• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Tramadol - Am I going to experience withdrawal?

I had withdrawals from tramadol every month for over 10 years.

Yes you will have withdrawals. Not only typical opioid withdrawal symptoms, but also possibly SNRI-withdrawal symptoms.

Some people say they don't get shit from tramadol (and they probably don't if they don't have the right liver enzymes)

But tramadol withdrawal had me suicidal many, many times.

It is not something you want to get dependent on, unless you know you'll have access to it forever.

The withdrawals lasted about 7 days for me. And were straight up torture. Honestly I don't think they ever go away, cause even after those 7 days, my entire life was focused around when I could fill that next script.

COMING OFF OF TRAMADOL COLD TURKEY CAN CAUSE SEIZURES!!!
Why is everyone telling them to go cold turkey when this is a known risk with tramadol??????

You definitely want to taper this drug. You will have a much easier time if you do. Cold turkey tramadol is severe hell & dangerous.

I never had a seizure but I feel like I came close many times whenever I raised the dose above 400mg. My teeth would chatter and I'd have tremeors and a weird sensation in my head like I was gonna black out or something bad was about to happen.

As for the above poster, I have been through both tramadol & heroin withdrawal. Both are insane hell, but tramadol has that SNRI-discontinuation syndrome attached to it as well. This takes it to a whole other ballgame. Also it's half-life is longer, meaning it'll take longer to leave the body.

Last edited:
Did you start using the Xanax and Tramadol at the same time, or had you been using the Xanax longer? Because you mentioned the high was not that as high of use of other opioids, were those other opioids also taken with Xanax? or did that only start specifically with the Tramadol. Because if it did then that might help explain why the high of the opioids before was stronger because for a lot of people mixing in a benzo can severely weaken the effect of the opioid, and vice versa. It would also ring alarm bells of stopping these two at the same time if the Xanax was present all along with the other combos.
This is true too.

I actually prefer NOT to mix my opioid with a benzo because the benzo will turn it into a non-euphoric (even dysphoric) snooze fest.

If you've had problems with benzos before yeah but If your receptors are fked you'll wd a bit. Probably some insomnia for a few days and sum anxiety. I've been taking 4-8mg clonaz a day for the past 2 years but I've yet to experienced wd, I never run out of minty clonas. Boo
This has been my experience too. I have taken clonazepam off and on for years & years & never have any perceptible withdrawals.

I do get rebound anxiety if I don't take it some times, but this doesn't last too long & doesn't actually feel like a "withdrawal", just a return of the anxiety really.

I never run out of clonazepam & I find benzo's awfully boring to 'abuse' or take recreational. They'll stop a panic attack, but that's all they're good for, for me.

This thread a lone shows how vastly different people can react to drugs. Some say tramadol withdrawal is nothing, for others, like myself, it was a disabling nightmare. For some, benzo withdrawal is a nightmare but people like me can forget to take it or not take it and never notice anything except some rebound panic attacks for a day or so.

Last edited:
What is going on with the OP? I have never had any opiod addiction (I am SUPER paranoid and have pretty much only taken what is prescribed as prescribed after surgeries) but I have gotten hooked on Benzos. That was once nearly 30 years ago and I did a long taper to get off. I few years ago tried taking half a valium for 6 days and even that small amount produced wd's for a full week. Now I limit Benzos to once or twice a week. I have access to as much as I want of both (I have 3 big bottles of Tramadol) but out of fear pretty much never take Tramadol. It inhibits sleep quality and if I am in pain I go with Kratom instead (limiting to nighttime only 3-4 times a week).

I would taper down the Tramadol immediately and then start a gradual taper off the Benzos. I would also recommend getting some support such as that in NA. I know the religious component can seem oppressive but I used AA for many years and have not touched alcohol for 32 years. You have a history of addiction so I doubt if you can use either of these drugs safely for more than a few days.

This has been my experience too. I have taken clonazepam off and on for years & years & never have any perceptible withdrawals.

I do get rebound anxiety if I don't take it some times, but this doesn't last too long & doesn't actually feel like a "withdrawal", just a return of the anxiety really.

I never run out of clonazepam & I find benzo's awfully boring to 'abuse' or take recreational. They'll stop a panic attack, but that's all they're good for, for me.

This thread a lone shows how vastly different people can react to drugs. Some say tramadol withdrawal is nothing, for others, like myself, it was a disabling nightmare. For some, benzo withdrawal is a nightmare but people like me can forget to take it or not take it and never notice anything except some rebound panic attacks for a day or so.
For me tramadol wds were a fking nitemsre to get off but with comfort meds I was able to do it

What is going on with the OP? I have never had any opiod addiction (I am SUPER paranoid and have pretty much only taken what is prescribed as prescribed after surgeries) but I have gotten hooked on Benzos. That was once nearly 30 years ago and I did a long taper to get off. I few years ago tried taking half a valium for 6 days and even that small amount produced wd's for a full week. Now I limit Benzos to once or twice a week. I have access to as much as I want of both (I have 3 big bottles of Tramadol) but out of fear pretty much never take Tramadol. It inhibits sleep quality and if I am in pain I go with Kratom instead (limiting to nighttime only 3-4 times a week).

