• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The official No Limit Texas Hold 'Em thread

Negreanu, Ivey, Hanson and Harrington are my favorite players. Negreanu, Ivey, and Hanson because they are so sick at the aggressive/read people strategy, and Harrington because he plays super solid poker.

I guess I don't have any least favorites, all of those pros are very good in my opinion.

Yippee Skippy said:
You didn't call. You raised. But without stack sizes, I can't tell if he made a bad call or not.

Did you open-shove, or was there already $$ in the pot when you pushed?

Were you in the blinds? Or was the villain in the blinds?

Had the villain already raised and you went all-in over top of him? Or maybe he limped and you shoved?

Was it a cash game or tournament?

Also, depending on YOUR stack size, I'm not sure if shoving was the right move.

If you'd like more feedback on the hand, give us some more details.

But if all you really want is sympathy - yeah, that beat is the suck fer shur.

well..
the pot was 1/2 of my stack. prob around 20 dollars. blind was like 10 dollars.
me being short stack
yea sorry my misuse of terms.
he limped and i shoved in the tournament.

lastregrets said:
well..
the pot was 1/2 of my stack. prob around 20 dollars. blind was like 10 dollars.
me being short stack
yea sorry my misuse of terms.
he limped and i shoved in the tournament.

At that point then, shoving pocket kings is the only way to play. In fact, you probably should've been pushing much worse hands before you got so short.

I do feel for ya though. That was a horrific beat.

Pretty much in general, shoving KK is never bad w/12bb's or less.

Had a hand a few days ago where someone called me to the river with 76 high!

It's early in a big online tourney. I've got T2s and I figure to try to steal (I'm trying to play more aggressive early on, and either build a big stack or get knocked out early). Plus, it's Doyle's hand - you gotta play it ;)

So I raise 5xBB and get two callers. Flop comes K82 rainbow. I figure to push again, fold if I get raised, and see what comes on the turn if I get called. One guy calls, other folds.

Turn is another 2. I've got trips. I figure the chances that someone played their hand the way they have with 88 or KK or A2 (or Q2 or J2 or 82 or K2) is pretty low, so I must be ahead. I bet out again, he calls.

River is a 3. Again, no way he's still in the hand with 33. So I bet. He calls again, and shows 67s.

Not a terrible hand to start with, but by the river, the only hands he's beating are 75, 74, 65, 64 and 54. Now, I've heard of Stuey Ungar making a call like that, and being right, but this guy? double you tee eff? :D

did he make 4 to the flush on the turn? did you ask him what he was thinking?

sounds like he just had no idea what he was doing...

alasdair

alasdairm said:
did he make 4 to the flush on the turn? did you ask him what he was thinking?

sounds like he just had no idea what he was doing...

alasdair

Even if he had a 4 flush on turn, what's with the river call?

Alasdairm: good question, forgot to include that info.

On the flop he had 678 of hearts, so he had a theoretical chance of either a flush or a straight, but he missed both on the turn.

@YS: I guess he could have been calling for info, see how I played the hand. But pretty expensive info.

I really didn't take advantage, because I would have looked like a total donk to 90% of the table (like I would play any two suited cards); my table image would have been great because no-one would have taken me seriously if I'd had a real hand. But I donked most of it off, then tripled up when two guys went all in and I had KK, then lost it again in a QQ flip against AK. Such is life).

Relating to my previous scenario: anyone got advice on winning big online tourneys?

I play tight, and that means I almost always finish in the top half of the field, because so many people bust out early with nothing. And I quite often finish in the money, but I'm talking about finishing 30th or so and making a dollar or two. A few weeks ago I finished 11th and 12th in two games at the same time (we're talking 4000 entrants) but I made about $3.

How do I push on? (Or how do YOU push on?).

I tend to play tight, try to see cheap flops early on with suited and or connected cards, or low pairs, and get paid off if they hit. Value bet for the first two hours (because no-one will fold to a bluff). Try to double up with QQ, KK or AA against lower pairs or Ax. Then open up and attack with slightly less good hands (baby aces) and try to take blinds. But even so, I usually just get to the money, without much of a stack, and I end up having to go all-in with marginal hands, and hope.

Thoughts?

^ good question. i've won a couple of decent sized tourneys online - in one i beat around 300 and in another 700.

i tend to play super-tight at first. sometimes i just sit out for an hour or more to let all the craziness subside - people going all-in hand after hand after hand with nothing. that, or i'll pay attention to get a read on people and only move with huge hands.

once the idiots have been pruned out, i can start playing poker :)

once you get into the final 2 or 3 tables, you have to concentrate and play your game. also, you'll put yourself at a huge disadvantage if you don't have at least some idea of how others at your table are playing - make notes where you can. even in the early stages, if you notice something, write it down because you may face that player again later at the final table.

i've used that to my advantage a couple of times. i was down to 4 or so tables at a large tourney. the blinds were getting stealworthy and i kept raising in the small blind with any two cards to the guy to my left in the big blind. he was getting real frustrated about losing his big blind. i rarely show my cards but i showed him a couple of junk hands just to seal it.

