the official debate thread: no holds barred-> which genre sux/rules?

to me electronic music is about pushing boundaries and creating new sounds. i have heard very little house that is doing either of those things. true, much of what we now listen to has its roots in house, but all that means is that its evolved from house. now which is better, that which has evolved, or that which is the same?

Psytrance/Goa Trance is stagnant music. Every track I've heard uses ideas and sounds that the rest of the world got bored with and moved on from in 1994. I laughed at people that went on about it then, and I'm laughing at you now Psyion.
Complex? Layering of sound does not make something complex...convoluted melodies do not make something complex...'weird ambient squeaky noises' do not make something complex...they just make it noisy. Complex is music that has been skillfully produced, engineered and mastered - it can consist of few or many sounds, but if they are just put one on top of the other then they have little value. Complex is music that contains something new (a sound or idea), rather than recycle something old and tired.
Try this experiment;
Attach two radios to your head (one to each ear). Tune one to a classical music station for complex melody, tune the other to random AM static for 'weird ambient squeaky noises', and then go stand on the overpass of a busy motorway for layered sound.
I would rather do this than listen to goa trance.
(insert smiley face here)
[This message has been edited by basic (edited 19 July 2000).]

I'll check it when I get home from work Yashu...and I'll post some techno RA links for you to check out. Meanwhile, you could do worse than to check the ones in the music FAQ post I made...

hey.... plastikman
that was exactly who I was thinking of when I was talking about "plastic" techno....

See you don't understand psytrance Basic.
To you it seems like random layering, and random background noises. Trust me, its not random, it fits together like a puzzle. It used to sound convoluted to me too until a few years later it started making sense.
Now its pure genius and don't assume psytrance hasn't evolved since 94. I'm sure you don't follow the music enough to make that assumption.

Okay....I'll admit I don't listen to a lot of psytrance, but I bet I know a lot more about it than you seem to do about minimal 'garbage for simple ears' techno.
Anyway, give me a couple of names / tracks and I'll go check them out. RA samples are good...

I think a lot of you people need to get over yourselves already. Electronic music is NOT all about "pushing new boundaries, blah blah blah bullshit bullshit". It's about making music with electronic instruments. THAT'S IT!!!
And Mr Yashu, I suggest you pick up Shpongle - Are You Shpongled? if you want to hear a VERY un-"plastic" piece of music made by none other than Hallucinogen himself.

BT on "Trance"
It's turned into this kind of Nazi, high-five, white guy music," BT told MoS. "It's like melodic gabba. Some of the stuff around is diabolical. I'm just not a fan. You start getting up to 150 bpms and I need to sit down. I think ATB is the worst fucking shit on the entire planet. I would rather listen to only Backstreet Boys for the rest of my life - it's unforgivable."
Anyone else find this funny? And I agree with Stan C, there is not much boundary pushing going on unless you've just started listening in the past two years. Even D&B, which I love, is stagnant these days. Its stuck in a two-step heavy metal "wormhole".

Complex is music that contains something new (a sound or idea), rather than recycle something old and tired.
I suggest you look up the word "complex" in your dictionary, bub, because what you said here has absolutely dick-all to do with being complex. Actually, I'll save you the effort:
Main Entry: 1com·plex
Pronunciation: 'käm-"pleks
Function: noun
Etymology: Late Latin complexus totality, from Latin, embrace, from complecti
Date: 1643
1 : a whole made up of complicated or interrelated parts

2. Involved or intricate, as in structure; complicated.
Its all a question of semantics though, isn't it?

Armand Van Helden -
Trance! They're over there, in England, poisoning their own country, and they want to bring it over here. They totally want to infiltrate America, to get every 15 year-old American kid fucked up on E so that he does'nt even know how shit the music is! So me? I'm gonna be the antidote. The reality check."
-Muzik 06
These are hilarious.

The most complex psy-trance I have ever heard:
Pleiadians - "Family Of Light"
Particularly tracks 1, 3 and 4. I could listen to this album for the next 10 years and STILL not be able to pick out every single twist, turn and nuance of sound.
Some of you tech-heads might actually be able to appreciate some of the stuff put out by X-Dream, especially their last album, "Radio" and their side project Children Of Paradise - "Urban Alien".

Armand Van Helden is one to talk, he is after all, the one who gave us the utter piece of shit called "Flowerz", isn't he?

For the record, posting those quotes doesn't automatically mean I agree. "Flowerz" is a peice of shit. "Necessary Evil" OTH is a good track.
[This message has been edited by PhysicalGraffiti (edited 19 July 2000).]

Yes, I say 'bub'. In my spare time, I'm none other than Wolverine, don'tcha know?
smile.gif

And like I said, being "complex" has NOTHING to do with containing new sounds or ideas or whatever.

Okay Mr. Pedantic, lets take the quote in context instead of focusing in on the last part...
Complex is music that has been skillfully produced, engineered and mastered - it can consist of few or many sounds, but if they are just put one on top of the other then they have little value. Complex is music that contains something new (a sound or idea), rather than recycle something old and tired.
I was not trying to re-define 'complex' as music that contains something new. I was saying that involved, complicated music does not come about when you re-hash tired old sounds and slap them on top of each other. As I said later: that is just noise.
Now behave yourself before I set Sabretooth on you....Bub.

Whatever
I'm going to go listen to some "noise"...
if it's okay with you.
smile.gif

The shitfest continues. I have to say though.....so far it has been pretty civil. An amazing amount of posts though! Apparently alot of folks like to argue. Sorry Psykosis.....i created a monster with ur help. I apologize!
- J Flip -
------------------
"If it ain't bout some JUNGLE, then it ain't bout me!"