I would taper down the Tramadol immediately and then start a gradual taper off the Benzos. I would also recommend getting some support such as that in NA. I know the religious component can seem oppressive but I used AA for many years and have not touched alcohol for 32 years. You have a history of addiction so I doubt if you can use either of these drugs safely for more than a few days.
welcome to BL, i did not know tram was so addictive, ive only taken about 10 in my life and didnt do anything for pain, i didnt notice a lil help with fent WD , i was going to ask dentist for some, but i suppose i best stay away from it, appreciate your post

Hello to everybody, first time poster here.

Over the last 2 weeks I have been abusing tramadol quite heavily, along with plenty on Xanax. The high I felt was not as great as I have experienced with other opiates but the effect on my mood and energy levels has be incredible. I can see this developing into a problem.
Specific Info: Daily dosage of tramadol is around 500mg and the XANAX probably 3-4 milligrams.

Other info: Was 5 years clean from heroin (until two weeks ago) prior to this relapse .

I am considering just stopping it all "cold turkey".

My only concern is that my body may have become physically dependent (I know its only two week)

I would appreciate if somebody could give me the in's and out as to how to deal the the situation

Thank you all
Try cold turkey and see what will happening.Two weeks are short time.The dose is not small.I guess you will have some unpleasant symptoms for a two-three days.You can handle it,cause it will be short-lived withdrawl.In case you feel too bad just tapper a week.Wish you sucess.

welcome to BL, i did not know tram was so addictive, ive only taken about 10 in my life and didnt do anything for pain, i didnt notice a lil help with fent WD , i was going to ask dentist for some, but i suppose i best stay away from it, appreciate your post
Waitaminute.....Tramadol is addictive....but at least for me it is extremely effective for pain. That is the catch. I am a nearly 60 year old competitive bodybuilder and MMArtist (was a wrestler in high school). I have a ton of surgeries and need joint replacement and more surgeries. I live with a large amount of pain and Tramadol knocks it out nearly as well as other opioids. It damages sleep quality and, based upon my research here, is potentially very addictive. I researched this forum thoroughly and that is the consensus I drew and thus I rarely take Tramadol. I am in pretty bad pain right now and am having some Kratom, but even that I only use 3 times a week or so.

Anyone use to things like fentanyl or heroin is probably not going to like tramadol, unless you let your tolerance drop first.

And some people get nothing from tramadol period, because it relies on a liver enzyme to be metabolized into O-desmethyltramadol, which is a full agonist and much more potent.

Tramadol itself (the parent drug) has very, very weak partial mu agonist properties. This is why snorting tramadol is pretty pointless. So if you have a huge tolerance or don't have the right liver enzyme, you probably will think tramadol is garbage.

Even without a tolerance, I still had to take anywhere from 250-400mg on the first try just to get tramadol to work. And then you can practically feel it's metabolite about 1.5hrs in when the nods start to come on.

Before my mom died, she eventually tried her tramadol & on the days that she would take 1 measly pill, she would be flying around cleaning and enjoying herself. I never saw my mom so pepped up before. She finally said "now I know why you're addicted to them". lol Oh mamma, I miss you!

I think drugs hit people harder when they're in the 60's & 70's and beyond too. So at her age, that 1 pill made her feel pretty good, yet I'd have to scarf down 6-8 of those bad boys to feel it.

Last edited:
Tramadol withdrawal sucks, I don't know why but its like 8-10 days acute, where normal heroin would be 3-4 days.

My doctor didn't want to prescribe me bupre when I asked for it and gave me a bunch of tramal with a taper plan. ;(

I think id rather cold turkey the oxycodone I'm on then switch to tramal and have to withdraw from that. I just don't understand why tramal which is not really strong has such bad withdrawal. I know it is an SNRI , but can one have antidepressant withdrawal just after a week's worth of use?

Tramadol withdrawal sucks, I don't know why but its like 8-10 days acute, where normal heroin would be 3-4 days.

My doctor didn't want to prescribe me bupre when I asked for it and gave me a bunch of tramal with a taper plan. ;(

I think id rather cold turkey the oxycodone I'm on then switch to tramal and have to withdraw from that. I just don't understand why tramal which is not really strong has such bad withdrawal. I know it is an SNRI , but can one have antidepressant withdrawal just after a week's worth of use?
Yeah,idk why too.strange stuff