plus moving, is why I've actually stopped altogether. Otherwise, I'd probably have some trams in me right now. lol So you are kicking ass!

I am SO bored with bupe again! God I wish I could be on methadone or a different opiate.

I wouldn't mind having some gabapentin again. Weird that our experiences were so similar.
I do believe they have cross tolerance. I think they also have cross tolerance with phenibut, baclofen and maybe GHB & alcohol too.
Gaba agonists are a bit of a hit n miss some times & i've read they can have some nasty withdrawals. I think baclofen withdrawal can be fatal.

Thank you @DeathIndustrial88 for your support, my friend!! Today I've only taken 300 mg of tram, I'm not high but I do feel pretty good and with a lot of energy.

How long have you been without H? Is it true that opioids will always be a temptation or is it not? Why are you bored of bupe? The time I tried buprenorphine I didn't find it as euphoric but the opioid effects were there. I took it in a week where I wasn't able to get tramadol or codeine and it got rid of all withdrawal symptoms, although as a precaution I waited 24 hours from my last dose of tram.

The worst thing for me is that my tolerance to pregabalin appears to be chronic because I have tried 750-1000mg doses. and I feel nothing. I didn't even took it for much time, it was like two months (May-June 2019) with binges here and there. Do you think that if I go over 1000 mg. of pregabalin I can get some recreational effect or my tolerance is completely ruined?

Empty stomach, and that is . I need to eat while I'm dosing.

I think that has a lot to do with it. The times I have puked on tramadol is when I eat during dosing. I would avoid it. Once you feel high, the suppression of appetite is extraordinary, what I think least about is food. Just wait a moment until you feel that the tramadol is at its peak and you will see how the appetite disappears.

Maybe you should eat something light 1 hour before starting to dose. I don't know if tramadol will be better absorbed after eating some fat but I would swear after eating a Snickers bar the tramadol hit me harder haha (although it was possibly just placebo).