• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

The Snooker Thread. V. "Sport" for pacemaker patients and the deaf

Anyone watching this afternoon? Rod Lawler is doing to Trump what Ebdon famously did to Robertson, taking about 40 seconds per shot to try to slow him down and disrupt the fluidity of his game. It's sort of working too, Lawler still very much in it at 4-3. Makes for very depressing snooker to watch though. :(

This thread inspired me to watch the snooker last night, never done that before... i didnt really get all the cat andouse type stuff but it were alright..

Then started watching a doc about Jimmy White, out partying with Ronnie Wood for days on end.. Other than Higgins i thought snooker players were pretty dull characters, think its the attire that threw up that prejudice..

Wrong wasn't i..

there's been a lot of big characters in snooker over the years. Currently it's all about Ronnie O'Sullivan who's anything but dull, his interviews are always worth a listen, at many points in his career you never knew what he was going to do or say next, coming out with 'controversial' statements or walking out of a match against his arch rival stephen hendry that had barely started cos he wasnt in the right frame of mind and went for a silly shot and left everything on. In one match his opponent bored and depressed him so much that he wore a towel over his head whilst he had to sit in the chair waiting for a chance. His mental approach has often been his downfall but he suffer/s(ed) from bi-polar, which would account for a lot of his 'crazy antics':\

When he first played left handed his opponent thought that he was taking the piss, (presumed he was thinking 'this is so easy and im so much better than you that i can beat you playing left handed') and got mightily offended, it wasnt until a while later that everyone realised he wasnt doing it to wind up his opponents, but just because he could, and he occasionally feels if hes not cueing well right handed then he'll switch to the left. Plus some shots right handed players cant reach without the rest.

I think its cos you have to concentrate on every shot it can make them appear boring and stifle their characters.

The last 2 frames in ronnies match last night were the most exciting; in the penultimate frame he went all out for a 147 being already comfortably 4-0 up, i think he got 8 red-blacks. He tried again in the next frame, and it seemed almost inevitable that he was going to do it from ball number 1. Ronnies' 13th competitive maximum break in professional tournaments. That is a new record, Hendry's second on 11 but he'll never catch up with Ronnie now because he's retired. Ronnie will also overtake Hendrys' record of 775 career centuries this season too:D

Last edited:
Thanks to Chats organisation skill, tracking this thread down was a doddle, so cheers dude.

Masters starts tomorrow!

So assuming Ronnie doesn't get knocked out by Ricky in the first round of the Masters (it's the Masters though so anything can happen, Ricky has been a trooper this season), I'll be missing a Ronnie match because of my surgery on Thursday.

He'll be playing Bingham or Fu (my money on Bingham of course). A Ronnie / Bingham second round could be exciting as well! Hope I can get back on ward sometime soon after 13:00. I present at 7.30am, think we're looking at 4hr op, but anything can happen. Can remember my PayPal details to pay for TV (easier than remembering banks card numbers when a bit hazy, I may not have the strength to lift my arms up to the touch screen telly to put in my username and password! And pay £10 a day for about half the freeview channels and no red button or table select - or is the whole masters single table?

I might be watching on my phone with the BBC Sport app, which is ace, if I can't get it through hospital butchered freeview.

From what I can gather, Ronnie and Selby are on opposite sides of the draw so a final between those two could be a really great finish, I reckon that Selby is the only player left who still intimidates Ronnie a little. He just doesn't give up, will grind any player down.

Perhaps Ronnie needs a new MO to take on and defeat Selby. Potting everything in sight whenever he gets the chance and then playing good safety too, just isnt enough against Selby, as Selby rarely leaves enough chances for his opponent when he's on his game..

Thankfully, imo, Selby can be inconsistent, and occasionally gets knocked out in the early rounds by 'lesser players'. Rather than make Ronnie really graft for his win, I'd rather see all Ronnies' opponents loose all their confidence against him and get thoroughly steam rollered out of the match.:\ The tense and close matches that you cant call a winner can be more exciting, but tbh i get more pleasure out of seeing Ronnie hit peak form and demolishing his opponents.

