• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

the nfl 11-12 playoff picture prediction thread

Big Ben might not have thrown a TD pass in three weeks, but back-up QB Charlie Batch did throw a TD pass against the Rams two weeks ago. check your stats. and think about it. the reason why the WR's stats have been so low is because Big Ben is hobbled. Big Ben has been playing with injuries that would take pretty boy Tom Brady out for an entire season

speaking of stats, the Steelers are back to being considered the Number One Defense in the NFL ;) I was very happy to hear that stat today this morning on ESPN

regardless, I'm nervous about my Steelers going back to the Super Bowl, despite their top-ranked defense. the Steelers have failed to make it the SB with far less injured teams and for more talented teams. however, Big Ben is 10-3 in the post-season

actually, I will defer a SB appearance only to beat the Patriots twice in one season. that would make my NFL season so very sweet, my only regret would be that I wish I still lived in Boston for such a Bean-town debacle

wild-card round
det @ no
cin @ hou
pit @ den
atl @ nyg

100 percent confident on all picks except ATL VS NYG

DET@NO
cin@HOU
PIT@DEN
ATL@NYG

GO 49ERS. I DONT THINK WE WILL MAKE IT TO THE SUPERBOWL BUT IF WE BEAT THE SAINTS I WOULD CONSIDER THAT A SUCCESSFUL SEASON

Big Ben might not have thrown a TD pass in three weeks, but back-up QB Charlie Batch did throw a TD pass against the Rams two weeks ago. check your stats. and think about it.
incorrect.

your team scored three rushing touchdowns that day: john clay (rush for 10 yards); rashard mendenhall (rush for 1 yard); isaac redman (rush for 2 yards)

what's the difference between the best wr corp. in football that doesn't catch touchdowns and just another wr corp.? answers on a postcard...

:)

alasdair

i like how you quoted me and still called me by my name

nice gesture?

and here's my picks

houston, giants, lions, steelers
i'm classy, you see.

if you put your picks in the same format as everybody else, i'll add them up and add them to a table of cumulative scores when time comes.

alasdair

Most of my Giant fans friends think they are going to lose, and I can't really argue with that, although I definitely think that they have a shot at it. They also were saying that they were going to lose to the Cowboys, so I was joking around with them saying the were like Randy Quaid in Major League.

randy-quaid-major-league.jpg

"They're gonna blow it in the playoffs." ;)

I hope they prove my friends wrong, but my hopes aren't that high.

Last edited:
why don't giants have a chance?

is it 'hip' not to have faith in your successful team?

those guys have been there before

and this is the nfl

i think they beat falcons with ease

Classic nervous reverse psychology from you Tommy. Home field advantage is huge for this one. I can see the Giants front 4 causing mayhem and winning by 7 points. Should be a great game

I'm picking the Giants to win, due to Eli having been there before and like I said before - I am a HUGE fan of their D-line. those guys would make great Steelers :)

although I will be rooting for Matty Ice, because once again, we've met a couple times when I lived in Boston and is a great dude. this game does mean so much more for Matt Ryan. if he loses against the G-Men, he will be 0-3 in the NFL Playoffs. I'm not saying that is enough for the Falcons to consider other options at QB, because we all know even the Falcons are blessed with at least an above-average QB, but...

your team scored three rushing touchdowns that day: john clay (rush for 10 yards); rashard mendenhall (rush for 1 yard); isaac redman (rush for 2 yards)

what's the difference between the best wr corp. in football that doesn't catch touchdowns and just another wr corp.? answers on a postcard...

and I do have good reasons again for this. the STL Rams have the worst rushing defense in the league, and Big Ben was completely out that game, while a 37-year old back-up QB took over the reigns. and he did have a good game, for a back-up QB, accumulating over 250 yards and getting Mike Wallace an approximate 100 yd game

so ali, are you just going to play the usual contrary card or can you give me a better WR corps than Pittsburgh?

