Positive The Tapering Supportive/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for nice replies on thread..

By the way, I know I'm an addict and have accepted that since I was about 14 years old...
I've had addictive personality for most of my life..
I've battled it off and on for most of my life...
Obsession of the mind....

I have come to know Gods Spiritual Power can heal and alleviate suffering....
*But i also know i dont understand it too much...

Thank you Pumpkin,
I’m aware that it causes nasty withdrawals cuz I went thru them . I haven’t taken lyrica in 9 months tho . I’m currently living in a sober living so I can’t really take anything else for sleep . I barley slept the past two weeks . The first week not at all and the second for maybe an hour or two a night . The past 3 days of taking lyrica I’ve been able to get like 5 hours a night . My real question is will it cause rebound anxiety or extend my benzo withdrawal by taking a gram a day for let’s say a week and then discontinue
I'm thinking if you take it for JUST one week ( even at gram doses ) you MIGHT be okay. I fully understand you need it to sleep. That is exactly why i took it but I took it for two long at too high of a dose and had yucky WD's.

Hang in there. You are going to miss the Lyrica when it is gone no question, Just really only use it for one week.

Can you use kratom? Ever heard of it? It is a partial agonist at the MU receptor but in low doses it is very benign and a little safer than anything else i know of that can be taken if one is in sober living or doing UA's for probation or something like that. I mean sober living frowns on it of course but in a pinch it can work wonders.

I have tried Kratom in the past . It really did not do anything for me . Plus I’m pretty sure even in low doses it will extend your opiate WD. For some reason Eventho I’m in pretty good shape I heal really slowly . It’s not even about age cuz even when 20 years old I had the same problem , I am 35 now . I’m pretty sure I’m done this time . I don’t believe in abstinence so I do drink . I really hope my sober living doesn’t do etg test or I’m fucked . I’m currently in NY but I go back to FL tomorrow night . I think I should be fine with the lyrica but the addict in me is saying you can’t get anything good without any repercussions . Maybe I’ll try to take today off and if I’m having issues with sleep at night I’ll just take a few hundred milligrams then.
thanks again for your replies .

Thank you for nice replies on thread..

By the way, I know I'm an addict and have accepted that since I was about 14 years old...
I've had addictive personality for most of my life..
I've battled it off and on for most of my life...
Obsession of the mind....

I have come to know Gods Spiritual Power can heal and alleviate suffering....
*But i also know i dont understand it too much...
Right on, man. We are only human and want to alleviate our mental, physical and spiritual pain. It works for a long time, and then it doesn't. Everyone of us just wants peace of mind and a halfway decent life. When we don't have that we think drugs are the answer. And they can be if one can use them as directed or with moderation. Some of us don't have that capability and are torpedos be damned, full speed ahead. Then we sink, and if we are lucky we can claw our way back up to the surface. Stay strong man. We are all in the same boat in the same ocean. Some of us are piloting the ship and some of us are in the water trying to catch up.

Hey BL, I am back in the wagon again and have 16 days clean from benzos and opiates . I picked up a Lyrica script tho the other day and have been taking a gram a day roughly until i run out . I currently live in a different state then my doctor so I won’t be refilling it anytime soon. You guys think that’s ok or will it set me back?
I can't comment on the lyrica being good or bad, but hats off to you for getting to sixteen days, well done. We all know how long every single one of those sixteen days will have been for you. 💕

I can't comment on the lyrica being good or bad, but hats off to you for getting to sixteen days, well done. We all know how long every single one of those sixteen days will have been for you. 💕
Thank you ,
Oh the days have been so long . I was clean for like 5 months 3 being in rehab and then went on a 2 month run with xanax and fentanyl . 2 months or 2 years for me is the same shit I’ve been just as sick as a 5 year run . I had to go to a state funded detox in FL cuz I’m not from there and have no insurance . They do a up taper on the subs cuz they expect you to stay on sub maintenance so they released me on 8mg of suboxone. From there I went straight to a sober living where you cannot take sub so I really had a brutal 2 weeks . You guys know how it is the days are long and the nights are even longer . Now I can say I’m glad I did that but I was fine with the idea of maintenance just none of my friends or family were 🤷‍♂️. I appreciate the kind words and I will fight really hard this time to keep my sobriety .