I do like a good Selby-O'Sullivan bout. There's usually a wee bit of humour between them.

However, I'd like to see Murphy go on and beat Selby as I like watching him play, too.

I've nearly given up on Mark Allen winning one of these years. He is a wee bit of prick though (but he's our prick <3).

I've nearly given up on Mark Allen winning one of these years. He is a wee bit of prick though (but he's our prick <3).

He's a good prick though, the times he's been fined for saying stuff in press conferences etc, have been issues with world snooker that actually need addressing.

Shaun Murphy has been playing worryingly well this week in the German Masters. Well enough to beat Ronnie on his way to the final. And to think he was talking about retiring last year. :\

With both Selby and now Murphy seeming to be 'catching up' with Ronnie, it means that Ronnie will need to raise the bar even higher, or always be on his A+ game when he meets these 2 if he's ever going to equal and surpass Steve Davis's and then Hendrys' tally of ranking or 'big' tournament victories, particularly for the big 3 of The Masters, The UK and The Worlds. He's getting agonisingly close now. If he does that he'll probably automatically surpass Hendrys ranking tournament victories tally. It's a race against time and the opposition to claim those titles before it's too late imo.

It's the Welsh open next week, or the week after i think, I'm looking forward to that. Ronnie seems to like that event and often seems to play very well in it and win the title. I doubt he'll bother with the Chinese tournament just before the Worlds, for some reason he doesnt seem to like going to China.

Yeah I've been watching a bit on Eurosport this week, Murphy's long game is the best I've ever seen in a player now. Selby is still doing his thing grinding away in the final though, so I wouldn't be surprised if Murphy still loses this one, he doesn't seem to be making the most of the chances he gives himself, usually with an awesome starting long pot!

Hopefully the Welsh Open will be on BBC Wales so I can watch it through the BBC Sport app like last year, the commentary and analysis on Eurosport during the German Masters has been abysmal.

Haha. Ebdon is the only person that can really get under his skin, there are some classic Edbon O'Sullivan games, I think his longest ones ever.

Won 1250 on ROSE AT WE . N THEN HAD A 3.60 dbl come at 11. N 3. £936

Never won on snooker mind
8(

C'mon man. Its Brimz. He just has unique ways of setting maths and english tests, usually in the same sentence.

UK West reprezent yo.

Ronnie and his cavalier attitude did himself no favours today. Its like Bingham wasn't worthy of Ronnie bothering to play well as Ronnie is so much better than that but that apparent attitude cost Ronnie dearly tonight. I suppose it's a form of arrogance really, but he can quite often struggle to motivate himself to play well against opponents he perhaps considers uninspiring. All week he's been on about how unmotivated he is for this Championship and how he really doesn't care about winning 6 world titles at all. Last year he was all over it, i think he said 8 World titles might be achievable for him.

He changes like the weather though, he probably means what he says when he says it, but he was in a right contrary mood when Davis interviewed him earlier in the week, just disagreeing with everything Davis said, heh, he probably feels differently about things from one day to the next, perhaps even from one hour to the next. I know how that feels. A few weeks ago he probably wanted his 6th world title more than anything, and he'll probably do so again soon.

A Ronnie vs Trump semi-final with the way Trump has been playing this week could have been the one of the best matches ever. Perhaps Ronnie was scared of getting slaughtered by Trump and didnt try in his QF match so as not to have to face Trump in the semi, though i highly doubt that really, Ronnie is not and never has been a bottler. As Trump matures though it is beginning to look like his talent and flair could surpass even that of Ronnies'.

I've long since given up trying to seriously speculate on or fathom Ronnies' behaviour. He is a law unto himself. As exasperatingly frustrating as it and he is at times, i guess its a part of what makes him so special and fascinating. Maybe 2016 will be the year Ronnie picks up his 6th world title. It really is bizarre when his legions of fans seem to care more about all this sort of stuff than Ronnie himself does on countless occassions. 8( Like I say though it'll probably be a different story tomorrow, if not already. :!