TDS The TDS grief/bereavement thread

Last Wednesday, one week ago from today, my girlfriend left this world. We had a fair bit of distance between us so our visits involved a two hour train ride (including one or two transfers). The Wednesday before a major holiday so train travel was backed up and delayed a bit. I was standing on the platform during the second transfer, trying to calm down from my train travel anxiety. She had just gotten done at work at 7pm (she was a track & field coach for 8-10 year olds) and texted me and asked me how I was. I told her I was having a tough time and she asked if I wanted her to call me to help me calm down a bit. I said no, that it would be over soon and that I saw the train approaching the station. She then told me she was at her bike and would head home to shower before she would pick me up at the station at 8.16pm. The last message she ever sent was at 7.05pm saying "I love you." I got on the train and replied at 7.07pm. The next hour went by and I didnt hear from her. I texted her saying that I would see her soon at 7.53pm and again at 8.08pm asking her if everything was okay. I arrived at the station, no sign of her and no answer to my phone calls. I saw her father there, looking for me and asked if he had heard anything from her. No one had heard from her. Her father quickly called her mother and asked her to drive by the stadium to see if she was there while we drove straight to the emergency room.

We arrived there and asked if they had brought in a girl with her traits. They said a dead young woman had been brought in, completely matching all of her traits. Her mother and sister arrived and we all hoped there had been some mistake. Everyone panicking, they took us to a back room. After some time of waiting the police arrived and brought us my girlfriends bag with her stuff inside. It was confirmed. They told us the call had been made at 7.09pm, ambulance arrived in 5 minutes and attempted CPR but nothing worked. She was dead 4 minutes after she sent me her last message, literally right at the corner of her home. She had a rare arrhythmia disorder in which a high BPM causes ventricular arrhythmia/tachycardia and in the worst cases, sudden cardiac arrest and death. Her route home had a rough uphill which is the most likely cause of this horrible event.

I had come here to spend the holiday weekend with her and her family and now we have been in mourning for the past week. This is not how it was supposed to go. Wednesday night through Friday, the whole series of events kept flashing in my mind and I couldnt get the officers voice out of my head. Thursday we were allowed to go see her in the morgue and every moment since then, all I can see is her lying there. We have had someone here with us all of the time since then. Wednesday through Friday felt like an eternity. Time didnt seem to move but it felt like weeks had gone by. Sleeping and eating have been difficult. We have also gone on walks to have some sort of physical activity and every single time we come back home I expect to see her lying on her bed, doing something on her phone and waiting for me to come back.

I have no idea what is going on anymore and I have no idea how I am going to be able to continue my life without her.

If anyone has any advice or would like to ask something, Id prefer that via PM.

Last edited:
R.I.P. To my friend P.A. remembering the fun times from runnin in Paris 18, partying with some well shady brers.... to barbakues in the subburbs sipping brews with more friends....

You'll be missed. ..

Thoughts go to your family P.A.

I reminisce.

Sorry for the loss of your friend, phatass. Remembering and reminiscing fills the mysterious ether out there with love. I'm convinced that if nothing else it makes the transition lovelier.

Lord help me...I've been trying to post this for an hour. I thought I'd figured "posting" out, but I was WRONG!

Last edited:
So sorry for your loss. I lost my son also this past February. It's definitely been the most horrible experience of my life. Just wanted to reach out to you I guess cause I know how you feel. Lots of hugs <3

Last Wednesday, one week ago from today, my girlfriend left this world. We had a fair bit of distance between us so our visits involved a two hour train ride (including one or two transfers). The Wednesday before a major holiday so train travel was backed up and delayed a bit. I was standing on the platform during the second transfer, trying to calm down from my train travel anxiety. She had just gotten done at work at 7pm (she was a track & field coach for 8-10 year olds) and texted me and asked me how I was. I told her I was having a tough time and she asked if I wanted her to call me to help me calm down a bit. I said no, that it would be over soon and that I saw the train approaching the station. She then told me she was at her bike and would head home to shower before she would pick me up at the station at 8.16pm. The last message she ever sent was at 7.05pm saying "I love you." I got on the train and replied at 7.07pm. The next hour went by and I didnt hear from her. I texted her saying that I would see her soon at 7.53pm and again at 8.08pm asking her if everything was okay. I arrived at the station, no sign of her and no answer to my phone calls. I saw her father there, looking for me and asked if he had heard anything from her. No one had heard from her. Her father quickly called her mother and asked her to drive by the stadium to see if she was there while we drove straight to the emergency room.

