• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Tobacco effects benzos?

Mighty-oak

Bluelighter
I have been reading on the net that tobacco effects benzos as in makes them weaker? Anyone else read/heard or even found this out? I am prescribed 2 different benzos and smoke 20 a day so the benzos might not be working as well as they should??

Tobacco can induce over activity of liver enzymes, thus increasing their metabolism and decreasing their effect. Which benzo were you using?

I used all kinds of benzos for many years and never noticed a decrease in potency/effect/whatever when smoking.
It is most likely there but imho not to an extend that is significantly noticeable.

Tobacco can induce over activity of liver enzymes, thus increasing their metabolism and decreasing their effect. Which benzo were you using?

This
There are a few other threads about it. Just use the search engine :)

Will look on search engine now :)

Benzos....I am on 0.5mg of Klonopin a day and 10mg Valium a day, been on these for over 10 years.

Yes, I read about this on Erowid, I remember in regards to alprazolam it said that tobacco use could effect the BA, and that in some cases people who smoked badly decreased the bioavailability of alprazolam by up to 50% or something near that. I'll try to pull up a link to the article. I like this thread because outside of a conversation I had with my ex-girlfriend (who suddenly had more sympathy for me and my need for increased dosages of klonopin) I haven't seen much discussion on this.

/EDIT
okay found it!

Special populations
Changes in the absorption, distribution, metabolism and excretion of benzodiazepines have been reported in a variety of disease states including alcoholism, impaired hepatic function and impaired renal function. Changes have also been demonstrated in geriatric patients. A mean half-life of alprazolam of 16.3 hours has been observed in healthy elderly subjects (range: 9.0-26.9 hours, n = 16) compared to 11.0 hours (range: 6.3-15.8 hours, n = 16) in healthy adult subjects. The co-administration of oral contraceptives to healthy women increased the half-life of alprazolam as compared to that in healthy control women (mean: 12.4 hours, n = 11 versus 9.6 hours, n = 9). There was a prolongation in the mean half-life of alprazolam from 12.4 hours (range: 7.2-18.4 hours, n = 9) to 16.6 hours (range: 10.0- 24.3 hours, n = 9) by the co-administration of cimetidine to the same healthy adults. In patients with alcoholic liver disease the half-life of alprazolam ranged between 5.8 and 65.3 hours (mean: 19.7 hours, n = 17) as compared to between 6.3 and 26.9 hours (mean = 11.4 hours, n = 17) in healthy subjects. In an obese group of subjects the half-life of alprazolam ranged between 9.9 and 40.4 hours (mean = 21.8 hours, n = 12) as compared to between 6.3 and 15.8 hours (mean = 10.6 hours, n = 12) in healthy subjects.

Because of its similarity to other benzodiazepines, it is assumed that alprazolam undergoes transplacental passage and that it is excreted in human milk.

Race - Maximal concentrations and half-life of alprazolam are approximately 15% and 25% higher in Asians compared to Caucasians.

Gender - Gender has no effect on the pharmacokinetics of alprazolam.

Cigarette Smoking - Alprazolam concentrations may be reduced by up to 50% in smokers compared to non-smokers.

So I have two disadvantages, compromised liver and I'm a smoker!

Last edited:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11524025
Clinically, reduced drowsiness in smokers receiving chlorpromazine, and benzodiazepines, compared with nonsmokers has been reported. Increased clearance of the benzodiazepines alprazolam, lorazepam, oxazepam, diazepam and demethyl-diazepam is found in cigarette smokers, whereas chlordiazepoxide does not appear to be affected by smoking.

Wow, amazing replies and very interesting, thank you......Ok......Think it maybe time to quit smoking! A pack of 20 here in the UK is £8.22p so $11.95 dollars. So I will benefit from saving money and hopefully anxiety will decrease as the benzos will work that bit better.....I hope!