he got moved but a little later we both ended up at the final table and he was sitting immediately to my left. luckily, i got a decent hand - say, QQ - and i raised. he said something like "finally caught you out" and raised all-in. he turned over pocket 10s and i put him out.

alasdair

a friend of mine is in the 2007 wsop. he made it through day 1 and has over 50k in chips (which apparently is an above average amount of chips).

his day 2 is today.

he's a very good player and is used to playing in fairly high stakes cash games(apparently one game he was involved in last week had 20k on the table).

i play in a weekly cash game myself, although the stakes are much lower.

the most a person could lose, unless they are on tilt and getting really stupid, is $100-ish.

i think i've developed some bad habits or something...

i used to win every week. but lately i've been losing more often.

either i'm losing my patience, or the ppl i'm playing with are getting better. or both.

i don't know.....lately i've been thinking i need to read a poker book or something.

i've been playing poker for about 24 years or so and i've never read a poker book. i didn't want to really as i've always felt very confident in my game and didn't want to "corrupt" my playing style by reading and emulating some1's elses style.

but lately i've been thinking maybe i need to step back and read a book and re-approach the game.........or something....

ClubbinGuido said:
Play me and I'll take your money.

Bring it.

stinkfoot said:
i used to win every week. but lately i've been losing more often.

either i'm losing my patience, or the ppl i'm playing with are getting better. or both.

i don't know.....lately i've been thinking i need to read a poker book or something.

i've been playing poker for about 24 years or so and i've never read a poker book. i didn't want to really as i've always felt very confident in my game and didn't want to "corrupt" my playing style by reading and emulating some1's elses style.

but lately i've been thinking maybe i need to step back and read a book and re-approach the game.........or something....

It could just be variance. It could also be others improving their games. Maybe they read a book? ;)

If you've been playing 24 years, a book won't corrupt you. It might just show you some things you've missed, and also (in my experience) it might explain why some things you've instinctually been doing for years work. Then you can make them even better!

Yippee Skippy said:
Bring it.

It could just be variance. It could also be others improving their games. Maybe they read a book? ;)

actually they do read books, or at least a few of the guys do. and they are definately getting better.

i think i need to stop trying to slow-play everything....that's my biggest problem i think.

anyway, i have a WSOP poker update concerning my friend that's in the tourney-

1. he made it through day 2a.
2. he has 170+k in chips
3. he's in the money (apparently guarenteed $20k)

according to another friend, who talked to my friend that's in the tournament, on day 2a they played down to 300 ppl. but according to the official webstie they played down to 350 ppl.

so either he's made it down to the final 600 or 700. assuming they play down to the same # of players on day 2b, which is today.

2007 wsop news
phill hellmuth wins his record-breaking 11th bracelet.
jamie gold eliminated from main event on day 1
alasdair

alasdairm said:
2007 wsop news spoiler=2007 wsop

alasdair

God Damn it! The nice Spoiler thing you took time to make showed up as text in my notification email.

LOL Jamie Gold! :p

update:

1. my buddy made it through day 3. he's got over 700k in chips which appears to be in the top 30 players overall.

2. he was at the same table as montel williams the 1st day, my buddies' buddy, who's isn't in the tournament, was apparently trying to talk montel into going and getting high with him during the break or dinner. montel declined.

Last edited:
stinkfoot said:
my buddies' buddy, who's isn't in the tournament, was apparently trying to talk montel into going and getting high with him during the break or dinner. montel declined.

Smokin' out w/Montel?
SHIP IT!!!!! That's as good as bluffing Matusow and then showing!

I'm rootin' for your anonymous buddy anonymously!

2 days ago a friend of mine told me that HIS buddy was doin' well in the Main Event too. How many degrees of seperation = a payday for me?

In Skippy news...
I took a whoopin' Monday and Tuesday, losing about 1/2 my roll. Every fucker hit their flush when I had a set. Didn't matter what I bet, they chased incorrectly! Too bad my landlord doesn't take Sklansky bucks - I'd be paid up 'til September!

I have a DJ gig coming up Saturday (see North American Social Events, ahem...) and I had to basically rebuild my computer for it, so that's kept me occupied. I got in a little real low stakes shit yesterday ($10NL) and ran really well and played a little $20NL this morning, did ok there too. I'm playing live tomorrow morning for a bit, so hopefully I get the ship righted soon.

stinkfoot said:
1. my buddy made it through day 3. he's got over 700k in chips which appears to be in the top 30 players overall.
day 4 is down to 337 players so sounds like he's doing really well - maybe we'll see him on tv :)

even if he goes out today, he'll earn a decent payout. i found the payout schedule at the world series web site yesterday but can't find it today...

interesting to note that there were nearly 2000 fewer players in the main event this year than last year. i'd love to play in the main event but it is something of a lottery. there are plenty of smaller events at the world series which can net a bracelet and a very nice payday.

finally, i saw a couple of early events on espn last night so their broadcast has started.

alasdair

update:

1. my buddy has lost about 400K in chips. he's down to around 300k now. he appears to be a little below midpack as far as the # of players left. not sure about the average chip stack, although i'm pretty sure he's below the average.

2. there are currently around 250 ppl left and the payout is @ around $39,000.