We arrived there and asked if they had brought in a girl with her traits. They said a dead young woman had been brought in, completely matching all of her traits. Her mother and sister arrived and we all hoped there had been some mistake. Everyone panicking, they took us to a back room. After some time of waiting the police arrived and brought us my girlfriends bag with her stuff inside. It was confirmed. They told us the call had been made at 7.09pm, ambulance arrived in 5 minutes and attempted CPR but nothing worked. She was dead 4 minutes after she sent me her last message, literally right at the corner of her home. She had a rare arrhythmia disorder in which a high BPM causes ventricular arrhythmia/tachycardia and in the worst cases, sudden cardiac arrest and death. Her route home had a rough uphill which is the most likely cause of this horrible event.

I had come here to spend the holiday weekend with her and her family and now we have been in mourning for the past week. This is not how it was supposed to go. Wednesday night through Friday, the whole series of events kept flashing in my mind and I couldnt get the officers voice out of my head. Thursday we were allowed to go see her in the morgue and every moment since then, all I can see is her lying there. We have had someone here with us all of the time since then. Wednesday through Friday felt like an eternity. Time didnt seem to move but it felt like weeks had gone by. Sleeping and eating have been difficult. We have also gone on walks to have some sort of physical activity and every single time we come back home I expect to see her lying on her bed, doing something on her phone and waiting for me to come back.

I have no idea what is going on anymore and I have no idea how I am going to be able to continue my life without her.

If anyone has any advice or would like to ask something, Id prefer that via PM.
I feel for you man. I'm so sorry for your tragic loss.

For those of you who don't frequent EADD, a very sad time is upon us (again) ...

foolsgold has passed away. (thread here) I know he has posted here on occasion so thought you folks might like to know.

He had more than his fair share of problems yet he was always a gentleman at heart. Such a nice guy. He will be sorely missed.

RIP FG <3:(

Oh, no! He posted so many times that he was giving up and yet he never did. He really had a rough time in his life and this makes me so sad.

For those of you who don't frequent EADD, a very sad time is upon us (again) ...

foolsgold has passed away. (thread here) I know he has posted here on occasion so thought you folks might like to know.

He had more than his fair share of problems yet he was always a gentleman at heart. Such a nice guy. He will be sorely missed.

RIP FG <3:(

Oh no :( I've read a lot of his posts and he seemed like a really nice and intelligent person, who was going through more than most of us ever will, hope he's in a better place now.

Last edited:
Thank you for these resources. I have just lost my wife (3 years clean, and yet the years of drug abuse caught up with her at 45. Here one day, then her heart stopped in her sleep) :( I am clean at the moment, fighting a (winning) battle to stay that way. Regular grief groups tend to not understand the unique problems we go through when we're tried emotionally (knowing there's something out there that could take the pain away, but might get me strung out or dead) 12 step meeting are OK, but they aren't specifically for berievement. I know a lot of y'all understand though, and I take comfort in that. TY TDS. rt (J)

Last edited:
My sister was murdered by her abuser in Nov 2005 and my mom died from ovarian cancer ( and grief, honestly) 10 months later.

It's been a decade and I miss them both dearly. The pain is less acute than it used to be but time doesn't heal all wounds ( despise that saying) but you learn to live with your losses because you don't have a lot of choice. Hugs to you all!

^I'm with you on your feelings for the saying that "time heals all wounds". I could add some that make my blood boil even more like "everything happens for a reason", God never gives us more than we can bear", "god needed another angel in heaven" and absolutely anything that has the word "closure" in it.

That is a lot of grief to live with.

I can honestly say that the only thing that has brought me comfort is the philosophy of Buddhism. Learning to unclothe the thoughts from my pure emotions has made it possible to again embrace happiness while living with deep sadness.

The Way Out For Him = Up

My ex boyfriend died from a heroin overdose today. He told family he was going to an NA meeting and never came home.

