• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

The Travel Thread - I am lovely and respectful to all in my path PLUR <3 xxxxx

Got an email from my old man today, he's back in Pattaya. There's only one reason anyone would go back there, sex tourism. :|

I've been giving this a lot of thought recently and as I'll be finishing Uni soon the time for me to hit the road and see the world is coming up fast. Realistically I'll only get the one chance to go away for a long stint so don't want to do things by halves and so I'm hoping to be away for anything up to a year...

I think the rough plan is to get a one-way ticket to bangcock and mooch about SE Asia for a couple of months (Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos), then to India for a couple of months, South Africa for maybe a month and then finish up in South America where I'll hopefully spend most of my time (around 5-6months)...

That's hopefully what I'll be doing but I'm deliberately not booking a round the world ticket and just getting a one-way to Thailand so I can keep things flexible. I'll be traveling solo for the most part and want to be able to do exactly what I want, when I want for however long I want...

Does that sound a tad bit ambitious for someone who hasn't been on holiday for longer then 2 weeks? I'm estimating that this little trip may cost in the region of ten grand all in, but that will include travel gear, flights, visas and special excursions etc... Does £10,000 sound about right or could it be done for cheaper?

Hopefully some of you with a bit more traveling experience under your belts can chime in and offer up some advice?

Thanks

Last edited:
Bugger me. what an opening post. Here's hoping she don't read Bluelight:eek:

Sam, 10K will get you a long way, could even work here and there for a float. Go for it, but maybe try not to have a too regimented list of shit to check off is all I would say.

I think you'll be safe Jude, Dwarf's fingers are usually to stubby to type efficiently...

Glad to hear that 10K will be ample - just need to find the 10K now :(

I definitely hear you when you say not to have a strict itinerary. I'm pretty rubbish at staying organized and keeping to a regimented plan anyway, the more flexible and relaxed the better.

There are just a few places I want to see and a couple of things that I definitely want to do, as long as they get done I'll be more then happy to bumble around the world at my own leisurely pace and see where it takes me...

Go for it sam, £10k is loads of money. SHM did a RTW trip recently might be an idea to ask him how much he spent, but he's tight as fuck by his own admission and doesn't drink or party much so you might need a bit more than he did. :D

By not booking a RTW ticket though you'll be more than likely making things much more expensive for yourself though, I think SHM said he managed to get a RTW ticket for £1700, which is quite a bargain considering everywhere he went. If you try and book single tickets it's gonna add up to much more.

If you definitely don't want to do the RTW ticket route then I'd suggest maybe just doing one or the other Asia or South America. You can take a one way ticket to Thailand, spend a few months travelling around SE Asia without any real need for flights, maybe even head to Aus at some point if it interests you (cheap flights with AirAsia & Jetstar) and get a cheap flight to India too.

Does that sound a tad bit ambitious for someone who hasn't been on holiday for longer then 2 weeks?

Nah mate just do it. It's easy. Best thing you'll ever do. :)

By not booking a RTW ticket though you'll be more than likely making things much more expensive for yourself though, I think SHM said he managed to get a RTW ticket for £1700, which is quite a bargain considering everywhere he went. If you try and book single tickets it's gonna add up to much more.

To be honest, the only reason I'm against the idea of booking a RTW ticket with a few stops is I dont like the idea of having to leave one place at a predetermined date. If I'm having a blast I would want to stay in the region for longer, but if its not too my taste I can get the fuck outta there at a drop of a hat.

Also, as I'll be traveling solo I may meet a sound bunch of people and could change my plans and join them for a bit. I think a massive bonus not having a RTW ticket is the flexibility it will give me. But I havn't really looked into the pricing of each option, or how easy it would be to re-schedule any major flights so I'm not dead against the idea of a RTW ticket, just the possible regimented traveling it may result in.

If you definitely don't want to do the RTW ticket route then I'd suggest maybe just doing one or the other Asia or South America. You can take a one way ticket to Thailand, spend a few months travelling around SE Asia without any real need for flights, maybe even head to Aus at some point if it interests you (cheap flights with AirAsia & Jetstar) and get a cheap flight to India too.

South America was the main place I wanted to go to, but thought it would be a good idea to go to SE Asia to kinda ease me into it. Plus the more I thought about it, more I read about the place the more I realised it would be a pretty fucking cool place to visit in its own right, not just a place to get me into the traveling spirit. As I'll only get the chance to do a massive trip once doing both SE Asia and South America is on the cards.

