Mental Health The Schizophrenia/Schizoaffective Disorder Mega Thread

Has anyone came off of anti psychotics and experienced the bliss of.life again? Ive taken some psychedelics in my life that has changed me for the better. Im used to feeling in touch and connected but i dont anymore. The medication takes 4-8 momths to wear off. Will i see myself again?

Has anyone came off of anti psychotics and experienced the bliss of.life again? Ive taken some psychedelics in my life that has changed me for the better. Im used to feeling in touch and connected but i dont anymore. The medication takes 4-8 momths to wear off. Will i see myself again?

I'm sure it depends on how long you have been taking them and at what doses, but yes, in my experience their effects are reversible. This however also means that if you were taking them for the positive symptoms (delusions, voices, disorganized behavior) there's a high likelihood for them to came back and/or get worse. If you decide to do this, I really hope you do it properly under the supervision of a medical professional as quite a lot can go wrong, having someone as a backup can be a lifesaver.

I have schizophrenia and I've been findind since quitting cocaine and amphetamine I've been having a really hard time living life. The simple things that everyone does like going to work or walking the dog I've been having an EXTREMELY hard time doing. I don't know if its the risperidone I'm on or if its the fact I've stopped using stimulants. I'll wake up in the morning, drink my coffee, then sit there smoking and dreading the fact I have to go to work. I have to use everything in me to go to work for just one day. I'm constantly making up excuses as to why I can't come in. This is a problem because I'm in a government funded program currently that helps you find a job. You are paid to be in this program and currently I'm at risk of dropping out of the program and having to pay back all t he money I've been given. I've tried drinking coffee, smoking cigarettes, taking 5 hour energy drinks, taking other caffinated beverages, I've tried just about everything and I still can't do it.

I've been trying to get into a proper psychiatrist/psychologist, anyone that can possibly help me with this issue thats ruining my life. Everyday I feel like life would be so much easier if I started doing amphetamine again. I've been clean for 8 months now and I'm struggling like no other. I don't want to ever get back into drugs again because they ruined my life, but I feel like I'm losing my hold on reality and I need the drugs to keep me from sitting in a hole all day unable to live life.

I find myself playing video games a lot more than I used to, so I can escape reality. I don't want to be running away form reality I want to be able to embrace it and work with it. Its so hard for me...

Last edited:
It's cultural. What western society sees as delusional/magical thinking and psychosis, in a tribal society say in the amazon, would likely be noticed in an individual at a young age with subsequent training to the end of being a spiritual healer/leader. We have to undergo a few more paradigm shifts for that to happen, sadly.

You mention the application of this quality, and of others' perception of you squandering your gifts, and that led me to think about how I feel it is my duty to understand the reality around me as best i can, to experience the most things possible, to perceive everything from the most opposite perspectives. I feel like a sponge, frantically scrambling around soaking up all the knowledge and understanding I can before I inevitably die. Sometimes I feel this is selfish...I mean, if I don't share it in its entirety with a whole bunch of people, this is ultimately self-serving. But then I think that's where my spirituality kicks in and says "But remember, you're only conscious so the universe can experience itself subjectively and when you die you will rejoin the collective consciousness with your experiences. That is why you are alive." and it's all okay.

I'm trying to apply it properly, but I'm not sure how...

this is the culture im used to. I never heard voices or saw things that werent there. My consciousness was bloomed before this inVEGa! I hope it comes back!

Yes, you will. If I did, you will. What FnX said is true, it takes a while to get the chemicals to re-set, but you need to work with your doctor.

I was hospitalized in the 70's, when it was just fine to call people who were mentally ill "crazy" and when they didn't have any schizophrenia medication they truly relied on other than thorazine. But, it was also around the time they started to think twice about putting "labels" on conditions, rather than just "ah. Well, he's schizophrenic. That is, hopeless". So I got labelled with that, another time with bipolar, and another time with 'atypical depression'.

When you recognize that they are chock full of shit with all of that crap, and it makes you chuckle rather than despair, you are getting much better.