He was an ex for many reasons but at this point in time, sorrow has no discernment.

Oh, babygyrl, I am so sorry. You and his friends and family must be devastated. :(

Maybe when you are feeling more up to it, you could post something about him. I found that after my son died, I had a need to describe him, over and over and over into the void. Life lets go of a person--the whole sparkling chaotic universe of a person--as easily as a tree lets go of a leaf. For those that loved that "sparkling, chaotic universe" the fabric of their own lives is torn. Honoring a beloved person through writing is a way of healing. I hope that you will feel free to talk about both your own ongoing feelings as well as the whole person your ex boyfriend was.<3

Last edited:
Long time member but been silent as if late

I've mentioned my loss here and there...
But. I have some pretty serious issues ATM.

Full story(I geuss)...

I'm a hardcore drug addict who is very self educated. I know so much about drugs, the meetings I go to they laugh and say " oh my... Are you a pharmacist?!"

My big weaknesses are opiates and benzos. I'm a huge pot head and hate alcohol but seem to always go back to drinking.

I had the dream of that beautiful girl, who I secretly dreamed of, a lot, and one day she finally came out to me among all these guys I thought would get her... And she wanted me.

Sara was her name. I feel like I should say her name.

We were the typical dream of many males and even females. I'm obviously male. She was sooo beautiful and sooo smart and funny, loving , caring etc. Even had the smartest kid I've ever had met. I even use the nickname he called me lol, he called me a mispoked version of my name.

This girl was a dream.

We split up tho.... I was the idiot who did it too

Sara loved me. I just screwed up.

That's where my opiate preferred drug mess came to full blast crazy.

She got a new bf and I just wanted her back. I knew he was no good. I sold him drugs and had him in my house a lot.

I gave up on Sara and got s different girl.

A few months into my relationship with the new gf I got a call one day driving back to Flint.

She was balling, it was Sara. She called to tell me she had been raped by her bf and very very disturbingly...
The poor girl found out she had a tumor and colo-rectal cancer this worthless being raped her , yeah in that spot too...

She was living in a motel in a very bad place to get away from him.

I rushed over w my new gf to help her.

The once beautiful, curvy girl was now skin and bones. We cried when I ran up to her and tried to hug her... ?

I told her: "you're coming with us and living w me. You and your son."

I unfortunately developed a huge opiate issue.... Prior. She thought she was helping and would give me her Ms -Contin 100's. She never could have known I'd start shooting them

Time passed, I became worthless
Addicted and bad. I've never been so addicted and I'm a seasoned heroin addict ...

I saw her go into her last stages. O eventually was to the point where she was hardly out of the hospital enough to provide me with the morphine.

I decided to take it on my own and wd cold turkey around my birthday.
I went through a month of outrageous hell. Unbelievable hellish wd.

I towards the end one day, got some benzos and decided I would text her.

She was in a huge hospital by me.
I went to visit.

She was in bad shape. Real bad. She needed food and they gave her garabage so we'd sneak in cannabis candy and meals for her

That lady day I said... I'd give you a hug ... But idk if all that IV stuff makes it hard and she kinda cringed n said "yea"

I left. Crossing paths with her son and mother as I left, rallys bag in hand with her favorite. Lol

Unfortunately it was at the same time I heard my good friend was homeless and badly heroin addicted.

My gf at that time, and I took him in.
One day. And this fucker calls me. Wakes me up.

"Dude I almost just stole this TV. I swear to god I'll get it back if you'll ride with me to pawn it. I'm so sorry dude"

It was Sara's TV. A huge one .

I agreed with the knowledge he knew I'd take action if he didn't follow up on it

He got his n even offered me some and I turned it down. Palms sweating and alll. Even ,30+ days clean.

That next day...

Her 11 year old son calls me.

"I just got done holding my moms hand. She died today".

I flipped out. I called that guy and said yur getting her TV right now and I want some dope.

He immediately showed up, right as a friend of Sara showed up to give me her morphine and was told to give it to me.

That girl knew she was on her end and went without just to help me...

I couldn't even goto her funeral I thought because I was sooooo mad at her ex bf for hurting her.... I thought I'd goto prison for murder ....

