• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The 'quit smoking' thread

Try - Arrrrrghhhh

^
Fakin' a seezya' is quicker.

I'mean,
not to turn anyone off
the 63 hours....

(*your right 'bout the time, bro....:\ *)

Shake The Magic 8 Ball, Peeps!

Damn I wish I was a fish.

T'at,
an' I hadn't bought that BL Smirny....

Caus I'd buy it now....

:(

Why would they give you a lung scan if you appeared to have a seizure?

Congrats mazdan and (almost) congrats SLM. What are you doing with that pipe UnSquare? That's not cool, even Hugh Hefner gave up pipe smoking! :)

Tell 'em The Siezure's From Benzo Wif'drawl... Once You Pas' Triage... You Get 'tend

^I have better one, now.

It's 'worn in'
&
all cool curvy,
like I'm
Sherlock,
Holmes...

Jus' need the hypodermic coke.

:(

Ash Tres'....

Oh, an' ifya give me a Mansion
o' 1000's
o' naked
'bunnies',
I'll col' turk it fo' ya'...

:)

Bob Seegar

Jus' sparkin' up the seconday
of a
Romeo Y Julieta...

So,
as pinched:
shutthefuckup.jpg

PEACE
TO
QUIT
Uns
cool-smiley-030.gif

That pic of you is perfect Uns.........lol.

Oh and Lurv the Bow...........weeeeeeeeeeee

Aktualie, It's 6:19! Getup Everybody!

You should be asleep,
Capt'n I,
like all the other
Good
Mod's...

Jes',
set an ex:ampule..................
..........;)

UnSquare said:
P.S.: are you gonna pickituppa gen when said beautiful person slides out?

confused-smiley-007.gif

Hey I hope not. There's not a lot of places smokers are welcome these days, it's becoming a pain in the ass to feel comfortable having a fag anywhere but your own home. Kind of kills the social thing having to stand out on the street in front of a pub, sans-drink. Also I really don't like the idea of either of us smoking around the child, so I will try hard.

Not ever going back though is going to require not ever missing it, 'cause if I do, I undoubtedly will. Thus, reading this book to find out how that's possible ......

Had my first "non-smoke" morning coffee this morning in well over 8 years. It actually wasn't as bad as I thought. First in a long line of firsts I imagine

Ps. "SLIDE" ..... I like it! I will remember that one :D <3 xx

pps. DRINKING, however, I will re-embrace with a passion ;) ;)

To the people who stopped permanently:

did you have a really strong desire to quit? I have no really strong desire, know intellectually its really bad for my bod and my wallet - but i feel with no strong desire - its never going to work... so what's the point trying? Or am i wrong?

although i did stop smoking dope simply because one day it was raining so hard and I couldn't face missioning in the pouring rain to the dealer...

schmangle said:
I have no really strong desire, know intellectually its really bad for my bod and my wallet - but i feel with no strong desire - its never going to work... so what's the point trying? Or am i wrong?

Just personal opinion, I don't think there's any point at all trying when you don't want to stop. Like most drug addictions, I reckon most people have to come to some sort of personal turning point in order to quit permanently, whether it be about health, money, just getting plain sick of it, or something else confronting but not about you, like a family member dying, or PREGNANCY perhaps ;). Everyone's turning point is different. If you do it just because you think you oughta, I doubt you'll achieve the true motivation needed. Realistically.
*shrug*

i quit a year ago for 4 months but took it up again when my father died. I want to quit smoking but i feel powerless. it seems to be the only drug urge ive never been able to control. my main problem is smoking when i go out which i hate doing anyway. what the fuck?

Strawberry_lovemuffin said:
Just personal opinion, I don't think there's any point at all trying when you don't want to stop. Like most drug addictions, I reckon most people have to come to some sort of personal turning point in order to quit permanently, whether it be about health, money, just getting plain sick of it, or something else confronting but not about you, like a family member dying, or PREGNANCY perhaps ;). Everyone's turning point is different. If you do it just because you think you oughta, I doubt you'll achieve the true motivation needed. Realistically.
*shrug*

Just read that after posting above. Damn.....
You are so right!

Tell Him/Her The Liberator Who Destroyed My Property Has Realigned My Perception.

My Fav'right Preggerz.. said:
Ps.
"SLIDE"
..... I like it! I will remember that one
<3 xx

Don' thank me,
thank David Fincher,
Penguin's
& Double-Personality Dis(?)order...
;)

Last edited:
schmangle said:

did you have a really strong desire to quit? I have no really strong desire, know intellectually its really bad for my bod and my wallet - but i feel with no strong desire - its never going to work... so what's the point trying? Or am i wrong?

although i did stop smoking dope simply because one day it was raining so hard and I couldn't face missioning in the pouring rain to the dealer...
I didnt have a strong desire and still love the concept of smoking (without actually craving one)

I quit spontaneously. I got the idea stuck in my head like a bad spice girls song late one friday night and stubbed out my last one 2 days later. I didnt use reasoning about health, price or whatever, logic like that is too weak a motivator. That was about 2 years ago

m4dd0g said:
I didnt have a strong desire and still love the concept of smoking (without actually craving one)

I quit spontaneously. I got the idea stuck in my head like a bad spice girls song late one friday night and stubbed out my last one 2 days later. I didnt use reasoning about health, price or whatever, logic like that is too weak a motivator. That was about 2 years ago

Really? As arbitary as all that?