Hey BL, I am back in the wagon again and have 16 days clean from benzos and opiates . I picked up a Lyrica script tho the other day and have been taking a gram a day roughly until i run out . I currently live in a different state then my doctor so I won’t be refilling it anytime soon. You guys think that’s ok or will it set me back?
Congratulations Totach. Two weeks of sobriety is commendable. You should be past the worst of the physical withdrawal pains now.
It’s a slippery slope. If you are able to use Lyrica to get past the wd’s and quit then it’s a great plan. If you are going to be dependent on a gram per day of Lyrica (that’s nothing to laugh at), then you’re just as screwed as you were 17 days ago. Lyrica wd’s were enough to make me want to die, and certainly enough to push me back to benzos and opiates.
And be careful also.... a whole lot of people who buy their drugs on the street started as “patients”. Just because you don’t have a Dr anymore doesn’t mean you have no access to drugs.

Try to focus on the really hard work you put into getting clean. All of the insomnia, vomiting, etc.... It’s really been helping me to focus on how shitty it was and I keep telling myself that if I ever go back then I’ll have to do it all over again. Imagine going back through rehab just because it sounded good to start using again. No thanks.

Last edited:
For the record, I love Lyrica. I realized at the beginning though that if you start with 300 mg on Monday (recreationally), you will need 1000 mg by Friday to get the same effect. Tolerance builds unbelievably fast. If I use it once per week, there’s no issue. Daily use seems like a mistake to me.

There’s a whole issue with Lyrica that not many people talk about. That crap puts you into a coma (practically). Its like slamming down 10 tequila shots, then you sleep like a dead body. It’s a huge problem in prison because there’s nothing to do and the time drags on forever, so checking out for 8-12 hours sounds like heaven.

Just like alcohol, it’s great for ignoring life completely for a little while. Problem starts tomorrow, when life still sucks. Pretty quickly you become dependent on the ‘quiet’ and it sounds so nice to check out. Then you lose your coping skills and Lyrica becomes your only means of dealing with life. Then your tolerance skyrockets almost overnight. Now you can’t get more and you want to quit but you’re addicted. All of this happens in a couple of weeks. And LYRICA WD’S SUCK!!!!! Not life threatening but you will wish you were dead.

Opiates hook you because the first one made life more relaxed and enjoyable, almost like life is “enhanced”. We chase that memory. Lyrica hooks you because the first one made you not see real life anymore. It helps you check out for a while. We keep upping the dose trying to get that feeling back because life sucks and it’s not getting better anytime soon.

Last edited:
This piece of wisdom is probably the single most important thing I discovered when getting off methadone. So very true.

Small, consistent steps are so much more successful and manageable than trying to do it all at once. It is the single best strategy when it comes to freeing ones self from the clutches of dependency.
This piece of wisdom is probably the single most important thing I discovered when getting off methadone. So very true.

Small, consistent steps are so much more successful and manageable than trying to do it all at once. It is the single best strategy when it comes to freeing ones self from the clutches of dependency.
Thank you❤ for posting your Inspiring Determination Of Tapering to Succeed! Appreciate sharing your strategy, whereby you took Control, and Put Forth Your Best Effort to Win-"Freedom" from the "clutches Of dependency!"

Thank you❤ for posting your Inspiring Determination Of Tapering to Succeed! Appreciate sharing your strategy, whereby you took Control, and Put Forth Your Best Effort to Win-"Freedom" from the "clutches Of dependency!"
It’s absolutely true. When I was trying to quit, I gave up so many times. Mostly it just seemed like a giant mountain that I could never climb, so why even try. And if I’m not going all the way then I’ll be suffering for nothing, so let’s take some more pills and chill out. I wasn’t free until I started closing those doors and locking them behind me.

How do you eat an Elephant? One bite at a time.

Congratulations Totach. Two weeks of sobriety is commendable. You should be past the worst of the physical withdrawal pains now.
It’s a slippery slope. If you are able to use Lyrica to get past the wd’s and quit then it’s a great plan. If you are going to be dependent on a gram per day of Lyrica (that’s nothing to laugh at), then you’re just as screwed as you were 17 days ago. Lyrica wd’s were enough to make me want to die, and certainly enough to push me back to benzos and opiates.
And be careful also.... a whole lot of people who buy their drugs on the street started as “patients”. Just because you don’t have a Dr anymore doesn’t mean you have no access to drugs.

Try to focus on the really hard work you put into getting clean. All of the insomnia, vomiting, etc.... It’s really been helping me to focus on how shitty it was and I keep telling myself that if I ever go back then I’ll have to do it all over again. Imagine going back through rehab just because it sounded good to start using again. No thanks.
Thank you Squeky,
I’m living in a sober living in Florida so I was completely clean for two weeks until my picked up my lyrica script . My doctor is in NY so I won’t have a chance to refill it for a while . I haven’t taken any in 9 months tho . I’m well aware of the withdrawal but not specifically to lyrica because when I was taking a lot of it I had to come off heroin benzos and methadone aswell. I never came off lyrica just by it’s self . So I picked up my script last Friday and I have about 15 left . Before I picked up my script I barley slept for two weeks from being sick . The lyrica really helps me get like 5 hours a night that’s why I take it . I don’t feel much of a buzz from it besides maybe becoming alittle hyper . I appreciate the warning .

