View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Phenethylamines The Small & Handy 2,6-Dibromomescaline (2,6-BM / DBM) Thread

Psychestim

Bluelighter
A small amount of this unusual phenethylamine has made its way into my hands and there is very little information on it. There is one Erowid report that describes it as exclusively visual and pleasurable, but other than that not much is known about it. It is mentioned in the Shulgin Index and in Daniels Trachsel's book "Phenethylamine: Von der Struktur zur Funktion" where it is said to be a little less potent than 2-Bromomescaline but around three times more potent than regular mescaline. Apparently, DBM was also the first synthetically made aryl-modified mescaline analog described by Arthur Heffter in 1901, the first person known to isolate mescaline from peyote.
After I receive my test-results for this chem I will still start with a small amount and titrate my way up until I reach an active dose to stay on the safe side. If anyone has tried this substance before or has any other useful information please let me know.

Dibromomescaline is a halogenated mescaline analog where two bromo-groups occupy the remaining spots on the phenyl-ring. I find it interesting that this packed chemical is even active with these two bulky groups on the aromatic ring but according to this post even the diiodo-variant is active, which is even bulkier.
According to Daniel Trachsel's phenethylamine book these are the following Ki values for 2,6-dibromomescaline:
5HT1A: 22 nM
5HT2A: 149 nM
5HT2C: 221 nM
so it has higher affinities at all of the measured receptors compared to mescaline and all of the other disubstituted mescaline analogs tested (specifically: 2,6-dimethylmescaline, 2,6-dichloromescaline, 2-bromo-6-methylmescaline & 2-bromo-6-chloromescaline).

IUPAC name: 2-(2,6-Dibromo-3,4,5-trimethoxyphenyl)ethan-1-amine
other names: 2,6-BM / DBM
formula: C11H15Br2NO3
molecular weight: 369.05 g/mol
structure: https://isomerdesign.com/PiHKAL/explore.php?domain=tk&id=7909

Last edited:
I love phens. Would be fantastic is that one reaches the public, as we have plenty of tripts to choose but the phens are pretty much dissapeared

Do you thing it will happen? In any case, report your findings

Do you thing it will happen? In any case, report your findings
Unfortunately, I don't think it will. I got mine from a chemist I know and as the Netherlands are planning on a blanket ban of various NPS I doubt vendors will stock this... One of the most popular NL vendors told me that they were planning to restock some 2C-x before the ban comes into effect but that was before they parted ways with the main Dutch producer team.

I have a Report on 2-bromomescaline in my mind, all i remember is that it was a fair Bit more potent than mescaline.

It's interesting that one of the bromos is on the 6th position... not too many psychedelics have a 6-substitution. TMA-6 comes to mind, but I can't think of any others off the top of my mind (I think some of the other TMAs might include a 6?)

TMA-6 is reported to be pleasant and nice, but not nearly as good as TMA-2 (the one with the classic 2,4,5 substitution pattern that led Shulgin to DOM and opened up an entire world of the gems of phenethylamines, including the entire DOX and 2C-X series).

Of course, this doesn't mean 2,6-dibromomescaline won't behave totally differently.

This is super interesting I wish I lived in a country where I could play with chemistry

It's interesting that one of the bromos is on the 6th position... not too many psychedelics have a 6-substitution. TMA-6 comes to mind, but I can't think of any others off the top of my mind (I think some of the other TMAs might include a 6?)
Yeah, I’m really excited about that too, it’s certainly the least explored position. There’s a few more 6-substituted phenethylamines in PiHKAL though. The Ψ-xxx PEA’s come to mind (Ψ-DOM, Ψ-2C-T-4, etc.), TMA-5/-6, 6-Br-MDA, and few novel ones that aren’t in PiHKAL like 6-Br-DMMDA-2, 6-Cl-MDMA, etc.

Curiousity got the best of me and I took 5mg of it today. Unsurprisingly, there were no effects noted. I will wait for the lab-result now and plan to take 10mg next.

Last edited:
I got my hands on some of this a few years ago, and did a titration. It was active at around 90 mg, but it doesn't have the magic of mescaline. It was also much shorter in duration.
Thank you, that‘s some very useful information to have! Any side-effects or after-effects you noticed while or after using 2,6-DBM?

Thank you, that‘s some very useful information to have! Any side-effects or after-effects you noticed while or after using 2,6-DBM?
I started with 1 mg, and doubled each time. I found a threshold dose around 30 mg, but then it increased very gradually, and it took me 92 to get a fully active dose. And, then I ran out. It was a few years ago, and I don't remember any unpleasant side effects. I think that it only lasted about 4 hours. It was strange in that it seemed to cause a change in visual contrast rather than in color, so the contrast of light and shadow were magnified.