I miss her everyday...

No one seems to get it fully but they are just like ..omg man.. Umm idk...

I'd give anything to have changed all that.

I'd give anything to give that kid his mom back.

I geuss I just hope that I can see thru this , as I'm sure Sara would of wanted, and just live a happy life.

But I can't. I went to a family against narcotics meeting today and even tho I'm the stand out... I couldn't help but get caught up realizing what I've done.

I miss her sooo much. It goes without saying I wish badly to join her. I even came close once... Breaking my hip and overdosed... Hard

I just am at my end and can hardly think straight any more. On top of getting pinched in a rural area w my own damn suboxone script and now have a felony the prosecution won't drop.

It's so hard not to give in ATM

You people are so strong that make it thru this.

I love you Sara.... And I hope I can stop myself from relapse. And beyond.

God bless you all who've lost a dear loved one. I feel your pain.

Thank you for reading my post.

Edit: I'm so sry if I posted in the wrong place or inappropriate, etc. PLZ help. Thank you.

Slum, that story is heartbreaking. All I can offer is my empathy for your pain and one suggestion that maybe could help motivate you to heal: stay in touch with her son. It helps kids so much to have someone that wants to talk about the parent they loved. A lot of adults will try to never bring the person up at all--being afraid to cause more pain and suffering for the child. But, children are no different than adults when it comes to loss and grief--it helps to remember, to tell stories and to grieve with someone else that gets it. That little guy is probably hurting so much and my sense is that you could be a very positive influence in his life just by letting him know that you miss his mom, too. She sounds like an incredible person and I am truly sorry for your loss.<3

Thank you herbavore.

You know ... Ive wrestled with that idea many times.

I noticed tho... He made a new Facebook page and hasn't tried to reach out ...

Idk if his dad's family (he has an excellent grandma and I think his dad does care but he's busy 24/7) told him to do that, or a professional or his choice. So I kinda leave him be.

I can't believe he's gonna be old enough to drive soon. I remember when I got yelled at by his mom for letting him ride in the front seat of my car lol.

But yea we even touched on that subject slightly at the meeting and in rehab I went to this past August, to get off benzos and all plus look good for the court

I suppose we all have tough times.

Thank you again herbavore and any who even just simply read.

Slum Survivor - kudos on getting clean and working so hard to put your life back in order. Your story it guy wrenching - watching somebody you love slowly die from cancer has to be one of the hardest things to live through, I admire your strength. Sara sounds like a truly remarkable woman, and she loved you to the end. You have my deepest condolences. Please continue to cherish her memories and I agree with Herbavore, one day when you feel it's appropriate perhaps write down some of the memories you have of Sara and them with her son...he will want to hear them. Big hugs and best wishes!

Perhaps I'll get up the strength to post more details another time.

But for now....

I lost someone I used to date. To suicide. It's a long and kind of strange and unusual story, which makes it hard to share and for some people, they might not understand why my grief is so huge given that we hadn't been in contact for a long time.

But I realize they were the person I should have made a life with.

For reasons I may get into later that didn't happen. No, no cheating, no violence, nothing like that. We were teenagers and a move by my family to the other coast also got in the way, and other factors.

But hindsight is 20/20 and really, he should've been the one I gave it a go with.

And I could have. Ugh. It's such a bizarre story, so many almosts.

Anyway, he's dead now. I found pout because I began thinking of him literally non-stop, until I looked him up and....

Oh my God .

The pain and grief I feel is bottomless.

I loved his smile so very dearly.

I loved him, too. And I still do.

I was three months too late.

Three months

My sweet C, I miss you and love you. I'm so sorry.

Thank you for letting me speak my grief.

Thank you for this thread.

To everyone here morning, I'm so sorry for your pain and loss. Sending lots of love and empathy your way

C, thank you for all of the signs you so undeniably send me. Thank you for your presence. I know, and I know you know that I know. I hope that makes you glad.

C, there's a huge hole in my heart no one else will fill. I will try my best to honor you. To love big. To give. To care.

But, C, words cannot do even a little justice to how much I just want to lie in your arms. Hear your heart beat. Feel your hands and arms around me.

I love you.

Peace.