• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The official No Limit Texas Hold 'Em thread

Hi guys.

I have been playing poker online for about a month now, and doing ok. Mostly coming 3rd or 4th, the odd 2nd/1st. This is on $6 no limit sit-n-gos on PP.

My game suffers from my lack of knowledge of poker theory. I have yet to read any books on poker, because our Australian libraries and bookshops are woefully inadequate.

Background out of the way, here is a scenario. 3 people left, blinds are 400/800, you have 3000 in your stack. You are big blind. Player on the button folds, small blind pushes all in. You have QJo. Would you call?

Fallen1 said:
Background out of the way, here is a scenario. 3 people left, blinds are 400/800, you have 3000 in your stack. You are big blind. Player on the button folds, small blind pushes all in. You have QJo. Would you call?

What's his stack?

What's your read on him? (loose/tight?)

If his stack is small, he should be pushing anything, so you might be ahead of his range.

There's an equation that you can use to figure out your equity in that hand. Basically you put him on a range of cards he'd push there, figure out the odds of you winning if you call and how much it's worth to you cash-wise if you win.

It's explained in one of the Harrington on Hold 'Em books. You really oughta get 'em. Amazon has them - don't know about the Australian version, but you should check it out.

Fallen1: try Amazon, as Yippee said. I don't know where you are, but Borders in Sydney (George St) has a great selection of poker books.

In your position, I call. Three players left, you only have 3.5 times the big blind. If you fold, you can only play 6 more hands before you're blinded off. There's a fairly high chance that QJ is the best hand you will see in those 6 hands. You're probably an underdog here, but I think it's the best chance you will have.

(In his position, I'm either going all-in or folding, regardless of my stack size. Reason: I figure anyone as short-stacked as you won't just flat call, they will go all-in if they have any kind of hand at all. So my chips are going in the middle no matter what. Ergo, I should make the raise myself, if I have a hand, and fold if I don't. Obviously, if SB is short-stacked he has to jam with anything, but if he's big stacked, I think he's raising with a wide range of hands. Of course, you'd need to think about what read you had on him).

Side note: came back from 260th out of about 300 (of 1200 starters) to finish 8th in a 7-Stud tourney last night. Quite pleased with that.

alright got a question did i make the right call and could you have gotten away from this hand? to set up the scene i'm at a 1-2 no limit table where the max buy at a time is $100 you can rebuy up to $100 at anytime. the table is lose full of donkeys probably... one of the worst i've ever sat at. after about 5 hours i'm up right around $480 for a $580 stack the next biggest stack is $130.

i'm in the big blind look down at 5/7 off suit there's 5 limpers (8 person table)

flop comes up A/5/7 rainbow

I'm first to act i lead out $15 into a $12 dollar, next guy re-raises to 60, player 3 calls $60, player 4 goes all in for $110, player 5 folds, player 6 goes all in for $130...

what the fuck do i do? at this time i'm capped at what i;m going to have to put in the pot neither of the two playes behind me have more then $70 left. i'm looking at almost 4 to 1 pot odds when i dont have to put anymore money in so my losses are capped. i'm working through the hand and to tell you the truth the only hand i'm scared of is if some one got cute and went all in with rockets. what throws me is all the action. i can see taking a stab at the pot but how do you re-raise and call without an ace? i know trip 5's, or 7's or A/5 or A/7 is a possibility but odds are so far against them with all the cards that are gonna. i say i'm probably beat but i have to call ( i know thats not the best etiquite with two players still to act which i did apoligise for) next two folded.

first all-in had poket kings, 2nd had pocket rockets funny thing is the guy who called the 2nd raise to 60 had pocket jacks to which my comment was with jacks, kings and aces how in the hell am i even in this hand

sorry for the rambling but i just got home and am a little tipsy. hit the captin's after 3 horrible hands in a row... i never drink when i play. so considering pot odds 4 :1 and i'm playing with there money (even if i lose i'm still up $280 for my $100 initall buy) could you have layed that hand down?

that was the first of three horrible hands in a row i'll telll them on my next post just to bitch. i'd like to her opinions on this hand.

alright so very next hand i'm in the small blind the girl raise it to 15 every folds to me i have kings i reraise to 45 see goes all in for 25 more for a total of 70 pocket kings vs aces bad timing

after the 2 hands i'm as close to being on tilt as i get. i really dont get mad at the table as long as i make the right play in my mind or get out played it doesnt bother me. so literally this is the 3 hand in a row. there's a bunch of limps... i'm really not paying attention which i never do i look down on the button at A/7 suited normally a hand i dont play but being on the button wtf. flop comes up A/7/2 rainbow a couple of checks donkey goes all-in for 90. i actually laugh out loud. and ask how am i getting beat this time? call A/7 vs A/J... runner runner Q,Q. shit couldn't he have at least hit the jack?

i chuckle and say thats poker. a guy even asked me "thats three hands in a row dont you get made at anything?" my only response was" nope anger and poker don't mix it'll only hurt ya" collected my $180 in profits and left to get drunk and bitch to me friends. which none answer my calls so i'm posting here.

kick in the dick was for once i played reall good poker for 5 hours. hit no big hands. didnt play bad cards or chase hands. stabbed at the pot grinded it out huge. 3 hands most of it gone. still a good night though.

Honestly, I fold there. You have bottom 2 pr and either one can be counterfeited easily. A few of the guys all say they've got you beat. And if they don't now, one of 'em very well might by river.

But at least you don't have to play the rest of the hand out-of -position if you call!

fozzy nutz said:
i chuckle and say thats poker. a guy even asked me "thats three hands in a row dont you get made at anything?" my only response was" nope anger and poker don't mix it'll only hurt ya" collected my $180 in profits and left to get drunk and bitch to me friends. which none answer my calls so i'm posting here.