Thank you Squeky,
I’m living in a sober living in Florida so I was completely clean for two weeks until my picked up my lyrica script . My doctor is in NY so I won’t have a chance to refill it for a while . I haven’t taken any in 9 months tho . I’m well aware of the withdrawal but not specifically to lyrica because when I was taking a lot of it I had to come off heroin benzos and methadone aswell. I never came off lyrica just by it’s self . So I picked up my script last Friday and I have about 15 left . Before I picked up my script I barley slept for two weeks from being sick . The lyrica really helps me get like 5 hours a night that’s why I take it . I don’t feel much of a buzz from it besides maybe becoming alittle hyper . I appreciate the warning .
I did the same. I was prescribed Lyrica but I didn’t use it. I still have about 50 grams left.

When I started running out of oxy every month I was desperately trying to sleep and Lyrica worked awesome. One month I ran out of oxy about 10 days too early and that was enough to give me wd’s from that week and a half of Lyrica use. It took me a couple of months to taper off about 600mg daily use even though it had only been 10 days of daily use.

Ironically, opiates and Lyrica each work pretty good for relieving wd’s from eachother. Withdrawing from either one is bad but Lyrica is a major mindfuck (sort of like benzo wd). If you’re still dealing with the depression from opiate wd...... and you sprinkle in some confusion and stress from Lyrica wd.... it’s not pleasant.
I can pass you my ‘Lyrica taper schedule for short term use’. Having a few pills left is plenty for a quick taper. Just don’t run out after a week or two at the dose you’re taking or you’ll want your xanax and fentanyl back just so you won’t commit suicide.

I’m past the 90 day mark. It’s really obvious now why good rehab programs are 90 days inpatient. I was in a lot of pain yesterday for a couple of hours and I would normally go straight for my pills (or kicking myself for running out). I chose not to focus on it, I took some Kratom and it passed a couple of hours later. It feels pretty good to see progress. Too bad it takes 3 months to get here.

I’m past the 90 day mark. It’s really obvious now why good rehab programs are 90 days inpatient. I was in a lot of pain yesterday for a couple of hours and I would normally go straight for my pills (or kicking myself for running out). I chose not to focus on it, I took some Kratom and it passed a couple of hours later. It feels pretty good to see progress. Too bad it takes 3 months to get here.
Congrats on 90 my friend, really happy for you!! You rock, here for you anytime.

Take care,
Ash.

That would be almost impossible for me....do you have someone you trust who can hold on to the tablets for you and help you taper down?

Not without admitting to my 18 year old son that the new sleeping pills I'm on after stopping zopiclone are benzos when he thinks I'm off them lol

Not without admitting to my 18 year old son that the new sleeping pills I'm on after stopping zopiclone are benzos when he thinks I'm off them lol
You can always play dumb. Tell him you didn’t know it is a benzo and the whole reason you’re coming to him for help is that you just today found that out. Put a spin on it like you have been serious about tapering off them, you heard from a coworker that it is a benzo so you looked it up, and you’re keeping everything honest and up front so that’s why you’re coming to him for help: to keep you honest.

If you’re short on pills you can say you were scared/angry when you found out and you tried to throw them out. The ones in the bottle are the ones you saved from the dumpster. Even if he knows you’re lying it might just be that he won’t care because you came to him for help.

Every day I waited to ask for help was one day closer to running out and all of the horrible things that come with that. And even though it starts with anger.... anyone who loved you will probably try to help if you ask.

You can always play dumb. Tell him you didn’t know it is a benzo and the whole reason you’re coming to him for help is that you just today found that out. Put a spin on it like you have been serious about tapering off them, you heard from a coworker that it is a benzo so you looked it up, and you’re keeping everything honest and up front so that’s why you’re coming to him for help: to keep you honest.

If you’re short on pills you can say you were scared/angry when you found out and you tried to throw them out. The ones in the bottle are the ones you saved from the dumpster. Even if he knows you’re lying it might just be that he won’t care because you came to him for help.

Every day I waited to ask for help was one day closer to running out and all of the horrible things that come with that. And even though it starts with anger.... anyone who loved you will probably try
He actually did look after my benzos last time I tapered but I'm not quite ready as got myself conned out of £125 so I'll get over that first and I'm scared my depression will come back, oh and he knows I know a fuck load about benzo names etc

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.