Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The 'quit smoking' thread

Kick the habit with an 'e-cigarette'
May 11, 2007 - 11:22AM

e_cigarette_narrowweb__300x225,0.jpg

E-cigarettes are already available in China, Israel, Turkey and a number of European countries.

It feels like a cigarette and looks like a cigarette, but it isn't bad for your health.

A Chinese company marketing the world's first "electronic" cigarette hopes to double sales this year as it expands overseas and as some of China's legions of smokers try to quit.

Golden Dragon Group's Ruyan cigarettes are battery-powered, cigarette-shaped devices that deliver nicotine to inhalers in a bid to emulate actual smoking.

"The nicotine is delivered to the lungs within 7 to 10 seconds," said Scott Fraser, Vice President of SBT Co., the Beijing-based firm that first developed the electronic cigarette technology in 2003 and which is now controlled by Golden Dragon.

"It feels like a cigarette, looks like a cigarette, it even emits vapour. In many ways, it is like an actual smoking experience, and that's what makes us different," he told Reuters.

The cigarettes sell for around $US208 ($252) apiece and are already available in China, Israel, Turkey, and a number of European countries, but not yet Australia or the United States.

Golden Dragon's competitors include global giants Pfizer and Novartis AG, which sell more familiar nicotine replacement products such as chewing gum, patches, and inhalers.

But Golden Dragon's financial results show it might be onto a good thing. Sales more than doubled to HK$286.1 million ($44 million) in 2006, after surging more than ten-fold to HK$135.6 million ($21 million) in 2005, a year after the technology was perfected.

China - home to 400 million smokers and a roughly $US160 billion dollar tobacco industry - accounts for 65 per cent of Ruyan sales. The firm estimates around 10 per cent of China's smokers are attempting to quit, and averaging a 2 per cent success rate.

Reuters

The Age

xcidium said:
I'd make a ciggy bum-puffing joke right now if it had been in my bowels. ;)
I was thinking your japs eye, actually. But hey, I've never delved into your insides to find where your bladder is, so you might be right there.

China - home to 400 million smokers and a roughly $US160 billion dollar tobacco industry - accounts for 65 per cent of Ruyan sales. The firm estimates around 10 per cent of China's smokers are attempting to quit, and averaging a 2 per cent success rate.

Oh my, that's no good at all. And just to think of the money they are spending on 'The War on Drugs' the could be better spent elsewhere. They are not good odds if you are trying to quit. :(

Cold Turkey...that's how I did it.....

Oh and I met a beautiful girl who I married. Kinda didn't wanna die in 20 years and leave her behind.

woohoo I have been clean for 8 days now.

Gone cold turkey just up and stopped.

On Zyban but it doesnt seem to do much.

I seem to get shitty easy and the cravings are still there.

How much longer???

Don't want to dishearten you but I haven't had so much as a drag of a cig. in about 3 years and I still think about smoking all the time.

I don't know about Zyban, but I started on Aurorix and discovered a very pleasant side effect - I didn't enjoy smoking anymore. I didn't dislike it so much as I just didn't have any positive reinforcement to make me continue to smoke.

So if Zyban doesn't work, I'd suggest talking to your doctor about Aurorix. Worked a treat for me. I've lapsed once for a few days but stopped again with no withdrawls.

Oh hey - I can finally properly join this thread :)

Given/giving up smoking for clearly obvious reasons. I've done it the bit-by-bit way, since you can't use nicotine replacement in pregnancy and I was just too chicken to go cold turkey.

Over the course of 2 weeks now I've gradually cut out one at a time; so gone from 7 to 6 (that was pretty easy), 6 down to 5 (stayed there getting used to it for a couple of days), 5 down to 4 (really difficult), and now by not taking any to work at all during the day I'm down to 3. Although what I'm finding is happening is even with those three apart from the morning one I can't finish them - I'm really only smoking half. So I say it's 2.

Next week is proper d day when I cut them out altogether. I have used this method successfully several times in the past - seems to work for me. On patches I would just rip them off and smoke anyway - cold turkey I would last half a day. I need to create myself new habits and change my reality gradually... yeah I also inch into cold water one toe at a time too ;)

lostpunk5545 said:
Don't want to dishearten you but I haven't had so much as a drag of a cig. in about 3 years and I still think about smoking all the time.

I have known people stop for longer who said they craved all the time as well. My experience was " that's it ! I don't smoke" Worked quite well! :)

slm?????

I hope ur not talkin 7 packets a day??

