• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Tianeptine - A Cautionary Tale (Don't Be An Idiot Like Me!)

I B Profane

Bluelighter
Hello friends. I wanted to take a moment to discuss a drug called Tianeptine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tianeptine

Tianeptine is a tryciclic antidepressant, and it is also a full agonist at the mu-opioid and delta-opioid receptors. At therapeutic doses, the opiate effects are negligible to nonexistent, but it does produce mild (yet perceptible) antidepressant and anti anxiety effects. When taken in doses far beyond the therapeutic range, the opiate effects become more apparent and it feels a bit like kratom. It's a mild nod, but still an opiate high nonetheless.

The suggested dosage is 12.5mg, taken three times daily. At this dose it functions more like a nootropic, and provides a small bit of relief from anxiety and depression. Most people on the Internet have warned to not exceed this amount, since we still don't know much about the substance and people have reported severe withdrawal effects upon discontinuation of heavy dosing. Well, I didn't heed the advice, so now I will tell you my personal experience with Tianeptine, and why I would suggest that anyone who intends to take this stuff should proceed with extreme caution.

I have been taking Tianeptine every day for about a month and a half now, in both nootropic doses and doses far beyond the therapeutic range. I originally got it to help with benzo withdrawal. I am prescribed 1mg Clonazepam per night and often times near the end of the month I will find myself in short supply. I usually take my medication as prescribed, but every now and again I'll give one to a friend or take an extra pill. I had heard about Tianeptine, virtually the only legal quasi-opioid available (with kratom being banned in my home state), and I figured that it would help ease some of the symptoms associated with benzo w/d. What I did not anticipate was the slippery slope that led to me taking Tianeptine every day, and the precarious predicament that I now find myself in.

Getting 5 grams of Tianeptine was terribly excessive, and retrospectively a very bad decision. It wasn't before long that I found myself taking large amounts of the stuff every night (eyeballed, in the ~200mg range). Anybody who has experience with opiates will tell you that it's quite insidious, and you don't even realize it's catching up to you until it does. I originally planned to exercise self-control, something that I'm usually fairly good at, and yet I still found myself taking large amounts of the stuff every night. At one point, I even gave half my stash to a friend, telling him that I couldn't control myself around this stuff and needed to only have access to a small amount so I'm not tempted to overdo it. I am now 3 days deep in Tianeptine withdrawal, and it sucks.

Tianeptine withdrawal is a lot more like SSRI withdrawal than opiate withdrawal, but I imagine that at higher doses for prolonged periods of time that it would feel like withdrawing from both. I've been noticeably depressed since I stopped taking it. I usually try and keep my thoughts positive, but I think the Tianeptine induced chemical inbalance has been causing all sorts of intrusive thoughts (feeling like everyone hates me, etc) that I simply wouldn't have otherwise. Thankfully, I have only been experiencing mild opiate w/d effects (similar to flu like symptoms) but it's nothing some Dayquil and Tums cant fix. The depression part of Tianeptine w/d is the real killer. Anyone can tell you that antidepressant withdrawal is fucked up and horrible, and same goes for opiate withdrawal. If you take this chemical recklessly, like I did, you'd better believe you're in for a pretty nasty withdrawal.

Since I'm astoundingly terrible at taking my own advice, I have another five grams on the way. I plan on giving four of the five grams to a friend to hold on to, and using the other gram in ever-decreasing nootropic doses. I think I could taper off of Tianeptine this way pretty gently and painlessly, but only if I do so quickly and don't let it take hold of me again. It's difficult, having a bag of feelgood powder and trying to exercise the discipline and self-control to not take it. Opiate enthusiasts should understand this well.

Tl;dr: Tianeptine seems pretty mild at first, but it's a very easy habit to pick up and a very difficult one to kick. I plan to try and get off of it completely, and I will do my best to provide updates of my progress. If you're considering dabbling with Tianeptine, please proceed with extreme caution. Don't take any more than the recommended daily amount, the withdrawal is a nasty one. Also, please feel free to ask me anything about Tianeptine and I will do my best to provide an answer. As always, my friends; have fun, but please be safe!

I'm really curious about it as a substance. It has a lot of therapeutic uses, it seems. Though, I'd be lying if I didn't say that my initial attraction to it was based on its recreational opiate activity.

There was a thread a while ago about a dude binging Tianeptine and then going through terrible withdrawal that even heroin couldn't fully cure. I can see why, with it being an antidepressant and an opiate at high doses.

In a perfect world, I feel like this could be a great medicine. I don't feel like it will ever be used in the USA. Based on anecdotal evidence, this drug seems superior(if used appropriately) than what our FDA and its good old boy club stuff down our throat: SSRIs, SNRIs and benzos. I'm a drug addict, though. Take this with a grain of salt.

I'm on methadone, currently at 60mg and I do not intend going any higher as to not repeat my last MMT fiasco. I'm really interest in Tianeptine's antidepressant effects, but I probably shouldn't.

Sounds like a more potent version of tramadol. I've almost ordered it once before but ended up getting a kilo of kratom instead. Anyone know how much this raises your opiate tolerance?

I just ordered some of this shit today. I'll be cautious but I will make my own experience report soon enough!

This shit did nothing for me but give me hot/cold flashes and electric jolt feelings in my head. Never went higher than 100mg in a day, but got horrid effects that didn't even remotely feel like an opioid so YMMV.

Defo an opioid at higher doses. 300mg iv was able to sustain my need for heroin for a few hours. Pure powder is probably unhealthy to IV as it creates a very sticky solution you need to dilute. Not recommended however as therapeutic drug I'd say it'd be brilliant!!

Thanks for the replies, everybody. I'll provide a brief update.

I got another 5g tub two nights ago and figured 'shit, might as well try a rec dose, last time.' It felt very nice, as expected. In the next two days (yesterday and today) I've been trying to limit myself to 50-60mg per day in 3 separate doses. It doesn't get you "high" but it's a very nice mood booster. I'm gonna try and slowly take less and less, because now that I'm using it as an antidepressant more than an opioid, it's recreational value is all but gone and I don't want to chase the Tianeptine high and end up in shitty w/d land. I'll titrate off slowly and hopefully be done with the stuff after.

Sure, it would be nice to be on a "nootropic" regimen of this stuff, but fact is nobody knows exactly how different people will respond to the stuff, and the idea of being on an antidepressant (on top of a slew of meds that I already take) doesn't vibe well with me. I may be anxious as all hell, but I haven't gone through a depressive phase in quite a while and would very much like to keep it that way.