One thing I could see myself giving a miss, if it would cost too much, is South Africa. The main reason I want to go there is to go cage diving with Great White Sharks. But that could be done on a 2 week holiday a few years in the future if needs be.

Nah mate just do it. It's easy. Best thing you'll ever do. :)

Definitely gonna happen, just gonna take me a little while to get the money together. Finish my course in the next 6 months or so and then work for the next 6 - 12 months, saving all the way, and then I'm off =D

As I'll only get the chance to do a massive trip once doing both SE Asia and South America is on the cards.

Why is it the only chance to do a massive trip? You gonna die as soon as it's over. :p

To be honest, the only reason I'm against the idea of booking a RTW ticket with a few stops is I dont like the idea of having to leave one place at a predetermined date

You can usually change your flights for a small fee. I think the cost difference between booking a RTW ticket before hand and booking things as you go while you're on the road will be so huge (I reckon thousands of pounds more expensive) that you'd need to have the RTW ticket in place. Unless money was no object of course...

South America was the main place I wanted to go to, but thought it would be a good idea to go to SE Asia to kinda ease me into it. Plus the more I thought about it, more I read about the place the more I realised it would be a pretty fucking cool place to visit in its own right, not just a place to get me into the traveling spirit.

Well it is pretty easy and straight foward to travel in SE Asia and it's a fucking riot too. I love the region, I can't wait to get back. South America would be amazing too and I'll definitely be wanting to visit there in the new few years.

Finish my course in the next 6 months or so and then work for the next 6 - 12 months, saving all the way, and then I'm off

So many people say that and then never get round to saving. Book a flight now to give yourself a date to aim for and then you'll be forced to save and it'll all seem a bit more real. Otherwise it might just be a dream you end up having for the rest of your life. Plus if you book it now it'll be dirt cheap for a one way to Bangkok.

Why is it the only chance to do a massive trip? You gonna die as soon as it's over. :p

Gotta get my career off the ground and doubt employers would like me taking 3 month holidays all the time. I know working is a foreign concept to you Spade so can understand why you couldn't grasp the idea of one massive trip in the foreseable future :p
Although I'll hopefully be working for a few years in Vancouver (or abroad at the very least) when I get back so its not all bad :D

You can usually change your flights for a small fee. I think the cost difference between booking a RTW ticket before hand and booking things as you go while you're on the road will be so huge (I reckon thousands of pounds more expensive) that you'd need to have the RTW ticket in place. Unless money was no object of course...

Thats good to hear, money is definitely an object but didn't realise there would be such a big price difference. Will look into round the world tickets and single tickets to get a better idea of pricing but if you are right and the difference runs into thousands then its a no brainer.

Well it is pretty easy and straight foward to travel in SE Asia and it's a fucking riot too. I love the region, I can't wait to get back. South America would be amazing too and I'll definitely be wanting to visit there in the new few years.

Thats why I wanna start off in SE Asia and then end up in South America. Start off in the place thats fairly straight forward and easy going and then once I've got my traveling shoes firmly on head out to the great unknown.

So many people say that and then never get round to saving. Book a flight now to give yourself a date to aim for and then you'll be forced to save and it'll all seem a bit more real. Otherwise it might just be a dream you end up having for the rest of your life. Plus if you book it now it'll be dirt cheap for a one way to Bangkok.

Already started saving and I would probably shoot myself if I got to 40 and hadn't seen a bit of the world, this definitely isn't a pipe dream. As to booking a ticket I will more then likely do that as soon as I finish my course, as soon as I know how long I'll be working for my current manager. When I finish she'll hopefully be taking me on to work for a while so I can save up some cash, but as it stands I dont know if it'll be for 6 or 12 months. As soon as I know I'll be booking the ticket. Whether that'll be a one-way or RTW is still up in the air. Gotta do some research into pricing and thought this would be a decent first place to start

I know working is a foreign concept to you Spade so can understand why you couldn't grasp the idea of one massive trip in the foreseable future

My arse it is, how do you think I afford to go away travelling......by working. I do hate it though which is why I plan to do it for as little as possible and spend more time cutting about in foreign countries having a laugh. :)

Fuck careers. :p

just relocate to ireland while your saving up and take advantage of the £740 dole money, you'll be back banging crusty knickered hookers before you know it

Aye the bank helped but I worked and saved just as much as I borrowed from them. :p