Votes: 1 10.0%
  • ⭐️⭐️

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ⭐️

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CFC

Bluelight Crew
Just started watching The Queen's Gambit. It's really good. Has like a 100% rating, and well deserved. This is the blurb for it:

When winning takes everything, what are you left with? The Queen’s Gambit follows a young chess prodigy’s rise from an orphanage to the world stage. But genius comes with a cost. A riveting adaptation of Walter Tevis’ groundbreaking novel comes to Netflix on October 23rd, starring Anya Taylor-Joy.

Just started watching The Queen's Gambit. It's really good. Has like a 100% rating, and well deserved. This is the blurb for it:

When winning takes everything, what are you left with? The Queen’s Gambit follows a young chess prodigy’s rise from an orphanage to the world stage. But genius comes with a cost. A riveting adaptation of Walter Tevis’ groundbreaking novel comes to Netflix on October 23rd, starring Anya Taylor-Joy.

Just finished it and it was amazing!!!!

Reactions: CFC
Just finished it and it was amazing!!!!

Hey Diz.. We have a little chess thing here too... kinda hoping it will take off a bit more. Consider checking it out. The platform is great and you can work on your game if you want to play.

Last edited:
Hey Diz.. We have a little chess thing here too... kinda hoping it will take off a bit more. Consider checking it out. The platform is great and you can work on your game if you want to play.

I can promote it on the forum ticker if you like?

Just finished the series. It was excellent, definitely one of Netflix's best.

Just finished the series. It was excellent, definitely one of Netflix's best.
I cried during the last episode! What a series I absolutely loved it! So much in fact I’ve stared watching it again!

Yes stayed up half the night watching it !!! Yes it’s great , I’m about half way thru 🎉💕🎉

• Heart
Got up to ep5 this weekend, likely finish by next weekend. Knew nothing of it heading into it beyond the Netflix blurb.

I'm assuming this wraps up in one season, not going to get milked for weaker follow-ups? Bah....I'll find out for myself. Enjoying it thoroughly thus far.

However, as I'm given with today's media, I'm watching for modern influences trumping era authenticity

Would they really have had interracial orphanages back in the early 60's? In KY? I'm seriously doubting that. Though, I very much liked Jolene in the early episodes and hope we reconnect later in the season. I did note when Beth was invited to the Apple Pi's one night, the house servant was black. I kinda expected some connection to be made by Beth, but none was made.

The sexism is played, but not overplayed, IMO. It existed, was a trademark of the era, but has it's place in this story. I appreciate her angst at the LIFE story covering her doing these things 'as a girl' as opposed to an individual.

Loved the houses, clothing, cars = all appear authentic to the era. Particularly liked seeing all the cigarette smoking, carefree drinking, lack of personal health awareness, and especially the planes :D I'm not sure if National airlines existed, but if so it is long gone.

Townes' role is odd. I've only gotten far enough to see Beth start to crush on him, then his male friend shows up giving the indication he's gay (or at least bi). I'm not saying there were no gay people in that era, but him showing himself as such is a 2020 influence, not a 1960's possibility, I don't think).

Didn't expect mom to wrap up so quickly, or how her character went. BUT it was very much in keeping with the times = a woman consigned to housewife, drinking and medicating, going loose when all else is lost, getting a disease that could do that to her. Apt, true to form, but fairly unexpected on my part.

That's as far as I've gotten.

I finished the series and thought it was okay, as a TV series they're kinda limited because it's a semi predictable coming of age story, but within those boundaries it was done well and quite enjoyable to watch since I like chess too.

Imo it was too 'feel good' without having the necessary depth needed to not feel guilty about it, it's a key issue for me and I probably focus too much on it....

Any other ladies think that Borgov was sexy as hell? Lol . Was awesome when she spoke Russian back to him later 😜

Finished the novel also and am pretty happy with how the series turned out due to it. I usually won’t read the book if I’ve seen the series first because it tends to ruin it for me but this is an exception for sure!

Finished the series....still a great watch, but I was honestly let down a bit in the end.

The reconnection with Jolene happened, to my delight. However, her role had evolved. The young fk-u to authority changed to 'working for the man', though she retained her older-sister type support of Beth. I don't know what I expected, but her return, while welcome, was less than I had wanted.

The big phone call in the end with 'the team' was nice, and felt good. However, it felt canned, like it was required for all programs :\

In hindsight, I realize I never understood her motivation. It wasn't to be the best, or beat the best. It was more like she simply got a bug and it worked through her system. Yeah, she was an intuitive marvel. Such minds exist, albeit rare. And, she dealt with her demons = mothers, drugs+alcohol. But when the closing scene had her simply walk away to play some random guy in a park....there was no sense of reaching her goal. It was just as though she were addicted to chess, and beating grand masters was a 'must do' just like beating average joe :\

Yeah, we watched this in two nights a week or two ago.
Found it awesome (the both of us).
Flip side:
A bud and former co-worker just recently went to hospital for serrocis of the liver that is life-threatening and diagnosed fatal. Drinking. Not eating. Same ol'. Reminds me of fuckin' fent in it's related deaths. Alcohol is just slower (imo) but just as fatal in real life.
In relation to topic: He was an avid studdier, professor and player. Pretty good but too slow for my likes. Not saying I'm any good but my game is aggressive and decisive.

Love the series and wish .there were more like it.
The power and beauty of woman-kind. May be fictional but nonetheless true.