Just curious... how come you don't take it up again? If you still love the concept of smoking, and giving up had nothing to do with health or money, in fact, had no basis in logic whatsoever, why on earth would you deny yourself the pleasure? :D You may be a zany unpredictable guy, but you don't strike me as a masochist.

"I gave up oranges spontaneously. No, I'm not allergic to them, not on a diet or anything, and the cost wasn't a factor. In fact I still really LOVE the concept of eating oranges, I just don't anymore."

Seems bizarre, at best? Farfetched at worst.

Subconciously or conciously, you must have reasons you'd prefer to be a non-smoker. Otherwise you'd be smoking.

It's probably a bit insulting, too, to those of us in this thread who have tried really fucking hard to quit and think health and money are damn good motivators, to trivialise the act of quitting because you did it as a passing fancy.

Last edited:
^ Sorry, you're right. In hind sight that came off really trite. Those are good reasons but i never found them good motivators.

I dont mean to trivialise it. But i think a lot of people cant quit because they fight addiction with logic. When the junky voice slams you up against the wall it is very easy to break a logical argument. Addiction (like emotion and faith) doesnt work in the realm of reason.

I found it insanely hard to quit and it it took everything i am to be able to do it. Now, without addiction i can say: 'i shouldnt smoke, its stupid' and it works.

Ive a fair idea what my subconscious motivation was but without knowing the type of person i am you would probably think its bullshit and/or a passing fancy.

Last edited:
schmangle said:

I actually didn't want to quit because I really like smoking, but it was giving me heart palpitations so I had to.

I still miss it but I'm never touching the fucking things again, so yes, it is possible to quit without a strong desire to.

m4dd0g said:
^ Sorry, you're right. In hind sight that came off really trite. Those are good reasons but i never found them good motivators.

I dont mean to trivialise it. But i think a lot of people cant quit because they fight addiction with logic. When the junky voice slams you up against the wall it is very easy to break a logical argument. Addiction (like emotion and faith) doesnt work in the realm of reason.

I found it insanely hard to quit and it it took everything i am to be able to do it. Now, without addiction i can say: 'i shouldnt smoke, its stupid' and it works.

Ive a fair idea what my subconscious motivation was but without knowing the type of person i am you would probably think its bullshit and/or a passing fancy.

Gosh I feel really bad now :) Thanks for not getting defensive back at me; I apologise for my hormonal rant too :)

You know what, now you explain it a bit further I actually agree with you about the "junky voice" being unstoppable by logic. I mean how else can you explain people who've had a leg removed or in the late stages of lung cancer still smoking? 9-months pregnant women puffing on a fag outside the delivery room? Going to visit your dying parent in hospital then lighting up afterwards. We've all heard of those situations and they're sadly not as rare as they should be.

The junky mind has been on at me in the last 2 days. I almost slipped up on Saturday (my first totally smoke free day). Dale was out, and I was just about to watch a DVD. One of my previous habits was settling in with my pack of ciggies, a drink, and snacks - and OH MY GOD i really really really really really wanted one right then. Dale had left his packet at home, but thank god - it only had one left in it. I wasn't going to take his last one. So I stuck the moment out, and it passed.

For all the good reasons I have to quit, junky-mind is still telling me it would be okay just to sneak one here or there. I know that's not possible - if I sneak one here and there I will be ten times more preoccupied with smoking than if I quit altogether.

The Allen Carr book is telling me that every time I have one of those moments I should try and turn it around and see it as "Yay! I don't have to smoke any more. I'm free!" And that works great for all those ones you didn't want to smoke but had to- sneaking out of meetings, interrupting a conversation with your mum to nick outside for one, standing in the freezing cold under an umbrella sucking one down.... lighting up in front of kids with their dissaproving faces.... - You know what? it's really NICE NOT TO BE CONTROLLED like that anymore :)

But it is a little harder for those "pleasure" ones we've brainwashed ourselves into believing enhance a situation.

Oh no, I ranted =D sorry

Back to the original... so yeah, I totally agree junky mind > logic in most cases. But still, the impetus to quit in the first instance has gotta come from somewhere, maybe in the form of a health crisis like lostpunk's, or a buildup of frustration with being a smoker. In other words, the situation's got bad enough that you don't have a choice, or you're starting to see through your own face-saving excuses ( giving up for someone else is probably the weakest motivation IMO - no internal realisation ). While you're just crusing along with no problems at all, most people are gonna find it pretty hard to get the urge to quit, right? No matter what the ads tell them.

Whether that inital motivation translates into long term success, I reckon comes from how acutely you can observe and appreciate the benefits of being a non-smoker, once you're there. And the ability to keep constantly reminding yourself of it. O' course I'm just postulating as a newbie quitter and you're in the situation yourself... what do you think?

Last edited: