• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

the S+G social thread vers. NFL offseason = S+G offseason

maybe if you guys had bought a few more t shirts or couple million tickets it wouldnt have gone down like that but such is Atlanta sports I'm afraid

Perhaps this will finally make it so the A's get to move to San Jose and demolish the O.co mausoleum. Or maybe the Raiders will move back to LA or venture out to Bakersfield after the new high speed rail is built. lol

yeah well there's always an MLS team to be bought somewhere around

they could take the failed hockey team's place in atlanta

their playoff system is kind of returded though, much like the European version

our representative (we share with grant park, peoples town and summer hill) said she had no idea there was even talk about it until it was announced, so i'm not sure how much blame we can put on the city, unless you mean just kasim

It’s the city’s fault, because downtown proper is the biggest pile of shit on earth, and nobody is doing anything to fix that. Ask someone from Chicago, NYC, LA, Seattle, even Houston, what they think of our downtown. It’s garbage. Sure, we’ve got great neighborhoods that surround downtown, but downtown itself is nothing more than a giant conference room for business people to get in and get out of. It’s garbage, and it always has been. There is nothing to do there to attract tourism. It just pisses me off, because I love Atlanta so freaking much, but we have easily the most boring downtown in all of the major cities in the US.

The move to Cobb County was a good business decision for the Braves. They moved to where the season ticket holders are, will pay less taxes and will sell more tickets and make more money (that’s not even debatable). They’re already talking about all of the bars, hotels and mixed use spaces they’re going to put around the stadium. It’s going to be awesome (minus the whole being in the god damn suburbs part), but it grinds my fucking gears because if our city government was worth a shit, they would have done this around Turner field years ago. They knew damn well that every white suburban asshole from Cobb County doesn’t want to come down to a game because of the area and the lack of cool shit to do around the area. Had they done something about that years ago, this would not be happening.

Again, it makes perfect business sense for the Braves, but it’s now taking even more away from our already struggling downtown. So, now, when people come in from out of town to see a Braves game, they get to visit, stay in and spend their money in the glorious suburb of Cobb Fucking County. It’s horse shit. This city is lazy. Professional sports don’t belong in the suburbs. Congrats Atlanta, this is your fault. Oh, and speaking of Kasim, he’s already said they’re going to turn the Turner Field area into a super awesome middle income neighborhood. Because that will really help our already fucked tourism market. Ugh, suck my dick Atlanta. I’m so disappointed in the city I love, yet again.

and to top it off, now i'm gonna get like 3 DUI's every baseball season. but at least the new stadium will be by my office. unfortunatley, there isn't even a fucking MARTA rail up this way. this city is so stupid.

Is anyone aware that a Russian heavyweight was beaten into a coma on HBO 2weeks ago by a black Cuban called Irish Mike?

Boxing will be the next football, mark my words.

more and more i think about it the more and more i agree with whatever your name is from the loaf.

I don't know what baseball team I will root for but I cannot in good conscience root for a sports team, an organization, that fails to see the power it holds beyond simply uplifting a stadium's crowd for a night. I cannot root for an organization that would turn its back on a community that it never did enough to foster in the first place, to move to a place so lacking in community that it has no name. I cannot root for an organization that cannot see how the magic inspired by fireworks over a neighborhood can light a child's dreams for years on end. And mostly, I cannot root for an organization whose name will come to represent the height of irony, and hypocrisy. I can't help feeling that the Braves are fleeing something they've so long wanted to ignore, rather than help make right.

That spot where the field is now is stupid prime real estate. in the right hands it could be millions of things - more dorms for gsu, mixed income housing, a god damn fucking grocery store? because our neighborhood doesn't have a place to buy a fucking apple for miles, millions of things. it looks like Kasim had to pick between saving the falcons and saving the braves and he probably made the right ($$$) choice. i'm sad because whatever happens, that whole stretch of georgia avenue from hill to hank aaron is going to be totally different and most likely destroy the 10 murals we put there over the summer. that won't be for years though. it will be closely watched by us, our neighborhood organization and our city council person, whatever happens.

Last edited:
^^^^that's not me. i don't post on the loaf. but, i don't necessarily agree with his post. i mean, i get it, i suppose the braves could've tried harder to get the city to buy in to make the area around the stadium nicer. but that's not really their job. their job is to win baseball games. i still blame this on the city, and i will root for the braves until the day i die. i'm sure the new place is gonna be boss as fuck and i'll get over it eventually. but, fuck, man. just, fuck. so many memories from that stadium, and growing up going to fulton county stadium. wtf are they gonna do with the wall that hank aaron hit his
715th HR? they'll probably put it up for auction and some rich fucking dickhead from forsyth county will put it up on his property for his kids to play with or something.

fuck this shit.

i wish more small business owners had had the balls to open up new places around the stadium. small business is what makes grant park, inman park, etc such an awesome fucking place to live.

i don't know if you've been to grant park but there really isn't any "small business" over here. a pizza place owned by a politician? unless you mean that stuff on memorial by oakland cemetery.

i don't give a shit about baseball, i've never attended a baseball game and nor will i ever, but it was nice to sit on Augustine's back patio and drink whiskeys and watch the fireworks on hot summer friday nights. def an atlanta memory for me. they have an amazing view of the city right there.

If anyone every knocks football becase the players wear pads, show them this video.

No other sport has hits like this.

Dashon Goldson vs Early Doucet

yeah that was a big one

still though, my all time favorite hit that I witnessed live. Had a group of about 10 people all watching it in the same room and everyone freaked out at the same time with the same intensity and I couldn't help but picture the same scene occurring in every living room in the area country (playoffs? you kidding me? playoffs?)

feels good to hear Jim Johnson's name in videos, RIP (Jim Johnson that is, not Reggie Bush)

call me old fashioned, but if it's a sporting event I truly care about

give me the couch and my flat screen

no distractions

no stragglers

just intense professional sports watching

call me old fashioned, but if it's a sporting event I truly care about

give me the couch and my flat screen

no distractions

no stragglers

just intense professional sports watching
i dig it

wathced yesterdays gopher game alone

in garage

putting golf balls, pacing, chain smoking, throwing darts, reminding my dog that she's a good dog, drinking beers and ended with smoke

i don't yell at TV, only once, when they went up 7-3
i fucking hate being around TV screaming, unless it's positive/celebratory

i'm just happy i don't get all pissy about losing like i used to, it's like, eh, whatever
but same time, i've become desensitized towards wins

fuck, least i'm still interested
was so close to just saying good bye to football many times past 5 years

jerry kill saved my baby