Test result came back.

submitted as: 2,6-dibromomescaline
expected: 2,6-dibromomescaline (~75%)
unexpected: 2-bromomescaline (~25%)
remark: this sample also contains the mono-brominated analog 2-bromomescaline, alongside 2,6-dibromomescaline.

My 5mg and 10mg trial were without any effects, the titration continues.

Last edited:
Brominated escaline could dodge the "escaline is a positional isomer of schedule 1 TMA" problem that stops escaline from flowing freely in the US. Not sure the potency increases would stack, but it's an interesting little aside in getting more life out of the PEA skeleton even all these years post-PiHKaL. Obviously the corresponding brominated allyl, propyl, isopropyl, methallyl derivatives are all up for grabs too.

Test result came back.

I plugged 23mg of this batch the other night, so about 17mg of the DBM and 6mg of the 2-BM. Definitely active at this level but only a low +2. Took at least 30min for it to come on, which doesn't seem much faster than the Erowid report of oral administration of DBM.

Vision is crisper, automobiles have an exaggerated chrome-like aura, but no significant visual distortions aside from that. About an hour after I taking it I walk around my neighborhood with my dog. Have 2 interactions with other humans and small-talk is much easier and comes almost unconsciously. Some pinching pain in my left chest that's concerning, but I suspect it's related to my phenibut taper. No anxiety whatsoever.

Come inside and do a few different guided meditations in the dark, where I find that it's extremely easy to sink into a deep trance-like state. One of them is a transcendental meditation and the music and voice was a bit spooky, and it was stirring up mostly dark thoughts (things like life events and nightmares that I'd suppressed), but I pushed on through it. Another one was focused on letting go, and the suggestion to picture unwanted thoughts as colored balloons floating away has been quite helpful. At one point I have a flashback to a place I haven't thought about in at least 5 years. After 30min of meditation my mind is incredibly clear. I fall asleep not long after.

No headache the next day, other bodily variables seemed to be in good ranges as well. Ended up meeting one of my neighbors and we walked our dogs and talked for 30min or so. Conversation came extremely easily and just feels comforting being around another human. DBM/2-BM seems like a good social catalyst because it's usually difficult for me to engage with strangers in a non-superficial manner.

I only have about 57mg of this material left and I think I will eat the rest in a single dose.

Awesome! Hopefully I get a chance to try this one some day, it sounds lovely.

Test result came back.

remark: this sample also contains the mono-brominated analog 2-bromomescaline, alongside 2,6-dibromomescaline.

My 5mg and 10mg trial were without any effects, the titration continues.
A while after I got my first result I paused my experimentation with 2,6-DBM and waited for a second batch to land in my hands in the hopes of receiving a pure(r) product.
And indeed, a new batch of DBM magically found its way into my possession, but this time it was prepared as the hydrobromide salt. The powder was very shiny and looked much more visually appealing than the first sample. Out of excitement, I immediately continued my titration and took 20mg on an empty stomach. I noted no effects.
Anyway, after this trial I handed in a small amount of this powder for lab-testing and two days ago I received my result.
I was surpised and disappointed to see that my sample was again, adulterated.

submitted as: 2,6-Dibromomescaline HBr
expected: 2,6-Dibromomescaline HBr (not quantified)
unexpected: Unknown compound (not quantified)
remark: This sample contains a significant amount of a compound we could not (yet) identify, alongside 2,6-dibromomescaline. We know for sure that the unknown substance in your sample is not 2-bromomescaline.

I'm not too hopeful that they will be able to identify the mystery compound and I'm clueless what it might be. Unfortunately, the testing-facilities in my country don't give out the MS/NMR graphs so I can't really ask for help on here either, although any guesses are appreciated. Perhaps the amine of some DBM molecules acetylated when the chemist heated the product to get rid of the remaining 2-bromomescaline? Maybe it has something to do with preparing it as the HBr salt? I really don't know, looks like I will have to continue using the first batch, at least there I know what the byproduct is.

Well that's disappointing. Oh well, at least you have the sample that has a known contaminant. Though it would be good to be able to give reports on a pure compound, rather than 2 compounds that both sound interesting and have no reports.

Well that's disappointing. Oh well, at least you have the sample that has a known contaminant. Though it would be good to be able to give reports on a pure compound, rather than 2 compounds that both sound interesting and have no reports.
Yeah it is, maybe I’ll get a third batch at some point. The reports would be much more valuable if the compound was pure… Anyway, I think I’ll continue my titration with the first batch, perhaps the mix is quite enjoyable. :)