But yes, about stopping your meds, they stopped my thorazine, bang, like that once. They could do stuff like that when you were in the hospital, because if you flipped out and got violent they would strap you into a chair, or into your bed. I hallucinated and heard things that were 10 times weirder than the things I saw/heard before come for treatment, but I didn't flip out. I did try to kill myself, but it was very quiet and it wasn't very effective. But because of that I was transferred to a much grimmer place and hospitalized for months and months, almost a year. Imagine how sick you have to be now for that to happen, any kind of sickness, for that to happen. Then it was months and months in a group home until I could get close to being myself.

When I think about it, if I was "cured" to the point of getting released, it was true that talking with a psychiatrist helped. But what helped more was talking with a social worker and some of the psychiatric staff --people I could think of more like a real people and not scientific observers who held the keys to the cage, and who weren't always someone I needed an appointment to talk to.

But really what saved me was the stark fear of seeing the people who were truly psycho, much more than I, and wanting to get the hell out before I was killed. It was almost incredible that I wasn't killed, or that I didn't kill myself out of terror.

So I know that you are in a bad situation, a similar situation. Back then it was expected that you would be "warehoused" in a place for years and that it would be utterly hopeless, you would shuffle around like a zombie for the rest of your life and they were just fine with that. They would try a new medication, and if that didn't work, they would re-zombify you with thorazine and let you shuffle along until it seemed like they could try something else. Might take months, might take years, and the empirical evidence showed that it would probably never get any better. So it was ok if I never did.

So at least now they know that this is not the way it has to be.

But the point is this: the treatment, the medication, none of that isn't what gets you to point where you are "back" again. You get yourself back. It is very very hard work. It is the hardest work you will ever do, but the payoff is immense. But it is hard work. You have to make yourself over from the inside.

So yeah, thinking things like "now that was a rather abstract string of ideas" or "wow, that was kind of a weird thought" or "ho! ho! Now, that's a new twist on the normal delusion!" and just tagging those things as you go along helps you out of the maze. AND, keep a sense of humor!! If you think "oh my god I'm going crazy again" or "I'm just going to lose it again" then, yes, you will slip away for awhile. Also, if you have a faith, not a "religion" so much but a belief in a power outside of you and the physical reality that is not going to let you perish, this really helps.

Sorry to go on, but your short question "Will I see myself again?" set off a string of thoughts. Yes, you will, you just need to really love yourself and not be hard on yourself for not being 100% right at the moment.

Yes, you will. If I did, you will. What FnX said is true, it takes a while to get the chemicals to re-set, but you need to work with your doctor.

I was hospitalized in the 70's, when it was just fine to call people who were mentally ill "crazy" and when they didn't have any schizophrenia medication they truly relied on other than thorazine. But, it was also around the time they started to think twice about putting "labels" on conditions, rather than just "ah. Well, he's schizophrenic. That is, hopeless". So I got labelled with that, another time with bipolar, and another time with 'atypical depression'.

When you recognize that they are chock full of shit with all of that crap, and it makes you chuckle rather than despair, you are getting much better.

But yes, about stopping your meds, they stopped my thorazine, bang, like that once. They could do stuff like that when you were in the hospital, because if you flipped out and got violent they would strap you into a chair, or into your bed. I hallucinated and heard things that were 10 times weirder than the things I saw/heard before come for treatment, but I didn't flip out. I did try to kill myself, but it was very quiet and it wasn't very effective. But because of that I was transferred to a much grimmer place and hospitalized for months and months, almost a year. Imagine how sick you have to be now for that to happen, any kind of sickness, for that to happen. Then it was months and months in a group home until I could get close to being myself.

When I think about it, if I was "cured" to the point of getting released, it was true that talking with a psychiatrist helped. But what helped more was talking with a social worker and some of the psychiatric staff --people I could think of more like a real people and not scientific observers who held the keys to the cage, and who weren't always someone I needed an appointment to talk to.

But really what saved me was the stark fear of seeing the people who were truly psycho, much more than I, and wanting to get the hell out before I was killed. It was almost incredible that I wasn't killed, or that I didn't kill myself out of terror.