Nice hand, sir.

Yippee Skippy said:
Honestly, I fold there. You have bottom 2 pr and either one can be counterfeited easily. A few of the guys all say they've got you beat. And if they don't now, one of 'em very well might by river.

But at least you don't have to play the rest of the hand out-of -position if you call!

those thoughts rolled trew my mind but thing was the thing was i was getting 4 to 1 pot odds with a chance for 6 to 1 with no chance of having to put another dime in the pot

fozzy nutz said:
those thoughts rolled trew my mind but thing was the thing was i was getting 4 to 1 pot odds with a chance for 6 to 1 with no chance of having to put another dime in the pot

Yeah, that's true too. Calling wouldn't have been wrong really, and you had the bonus of not having to make any more decisions too. I just play more tournaments, where survival is more important. But if the table was as horrible as you were saying, I probably call too!

Where was this, if ya don't mind me asking?

In most live games I have played in I notice if you have top pair top kicker in a raised pot it IS the nuts. In a limped pot it becomes a lot more difficult. With a re-raise and a push before your action I think I would drop bottom 2 which I have learned a lot of people overevalue. You were ahead in the situation so you made the right read but at a lot of times I will fold this.

The second hand is diferent, with top 2 I am very willing to stick it in, especially in a live donk game.

Oh and you probably shouldnt be limping 57o even if the table is full of donks. Suited might be a different story but your odds of hitting any real strong hand is slim to none. 49 to 1 of pairing both whole cards, which still doesnt even give you that strong of a hand as seen.

^ hey - you live near the bay area? have you ever played at artichoke joe's in south san francisco or the oaks card club in emeryville?

alasdair

i just got killed last night in a home poker game.

i went all in with pocket Kings.
other person called with QJ suited hearts.
Flop was K 3 6 rainbow. 6 was hearts.
then turn was 4 of hearts
he ended up getting the flush. river was 5 of hearts.

did i make a bad move?

Last edited:
lastregrets said:
i went all in with pocket Kings....

did i make a bad call?

You didn't call. You raised. But without stack sizes, I can't tell if he made a bad call or not.

Did you open-shove, or was there already $$ in the pot when you pushed?

Were you in the blinds? Or was the villain in the blinds?

Had the villain already raised and you went all-in over top of him? Or maybe he limped and you shoved?

Was it a cash game or tournament?

Also, depending on YOUR stack size, I'm not sure if shoving was the right move.

If you'd like more feedback on the hand, give us some more details.

But if all you really want is sympathy - yeah, that beat is the suck fer shur.

lastregrets said:
i just got killed last night in a home poker game.

i went all in with pocket Kings.
other person called with OJ suited hearts.
Flop was K 3 6 rainbow. 6 was hearts.
then turn was 4 of hearts
he ended up getting the flush. river was 5 of hearts.

did i make a bad call?
as yippee skippy says, you didn't call, you bet.

i'm not sure what 'O' is but i presume OJ is QJ?

it's hard to calculate the exact odds without knowing which cards were folded but the odds were:

after the flop
you: 94%
him: 6%

after the turn
you: 84%
him: 16%

the numbers were definitely on your side and i'm not sure i would have played it any differently. some hands you're just going to lose...

alasdair

^
The only reason I can see for not playing it that way, is that the opponent might have folded. If you have KK and the opponent has QJ suited, you are a huge, huge favourite preflop. You want to be called by QJ, every time. You want their money in the pot. Of course you'll lose, sometimes. That's poker. My only thought, in hindsight: you might have won the hand if you'd raised preflop (but not all-in) and then bet out on the flop - opponent would have had to have folded, and you'd have won a smaller pot.

I'm also interested where fozzy nutz plays that people limp with JJ, KK and AA =D

who are your favourite pro players to watch? least favourite?

i'm a big fan of phil hellmuth - the woe-is-me dramatics sometimes get a bit much but i love to watch him play. i also have a huge amount of respect for allen cunningham - his instincts are great and he's a total professional too.

among my least favourite people to watch are mike matusow and jamie gold. i don't think mike matusow is a particularly talented poker player and his constant whining doesn't help.

i don't think jamie gold is the luckiest player ever - i give him respect for getting ahead in the main event and holding it for days. that said, the tv edit showed he caught a sick run of cards and on more than one occasion he was made to look like a total amateur by, among others, allen cunningham. jamie gold's table manners are abysmal - he talks inappropriately during hands when he really should know when to keep quiet and, to me, he lacks any class or professionalism whatsoever.

some recent main event winners have gone on to show their win was not a one-off - raymer and hachem come to mind. i think gold will fade into obscurity.

the main event starts at the rio on july 6th - i wonder how many people will play this year...

alasdair

alasdairm said:
who are your favourite pro players to watch? least favourite?

Layne Flack - favorite. He's a TOTAL goofball and pretty darned good at poker too.

Honorable Mention - or at least "Good Guy To Watch Award" is George Danzer, the swell German fella who just got donked out of last year's WSOP by Dmitri Nobles. What a class act he was against a donkey of EPIC proportions!

Least favorite? Well, Dmitri Nobles and Jamie Gold immediately come to mind, but I think they're just 1-Hit-Wonders we'll hear less and less from in the future.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Matusow - just 'cause he's kind of a tragic figure in a way, and he's been a flawed human (like us all) that just keeps comin' back no matter what. I totally understand why others might not like him, but him not caring about that is part of why I dig him. Plus, all the other pros seem to genuinely like him. Every group needs a mascot- or a Matusow!

Negreanu.
And Donacha O'Dea is kinda a cult folk hero in my house after we watched him come from behind a couple of times.
I've read bios of Stuey Ungar and Amarillo Slim, and they both strike me as interesting people to be around - though maybe not long term.