• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Tramadol 50mg vs Tylenol #4

DeMoniq1

Greenlighter
Hello! First time poster. My doc switched me from Tylenol #4s to Tramadol 50mg. I'm not feeling any relief from the Tramadol at all. Not even when I take 2. We are not looking to taper my medication down - she just did it because she has this crazy notion that one can not take Tylenol when one has Covid - which I do. What I am wondering is... Are they even equal? Would a 50mg Tramadol give someone the same pain relief as a Tylenol #4? ER doc told me to pop a bunch of Nyquil and go to bed. Nyquil has a ton of Acetaminophen! But then my Pain Mgmt doc goes and takes away my Tylenol 4. I'm so annoyed!
I should mention I am currently tapering off Cymbalta and have those nasty brain zaps and I am quitting smoking cold turkey. I take pain meds because I have a crazy amount of angiolipomas.

Last edited:
Tramadol is not comparable to Tylenol #4 at all (which is Tylenol plus 60mg of codeine). Not in my experience anyway. Codeine is a more potent opioid than tramadol.

Be really careful taking more than one of these at the same time. I had never had a seizure before in my life until I overdosed on tramadol trying to catch a buzz and not knowing the danger. Now I have had a whole bunch of seizures because of other medications and things like benzo withdrawals.

Once you have your first seizure your risk of having another increases dramatically.

I wouldn't even accept a script of tramadol because I've had too many seizures from it. Even one tramadol is likely to trigger a seizure now.

Codeine is a real, naturally occurring, opiate. If you take too many you are likely to puke and/or fall asleep. Tramadol is more like an antidepressant with some mild opioid actions on the side.

According to the text books Codeine and Tramadol are about the same in potency, neither one is stronger than the other so it all boils down to personal preference. The only real difference between them is Tramadol tends to have more side effects due to its SNRI activity. If both are giving u problems then ask for Dihydrocodeine which is twice as strong as Codeine and Tramadol.

I do believe they are pretty equal but I am trying to determine if the dosing is comparable. Tylenol 4 (300mg acetaminophen + 60mg codeine) Vs. 50mg Tramadol. If I took one T4, would I get the same pain relief as I would from one 50mg Tramadol? I'm thinking the Tramadol is not as strong as a T4 so she really should have prescribed a stronger dose of Tramadol. Other thing is I read something that because I have been on T4s for so long, the Tramadol will not be effective. Damn! I am so annoyed because now I am going to have to suffer through the weekend with no medication. I am so tired of not having my pain properly managed. It took me years to prove to them I was not drug seeking.

Last edited:
According to the text books Codeine and Tramadol are about the same in potency, neither one is stronger than the other so it all boils down to personal preference. The only real difference between them is Tramadol tends to have more side effects due to its SNRI activity. If both are giving u problems then ask for Dihydrocodeine which is twice as strong as Codeine and Tramadol.
Does Dihydrocodeine come without acetaminophen? Do you know the name of it?

Hello! First time poster. My doc switched me from Tylenol #4s to Tramadol 50mg. I'm not feeling any relief from the Tramadol at all. Not even when I take 2. We are not looking to taper my medication down - she just did it because she has this crazy notion that one can not take Tylenol when one has Covid - which I do. What I am wondering is... Are they even equal? Would a 50mg Tramadol give someone the same pain relief as a Tylenol #4? ER doc told me to pop a bunch of Nyquil and go to bed. Nyquil has a ton of Acetaminophen! But then my Pain Mgmt doc goes and takes away my Tylenol 4. I'm so annoyed!
I should mention I am currently tapering off Cymbalta and have those nasty brain zaps and I am quitting smoking cold turkey. I take pain meds because I have a crazy amount of angiolipomas.
I don’t know your condition but cymbalta and tramadol are a n extremely dangerous combination you should change your doctor. There is serious chances of epileptic seizures and even brain dommage. (Cymbalta is a nasty fucking thing) shoul be illegal

If I take too much codeine I get all itchy and might even nod just like other REAL opiates.

I took too much tramadol once, I didn't feel very high (I certainly wasn't itching or nodding), and then I had my first ever seizure. Now I have the privilege of having a lowered seizure threshold for the rest of my life.

Now 1x 100mg dose of tramadol is enough to cause a seizure.

Forgive me for disagreeing with you, but you're wrong. So wrong. They're nothing alike. Not even close.

Kratom is a far superior opioid to tramadol.

There is a reason why codeine has been a controlled substance longer than I've been alive and tramadol wasn't even scheduled for years and years.

If I take too much codeine I get all itchy and might even nod just like other REAL opiates.

I took too much tramadol once, I didn't feel very high (I certainly wasn't itching or nodding), and then I had my first ever seizure. Now I have the privilege of having a lowered seizure threshold for the rest of my life.

Now 1x 100mg dose of tramadol is enough to cause a seizure.

Forgive me for disagreeing with you, but you're wrong. So wrong. They're nothing alike. Not even close.

Kratom is a far superior opioid to tramadol.