So I know that you are in a bad situation, a similar situation. Back then it was expected that you would be "warehoused" in a place for years and that it would be utterly hopeless, you would shuffle around like a zombie for the rest of your life and they were just fine with that. They would try a new medication, and if that didn't work, they would re-zombify you with thorazine and let you shuffle along until it seemed like they could try something else. Might take months, might take years, and the empirical evidence showed that it would probably never get any better. So it was ok if I never did.

But the point is this: the treatment, the medication, none of that isn't what gets you to point where you are "back" again. You get yourself back. It is very very hard work. It is the hardest work you will ever do, but the payoff is immense. But it is hard work. You have to make yourself over from the inside.

So yeah, thinking things like "now that was a rather abstract string of ideas" or "wow, that was kind of a weird thought" or "ho! ho! Now, that's a new twist on the normal delusion!" and just tagging those things as you go along helps you out of the maze. AND, keep a sense of humor!! If you think "oh my god I'm going crazy again" or "I'm just going to lose it again" then, yes, you will slip away for awhile. Also, if you have a faith, not a "religion" so much but a belief in a power outside of you and the physical reality that is not going to let you perish, this really helps.

Sorry to go on, but your short question "Will I see myself again?" set off a string of thoughts. Yes, you will, you just need to really love yourself and not be hard on yourself for not being 100% right at the moment.

Thanks for the input! Im at 3 months away from The shot. You made me relise im truely inside out right now.. I guess it isnt a bad thing to hage my head on straight right now. For example..i smoked some weed the other day and it took no effect like it used to. I guess i have to play the waiting game and be truely grateful for my life and precious mind. Neva forget!!! (they mis diagnosed me and said i just had a manic episode.... days

I don't know if its the risperidone I'm on
It could be. I was on risperidone for half a year, and didn't feel too well during that time. I was changed to clozapine, and now I'm feeling better. Clozapine is probably the last antipsychotic psychiatrists will try, because there's some serious blood cell issues with it. You could try olanzapine - many people benefit from it. Just my 2 cents!

Ive noticed memory problems too. Will those go away?

Short term,you mean? that takes awhile. Part of it is your routine, and training yourself to focus.

It started happening once i got this shot. I can remember specufics but i cant put it into words. Juat like me chilling with this girl yesterday woth a blank mind. I hope this gets better.

I would have a hard time telling you what happened in a movie. This wasnt a problem before. It must be because the neurotransmitters are blockimg part of my brain from this med in my blood stream?

Did they say what was in the shot, just risperidone?

Something that seems to happen is that it takes effort to understand things that happen in.a sequence. Also, if you and your girl were making out during the movie, this could have led to a poorer recollection. :)

Last edited:
Im worried i will never feel the way i used to. Are still things still the same brotha man? I used to have an incredible view.on my life. I got 112 percent out of life. Now i feel stunted. You promise i will see my shadow again?!

Dude, I've seen all your posts. Stop worrying about it and give it a go. You should be able to get back to your former self. As I understand it memory problems are a major side effect of antipsychotics - I get them myself! I go into 2 hour lectures at university and come out not even remembering who the lecturer was. It's horrible, but as far as I'm aware antipsychotics do NOT cause permanent changes in our brain chemistry, so if you stop them you'll get back to how you were.

Again, best of luck :)

Dude, I've seen all your posts. Stop worrying about it and give it a go. You should be able to get back to your former self. As I understand it memory problems are a major side effect of antipsychotics - I get them myself! I go into 2 hour lectures at university and come out not even remembering who the lecturer was. It's horrible, but as far as I'm aware antipsychotics do NOT cause permanent changes in our brain chemistry, so if you stop them you'll get back to how you were.

Again, best of luck :)

Ok thanks! Its been almost 4 months. I've read that it takes 4-8 months. Im just frustrated i got this shot that makes me not remember anything and ruins my experience of life.

Ok thanks! Its been almost 4 months. I've read that it takes 4-8 months. Im just frustrated i got this shot that makes me not remember anything and ruins my experience of life.
It's understandable. Best of luck with it, and if you could update us in the future about whether you got back to normal that would be great!