• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Tramadol and sleep quality: Had a different experience, what is yours?

Mureceptor

Bluelighter
I am a nearly 60 year old bodybuilder and martial artist who lives with a lot of pain. I will never stop training, even though I am now facing hip/shoulder replacement and other painful issues. I am EXTREMELY careful with medications and have been using Kratom 3-4 times a week. I have an unlimited supply of Tramadol but generally do not touch it for 2 reasons: One is the addiction potential, but I believe that if I limited its use to twice a week when I am really hurting I will be OK.

The other reason I don't take it is because it ruins my deep sleep, which has been documented in the scientific literature.

Yesterday after training I was in a great deal of pain and was in a hurry (wife' birthday) so I did not have time to prep any Kratom (I use either capsules of make it in a fruit/protein shake). So I took a 100 mg Tramadol. After 3 hours I was still in a hurt locker, so I took another. I also took a Norflex and finally got some relief.

But here is the strange part: I slept well and was refreshed. I expected crappy sleep and to be tired today, but I feel good. Has anyone else taken Tramadol and slept well? Is the sleep issue overstated in the scientific literature?

Thanks.

I'd first like to say that kratom also has significant addiction potential so be weary, just because it's "all natural, comes from the earth maaaan" does not mean it's 100% safe. I'm currently very addicted to it.

To the main point. When I was taking tramadol regularly I felt that it was giving me strange sleep issues. I never felt like I got a full nights sleep, even after 8+ hours. Also im the kind of person who can sleep 12+ hours if allowed but on tramadol I couldn't seem to get past 6 hours without waking or feeling like I had interrupted sleep. Tramadol has a very long half life, if taken in staggered doses it can even last 30+ hours and be felt into the next day. If you want short term and more "disposable" drugs to ease workout stress at the end of the day i'd recommend sticking with infrequent and small doses of kratom.

I'd first like to say that kratom also has significant addiction potential so be weary, just because it's "all natural, comes from the earth maaaan" does not mean it's 100% safe. I'm currently very addicted to it.

To the main point. When I was taking tramadol regularly I felt that it was giving me strange sleep issues. I never felt like I got a full nights sleep, even after 8+ hours. Also im the kind of person who can sleep 12+ hours if allowed but on tramadol I couldn't seem to get past 6 hours without waking or feeling like I had interrupted sleep. Tramadol has a very long half life, if taken in staggered doses it can even last 30+ hours and be felt into the next day. If you want short term and more "disposable" drugs to ease workout stress at the end of the day i'd recommend sticking with infrequent and small doses of kratom.
Thanks...if you read my posts you will know that I am scared snitless of addiction issues. Kratom is a miracle drug...I live with serious pain...full facial reconstruction from a knee in MMA training (and other broken bones). They actually don't hurt but give you an idea. I have hip arthritis...will probably need replacement, same w/ my right shoulder (which has already had a serious operation) plantar fasciitis...now in both feet, and this hurts much more than arthritis. The most painful is my tendonitis in my glutei/hamstring tie in. It is extremely painful. Some days I limp pretty badly. I have changed my training to 2 on 1 off...that helps but only on my days off.

Back to Kratom, yes, my research on this board has revealed that a lot of people are addicted to it. I have been using it for a year with no problems....but that is no guarantee. I know of another bodybuilder who is also addicted, he NEEDS it 3 times a day to get by. Before coming on this board I was on a 2 day on one day off schedule (only on training days) but since have cut back to 3-4 times a week. From what I have gathered on this forum if you do Kratom 1 day, then Tramadol the other, again 2 on 1 off (which was my original plan) you can still get addicted. That is because all the body knows is that you are giving it something similar to an opiod on a regular basis. When I take Kratom I usually take about 6 grams in the evening, then another 4. I take about 30-35 grams a week and I weigh 224 lbs. Does this schedule present danger? I might swap out Tramadol for Kratom on 1, maybe 2 days a week.

My logic has been this: I will only get addicted to drugs I enjoy. I love alcohol..so much so that I used to drink 15 beers a day. Thats not a typo. However, I have not touched a drop in 32.5 years. I also like benzos....I take them but sparingly....once, twice a week tops, in the smallest amount possible. If it sounds like I have access to a lot of drugs, I do. I am semi retired, but I still work with a lot of athletes, mainly combat and bodybuilders, but also baseball players and golfers. You would be shocked at the amount of drugs involved. Marijuana is rampant...but I can take it or leave it. I have had a quarter of medical grade sitting in my closet the last 6 months.

I have never really liked opioids, or any kind of pain medication. When younger the only time I ever touched it was after major surgeries. I enjoy not being in pain. Since I don't really enjoy the high I figured I was less susceptible to addiction. However, after reading this forum it seems that it is possible to create demand for the opiod even if you don't enjoy the high. Am I going down a dangerous path?

If you have legitimate pain that stops you from doing everyday things then I think you have a perfectly good reason to use kratom and tramadol on and off. If you dont romanticize opiates and you don't really like the "high" then I think you are less likely to develop an addiction that would lower your quality of life.

If you can keep your use to only when needed for your pain and only to get you functioning normally then I think thats a reasonable use of opiates. If you start justifying it for non utilitarian reason then you'll be in deep trouble, but you seem very cognizant on the risks of addiction and wanting to keep your dose low

I confirm that tramadol is excellent for a relaxed and uninterrupted deep sleep.