Votes: 2 20.0%
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • ⭐️⭐️

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ⭐️

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Update on ol' boy that drank himself to death (the chess lover that didn't get a chance to watch this series - I know he woulda loved it).
RIP Captain Crusty 🕛
Will watch again for him.

When I first learned of this series I was almost positive it was about Judit Polgar (the best woman player in the history of chess). Some of the scenes in the trailer I believe were at least inspired by Polgar's autobiography and in interviews.

When I was a serious player I would also literally dream about chess. I would play games in my sleep. I would wake up and eat chess books for breakfast. I quit sports and would go home to play chess. Chess consumed my life. It became too much at one point and that's when I started using hard drugs.

I had the opportunity to play Judit Polgar in person at a simul. She whooped my ass. It was quite an honor to play and shake hands with one of the best players of all time.

I'll probably watch this series and give a comment when I finish. I haven't seen a good chess movie since Searching for Bobby Fischer. They usually don't get them right.

I think a lot of people don't understand how stressful, draining and intense professional chess can be. It's just a game... right? No. It's soooo much more than that. Especially when you play in tournaments for 10+ hours/day. It's physically draining and painful. It really is, even if that's hard to imagine. It takes A LOT out of you to exert yourself mentally for that long. There are a lot of well known chess players who lost their mind.... you could say that about any genius level person. Brilliancy and mental illness go hand in hand.

I just watched the first episode and holy shit...

This show is way better than I expected it to be. I relate so much to the main character and the chess scenes were way more realistic than I expected. They are playing actual moves and basic theory. Most chess movies get this wrong. I relate so much to this show I feel like I'm writing it myself. The only thing that doesn't make sense is that apparently she can do 4 move calculations blindfold but doesn't know basic chess notation yet which any 3 year old could learn in 30 seconds. This is the only unrealistic part of the episode. Not bad tho, most chess movies/shows I have 100000 complaints, this show is great.

The only thing that doesn't make sense is that apparently she can do 4 move calculations blindfold but doesn't know basic chess notation yet which any 3 year old could learn in 30 seconds.

Can't hate on someone for what they don't know. She learned the piece movements and goal from watching the janitor. Nobody ever said anything about chess notation, so she's ignorant on it, for now.

torrid dramas about drug addicted little girls!

despite being called by a fictitious name xanzolam, it's nembutal right?

my family (we all converged to my parents' less metropolitan city) and i started watching this two nights ago. two episodes in, it's enjoyable.

like My Brilliant Friend, it was difficult for the actress to change after growing attached, but the new one is good too so ok. praying mantis eyes and delivers sharp lines with a strange quiet.

Last edited:
Just started watching The Queen's Gambit. It's really good. Has like a 100% rating, and well deserved. This is the blurb for it:

When winning takes everything, what are you left with? The Queen’s Gambit follows a young chess prodigy’s rise from an orphanage to the world stage. But genius comes with a cost. A riveting adaptation of Walter Tevis’ groundbreaking novel comes to Netflix on October 23rd, starring Anya Taylor-Joy.

That's so funny, I sat down to watch an hour of QG and ended up binging the entire thing. Love that she had a hidden Opiate habit. Great show!

Spectacular. Maybe the best thing to come out of Netflix in quite some time. In fact, I watch it in one day.
Ever since I watch this girl (Anya-Taylor Joy) in Split, it seems to me that she has everything to become a mega-star. She has a charisma that I haven't seen for a long time.

despite being called by a fictitious name xanzolam, it's nembutal right?

Actually it's Chlordiazepoxide (aka Librium)

No idea this show was so popular. I've only just started. First episode was great.

No idea this show was so popular. I've only just started. First episode was great.
Wooohoo! You’ll love it! I’m literally watching it again for the third time. My son loves it also, I’ve fast forwarded certain bits obviously but he does play chess and now he’s actually reading the chess books I got him years ago. Fingers crossed!! Haha

Wooohoo! You’ll love it! I’m literally watching it again for the third time. My son loves it also, I’ve fast forwarded certain bits obviously but he does play chess and now he’s actually reading the chess books I got him years ago. Fingers crossed!! Haha

I was in chess club at school in the seventh grade. It was viewed as a nerdy thing then but I notice kids now aren't as judgmental, are they?