There is a reason why codeine has been a controlled substance longer than I've been alive and tramadol wasn't even scheduled for years and years.
Im like you know but because of lyrica, never tried tramadol and never have to intention to do so

I would rather have a couple of the pills they sell in other countries (and online) that only contain 8mg of codeine per pill than a 50mg tramadol and the OP was getting the pills with 60mg of codeine.

I would rather have a couple of the pills they sell in other countries (and online) that only contain 8mg of codeine per pill than a 50mg tramadol and the OP was getting the pills with 60mg of codeine.
In Ouganda they break a bottle of beer, take the tip, pack the thing with much weed as they can add tramadol sometimes they had uppers and they smoke it. Looks disgusting. Anyway i ordered kratom for thé first time to stop methadone and I can’t wait to receive it, I order red Hulu kapuas, I hope I’ll be satisfy.

In Ouganda they break a bottle of beer, take the tip, pack the thing with much weed as they can add tramadol sometimes they had uppers and they smoke it. Looks disgusting. Anyway i ordered kratom for thé first time to stop methadone and I can’t wait to receive it, I order red Hulu kapuas, I hope I’ll be satisfy.
They smoke crushed tramadol pills? Does it work?

I'd seen the neck of a beer bottle used as a pipe like that, watching a documentary 15-20 years ago about South Africans "smoking the white pipe" (smoking crushed Mandrax tablets sprinkled in with marijuana). But the idea of getting a rush from smoked methaqualone seems more intuitive than from smoked tramadol....

How much methadone are you on?

I tried going to the methadone clinic to get off a 100g/day kratom habit. I only stayed long enough to get up to 80mg/day but I was still in pain and was taking kratom for pain relief on top of the methadone everyday.

It was fifteen dollars a day for the methadone and I had to drive across town to get dosed every morning so I quit the clinic and went back to my regular dose of kratom.

They smoke crushed tramadol pills? Does it work?

I'd seen the neck of a beer bottle used as a pipe like that, watching a documentary 15-20 years ago about South Africans "smoking the white pipe" (smoking crushed Mandrax tablets sprinkled in with marijuana). But the idea of getting a rush from smoked methaqualone seems more intuitive than from smoked tramadol....
It is the same principle some are putting mandrax too, something they even put the first pills they can get. In Kinshasa people a smoking «bombé» which is a mix of car exhaust dust and mixed medications. Sometime they even use ARV’s to get high and in some special case it seemed to have real psychotropic properties.

It is the same principle some are putting mandrax too, something they even put the first pills they can get. In Kinshasa people a smoking «bombé» which is a mix of car exhaust dust and mixed medications. Sometime they even use ARV’s to get high and in some special case it seemed to have real psychotropic properties.
What are ARV's?

How much methadone are you on?

I tried going to the methadone clinic to get off a 100g/day kratom habit. I only stayed long enough to get up to 80mg/day but I was still in pain and was taking kratom for pain relief on top of the methadone everyday.

It was fifteen dollars a day for the methadone and I had to drive across town to get dosed every morning so I quit the clinic and went back to my regular dose of kratom.
Im at 43mg now and lowing of 3mg every month, my gold is to get of methadone because is has start to give me hard times digesting in the morning so I have terrible stomach hach probably because it is slowing down too much my buddy. I hope kratom, is better

Im at 43mg now and lowing of 3mg every month, my gold is to get of methadone because is has start to give me hard times digesting in the morning so I have terrible stomach hach probably because it is slowing down too much my buddy. I hope kratom, is better
Kratom has some side effects, but I grew tolerant to them. I never got any bad side effects unless I pushed my dose too high for my tolerance at the time. A kratom overdose is very unpleasant.

I've never had the strain you ordered but it's good that it's a red strain. Green strains are more likely to cause the shakiness and unpleasantness that occur with a kratom overdose. Reds feel more "opioid". Usually they are more sedating than greens (which can be stimulating in unpleasant ways some times).

My favorite strain was always Borneo red. I ate a kilo every ten days.

I finally kicked my habit quite a few years ago now. I don't miss it but I do enjoy kratom and don't mind enjoying some once every blue moon.

Actually now I just spend an occasional $20 on fentadope (not even once every two months). It's closer to where I live. I enjoy it as a rare treat. I could never afford the kind of heroin habit that I know that I would have so it's a rare treat.

Does Dihydrocodeine come without acetaminophen? Do you know the name of it?

In the UK it's available with or without APAP. The formulation with APAP is called Co-Dydramol. I think Dihydrocodeine is only available on it's own in the US but don't quote me on that.

In the UK it's available with or without APAP. The formulation with APAP is called Co-Dydramol. I think Dihydrocodeine is only available on it's own in the US but don't quote me on that.
No, AFAIK, in the compound product originally branded "Synalgos-DC," containing: dihydrocodeine 16.2mg + aspirin 388.8mg + caffeine 32.4mg. It's quite an old product, like most compound analgesics.... the fact that the ingredients were still weighed in grains should be a giveaway (16.2mg = 1/4 grain, 388.8mg = 6 grains).

I think there used to be more DHC products on the market but they were still mostly compounds (especially for cough); hydrocodone, for whatever reason, got much more popular in the US and served a similar role (low-dose preparations available w/o Rx from a pharmacist).

I've never seen or heard of dihydrocodeine in the US. Ever. Not even once.