Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The 'quit smoking' thread

Sure fire way to quit smoking:
Invasive surgery on the throat!
Seriously, i recently got a tonsilectimy. I HAD to quit (meaning absolutly NO smoking) a decent few weeks before the operation so as my throat would be in "decent" condition and therefore i had no infections down there on the day of the operation. Not smoking for this period of time also meant faster recovery (less painful, i dispute!) and therefore less time spent bumming around my house and not partying and seeing mates.
Now, a few weeks AFTER my operation, my throat is healed, and i ~CAN~ smoke, but i've only smoked 4 cigs since my throat has felt better. Only socially too which ~was~ the only time i ~wanted~ to smoke when i did. But y'know what: I don't like it at all. It tasted like crap. (Not that it ever tasted nice, but now it was worse than ever and the "act" of smoking wasn't even that enjoyable). The only reason i had those four (and i'm not saying i'm not having any more, casue i will... i just won't go through 1-2 decks per week), was primally becasue i was kinda "altered" and everyone around me was smoking, and therefore i was tempted.
I spose if you REALLY want to quit permenantly, the you can do the invasive-surgery and not-going-out-of-your-house-to-be-tempted combo... But, meh. A few cigs a week is a fair improvement. And i can only see myself ever smoking if i'm out, around others who are smoking and possibly in an "altered" state. (Which means most Thursday, Friday, Saturdays... Ha!) ;)
Try it!
(P.S. Plz dun take me seriously!) :)

I tried that^^. I quit for major jaw surgery, and stayed off them for about 2 weeks afterwards. At first I couldn't even feel the ciggie sitting on my lip, because my face was still numb from the surgery. How tragic is that? Anyhow, I quit 18 months later, so it's all good.

ok this is day number 2 and lets just say that this normally happy and bubbly and energetic young gal could just about bite off anyones head at the momenent!!!!
i want a fucking smoke!!!!
but i'll be strong....*sigh*
god damn it!!!! how long am i gonna feel like shit b4 i buy a packet? seems like it would just beeasier to go and have one then put up with the need to suck on something...

couple of websites with info about quitting
quit <--- national tobacco campaign (the one that does those icky tv ads.)
quit victoria <--- run by the Caner Council Victoria
[ 11 December 2002: Message edited by: PsychoKitten ]

Hmmm...
I've just bought my first pouch of tobacco. Fucken.
Twenty years of life and I've ducked and dodged through all my friends offering me cigarettes, and it's only now that I have finally crumbled and started smoking.
Double Fucken.
Thankfully, I probably smoke about 3 cigs a day at the most.
And I really only see myself stopping if there is a huge lifestyle upheaval. It just comes with the territory around here.

Originally posted by Fetish Jester:
Hmmm...
Thankfully, I probably smoke about 3 cigs a day at the most.

Why bother in the first place - you're not trying to be cool? ;)

wh00t haste :)
How many of us who posted about quitting have actually quit and have managed to stay quit?
I know Jake and I both fell off the bandwagon somewhere in the second or third week after all these posts.
I personally have no plans to try and quit again for now, the desire to stop just isn't strong enough.

Well, I quit for obvious reasons. It did take some doing - I couldn't quit right away like most women seem to be able to. I've always felt that I needed to have a cigarette when I felt anxious, although since I've stopped smoking, I've realised that the reverse is true.
I went from smoking a 25 pack of 12mg per day. Then I smoked 2 packs of 8mg over about 4 days, then a pack of 4mg over.. well, that was over one day, because it was a bad day. Then I smoked a pack of 2mg over a few days, and then a couple of packs of 1mg.
The first time I went a whole working week without smoking, I had a cigarette to celebrate. And it tasted AWFUL! But then, I always knew that.
I still have cravings. A lot. And I always feel really bad when I have cravings, because I know I shouldn't. And it's haaaaaaard and I struggle at times because apparently I'm not allowed to use gum or patches, so I have no choice but to quit cold turkey.
-stab-
Yay for not smoking!
-kill-

Well quiting was pretty easy for me in the end - although I do have many failed attempts under my belt aswell. This time was easier cause smoking was making me sick and tasting like shit - this sort of took care of the craving side hehe.
Also, there is not many people I hang out with on a day to day basis that smoke, so not having it in my face helps heaps!
It so good to breath again :)

i am farkin hopeless
i went to visit my nan today 4 lunch and she offerd me a cig...then i borrowed some cash and bought a pack
cant even make 2 days god damn it!!!

my advice... go throw that pack in the bin. It's a statement to yourself that you're quitting.

Anybody find it hard to quit when you're surrounded by ciggerettes all day and can give yourself ridiculous markdowns so smoking is almost semi-affordable? This is my dilemma, guess i'll just smoke bongs, i mean i started to smoke cigs to get off the bongs, so it's gotta work in the reverse right?

Yeah, Fetish Jester, you NAUGHTY boy!!
like i said, bum cigarettes off as many people as you can first, don't buy your first pack yet, anyway, it's too late. You really are gunna be a journo.
Anyhoo, i've notice a huge majority of my friends smoke, or casualy smoke, and the "trend" catches on. I think i even got one guy from work started on the fags. Alas, i enjoy smoking, and for now i will continue, i mean i'd have nothing to do in those 5 minute breaks between classes at uni. There only 2 ways i'll stop, and for now, i'm young, naive, and will live forever !!

I quit about 2 months ago, but i still smoke on the weekends and when i drink (which i also cut down alot) which is probably not a good idea 'cos i still get cravings (although not too bad...) My goal is to end up as a social smoker, because i love it so much! Been hitting the bongs something cronic tho...

Originally posted by lachs:
I quit about 2 months ago, but i still smoke on the weekends and when i drink (which i also cut down alot) which is probably not a good idea 'cos i still get cravings (although not too bad...) My goal is to end up as a social smoker, because i love it so much! Been hitting the bongs something cronic tho...
What part is the quitting part? ;)

^^^^^^ lol too true!!
im still smoking *sigh*
my new man dont like me smoking tho ...i reall should quit just to smell and taste better 4 him
not that hes asked me too :p

^^^^ u'll be back :p
just kiddin! good luck :)
wish i was as strong
soon....soon...soon