I will assume you meant 7 smokes..........but I dont get that either............how do you smoke just 7 a day. I would hardly call that hooked and would have thought it to be a doddle to give up.

Not makiung light of you..........just interested in learning I guess.

I was sitting arround 50 smokes a day or so.

I wont smoke again.............but its still hard at times.

Probably a bit easier though than a week ago.

Best thing you'll ever do. After 3-4wks when your taste comes back it's amazing.

MazDan said:
slm?????

I hope ur not talkin 7 packets a day??

I will assume you meant 7 smokes..........but I dont get that either............how do you smoke just 7 a day. I would hardly call that hooked and would have thought it to be a doddle to give up.

Not makiung light of you..........just interested in learning I guess.

Oh, believe me: 7 smokes a day was "hooked" for me, just as much as 50 smokes for you. :) Look at my daily 'smoke schedule' - smoking was like eating to me. It was part of the fabric of my day, very, VERY habitual - not spontaneous. This was my UN-shakeable "schedule". It was like clockwork. You could time it; in fact I did.... I would look at the clock to see if it was 'time' and wouldn't have one until it was. :D

8am: ciggy after breakfast
10.30am: mid-morning ciggy
1pm: after lunch ciggy
3pm: mid-afternoon ciggy
5.30pm: after work ciggy
7.30pm: after dinner ciggy
9pm: evening ciggy

... every. single. day. For the last 5-6 years.

If I was even 15 minutes past one of those times, I would start to get shaky, headachy, cranky and nauseous. It was most definitely an addiction, but a strange Obsessive-Compulsive/ psychological one rather than how most people smoke (whenever they get the opportunity).

I couldn't light one up after the other, but if I didn't have one at my regular 2 hour interval I was a wreck. I think the timing thing started out as a way to control my intake, but it ended up making me much more trapped in a prison of habit. Cutting out every one of those smokes has been like re-learning an ingrained behaviour. Cuckoo hey? ;)

Of course when drinking/ taking drugs the whole smoke schedule went out the window - could smoke 20 a night (heaps for me)

Last edited:
^ i think the habit can be almost just as hard to break as the addiction! If not harder. I was smoking almost a pack a day for a couple years. And gradually cut down (I had a schedule exactly like yours for a long time too lol), ive beaten my "addiction" so to say but there's still certain habits, i just havent been able to break!

I still have to have a ciggy EVERY single time i hop into my car without fail. Im trying to fix that at the moment by eating skittles, but i just end up going nuts with the skittles and feeling sick so il have a ciggarette:\

^ Oh, good to know I'm not alone! I've actually never met a smoker like me in my life. Everyone I know smokes pretty much unconciously; they'll light up several while they're on the phone, they'll light one up when someone else lights one up, they'll smoke 3 in a row if they feel like it. I've never been like that, smoking for me was not a social or fun activity (except when drinking/high, as explained) but more a routine. Or it became that way, as a result of my self-imposed rules.

The after breakfast one is proving the hardest for me. I think I could easily cut the other two out I'm still having (my after work and after dinner ones) but i have a real emotional attachment to the after breakky one. When you get down to one a day - and possibly even 2 or 3 - there is no question it's in your mind, not a physical addiction anymore.

The thing that I found the hardest about quitting was just that the physical act of smoking is just completely different to anything else. I mean, it's not eating, it's not drinking, it's smoking. It's kind of hard to replace with chewing a tooth pick or something.

I guess that chinese invention that hoptis posted would have helped a lot.

It did and that was partly why I wanted to stop.

Slm is all of your life as regimented as that or is smoking a one off?

I do now see how it would have been hard to break.

Funny, for me the toughest one or the smoke I miss most is the reward smoke.

Its the smoke I have after i have done the lawn or washed the car or finished a particularly tough job or even had the pangs today after getting home with my new printer and getting it all set up.

The rewards smoke is the one thats killing me.

MazDan said:
The rewards smoke is the one thats killing me.

Is that like the ciggy you have after great sex?? %) ;) Im not sure i could go without it either to tell you the truth ;)

MazDan said:
Slm is all of your life as regimented as that or is smoking a one off?

A lot of it is, sadly, yes. I tend to create myself routines and get very attached to them - shopping Saturday mornings, every Thursday night I'll plan out my whole meals for a week including snacks, have routines like a glass of wine/ crackers only Friday nights... I really hate anything sprung on me, will not answer a ringing phone.

Yeah I'm a bit Rainman. :|