I say corps, because I do realize that there are better single-performers like say, Calvin Johnson?

not many teams come close, in my opinion... but I'd like to see your opinions first

...while a 37-year old back-up QB took over the reigns. and he did have a good game, for a back-up QB, accumulating over 250 yards and getting Mike Wallace an approximate 100 yd game
you said he threw a touchdown to a receiver. he did not.
I say corps, because I do realize that there are better single-performers like say, Calvin Johnson?

not many teams come close, in my opinion... but I'd like to see your opinions first
there's no point, j.

football fans the world over, along with the league itself and every major sports network on the planet have a way of objectively measuring this kind of stuff: receiving statistics. it's an objective measure that allows us to remove the rose-coloured team spectacles we tend to wear and it's the only meaningful objective measure we have.

when i try to discuss your claims using that measure you just dismiss it as "just stats".

you're a loyal steelers fan and i respect that but you can't discuss your claim objectively so there's no point.

on to the wild-card week. will your wr corp. receive their first touchdown in 4 weeks against denver?

alasdair

Last edited:
Peyton Manning went 0-4 in his first 4 playoff games. Even if Matt Ryan loses this one he'll be fine.

Classic nervous reverse psychology from you Tommy. Home field advantage is huge for this one. I can see the Giants front 4 causing mayhem and winning by 7 points. Should be a great game

I prefer the Giants playing on the road, although their fans finally came through in the Dallas game to give some motivation. I guess that against some "dome teams," I would rather the Giants be at home against them, but Eli and most of the team are road warriors. Their superbowl run a few years back was done on the road.

I'm picking the Giants to win, due to Eli having been there before and like I said before - I am a HUGE fan of their D-line. those guys would make great Steelers :)

Their D-line is insane. Last weeks game against Dallas was the first time that they played together in a while, and I think the O-line had not played together in a long time until that game either. I like JPP lining up as a tackle if Tuck and Yumenyora are both in the game, since JPP has that ridiculous wingspan making him dangerous against both the pass (rushing and batting down throws) and the run (that mofo can wrap a runner up anywhere in his vicinity). Hmmm, am I talking myself into changing my pick?

neither the patriots or the steelers are going to the superbowl

I'm sure they appreciate the fuck out of that 1 seed. Patriots didn't have 1 win against a team that ended the year with a winning record.

I prefer the Giants playing on the road, although their fans finally came through in the Dallas game to give some motivation. I guess that against some "dome teams," I would rather the Giants be at home against them, but Eli and most of the team are road warriors. Their superbowl run a few years back was done on the road.

And they had some great wins on the road but equally shitty losses at home this year. In the playoffs though you want every advantage possible, especially the way that animal front 4 played last week. If the Falcons dont use Michael Turner a lot, Matty Ice could end up on the receiving end of some big JPP hits very quickly.

det @ no
cin @ hou
pit @ den
atl @ nyg

changed cin/hou pick

Last edited:
Good for the Texans, This adds a little salt to the cowboys wounds, which btw are no longer the most popular team in the NFL. Even moreso after today, im sure.

I hate the Texans because I still remember the days of the AFC Central - with Cleveland and the Houston Oilers being hated rivalries. I even almost forgot about this hate until they flashed former Oilers Coach Bum Phillips and his mug on the screen, totally brought back memories

sucks for the Bengals, I didn't see Dalton throwing up this many INTs but that Texans defense is pretty damn good

this is actually better for my team. I would rather have the lowest seed, which means if my Steelers get past this weekend then they travel to NE instead of Baltimore. I'm not scared of Baltimore, I would just rather be at my healthiest when my team faces off against them, in what seems like the 8th AFC Championship in a row

Despite a Bengals 1-and-done, they are legit with an awesome draft coming up. I will grant you that your steelers play in the best division in football. Having 3 teams from a division make the playoffs is damn impressive.

I would be worried about the Steelers going forward. They have been good for a while, which has caused them to pick from non-elite talent in the draft for a decade+. None of the teams in their division are total pushovers, I suspect the Steelers will not be benefiting from first round byes in the playoffs for quite some time.

As for the Lions/Saints game, I would rather not face the saints in teh divisional round. However I also dislike Jim Swarts, and would love to see him lose his first playoff game as a head coach.

Win/win honestly.

the Steelers never get first round byes, but any Steelers fan knows they draft phenomenally well. Big Ben was a late pick. Mike Wallace was a late pick. hell, James Harrison wasn't even drafted. add their Draft Day prowess plus a usually great coaching staff, and it's why they are successful and have been successful

however, I am also nervous about the Playoffs for my team. like I said, I've seen healthier Steelers teams, and more talented Steelers teams make it to the SB

that being said, all Pitt needs is to make it in the Playoffs. they are a threat to make the Big Game any year they are in the Playoff picture