• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

The Neuroscience and Pharmacology Quick Question Thread

That's important in nations where Markush structures are used to decide if a compound is legal.

dont know the meaning of markush structure. but in germany 5/6-Apb is restricted under the NPSG as a ring substituted 2-PEA and therefor is only legal for scientific use.

I have never seen a naturally occurring spiro compound either, but its existence can't be ruled out.

What do you mean by 'spiro'? I mean, isn't amemonin a 'spiro' compound that is natural?

Nature performs some spectacular chemistry.

1-phenyl-2-boraneyl-propane.png

Is Boron At All Bioisosteric To Nitrogen? And Is It Toxic?

Fertile,

A spiro compound:

Spiro[3,5]nonane.png

SPIRO[3,5]NONANE

These Spiro Compounds, In Relation To Medicinal Chemistry,, Seem Shockingly Useless. The Only Exception I Can Think Of Which Already Has Not Been Mentioned Yet Is Buspar (buspirone), an anti anxiety med not nearly as effective as the benzodiazepines, if it can even be said to be any part effective.

Last edited:
I have never seen a naturally occurring spiro compound either, but its existence can't be ruled out.

answer from a fb group:

I've seen it in some diterpenoids eg spiro-diterpenes from natural origin if that helps

so they are there it seems.

Last edited:
Spirograterpene A. But I'm still slightly curious as to what a 'spiro' compound is meant to be, in this discussion. A quaternary carbon that is part of 2 rings? I mean, that's roughly the definition I was given.

We could do with a glossary - although to be fair, even Wiki does a reasonable job. I mean, never use Wiki as your sole source, but it's a very quick rough & ready list of terms used in chemistry.

If the definition of spiro requires 2 cyclohexyls, then my last post is rubbish. Fixed, I deleted the incorrect postings. And also I do apologize for the human error. My bad.

Last edited:
That's what I was afraid of. For some reason, I'm having real trouble naming spiro-di-cyclohexane, so I used methyls.

Fixed, it's pretty much like naming bicyclic compounds, except that you start with the smallest ring and then go to the biggest ring when numbering and naming. EZ

spiro-[5,5]-undecane.png

spiro-[5,5]-undecane

Strangely,, I Have Not Thought Of A Single Novel Spiro Drug To Post. Question: Is PCP phencyclidine a spiro compound, or just pseudo spiro? If it weren't for its Nitrogen it would be spiro but not active.

Last edited:
Reactions: izo
'A molecule containing two or more rings in which the adjoined rings share exactly one atom'

So it need not be saturated nor composed of carbon atoms only.

The numbering is something that requires me to use pencil and paper. It's IUPAC naming is not intuitive.

Oh I can do it without a video, but it's going FROM IUPAC to image that means I break out pen and paper.

so they are there it seems.

so i just stumpled upon a natural occuring spiro comound just one day after asking the question.

Yes - references actually say they are common in nature. Now that's an interesting insight into the biochemistry. Nature still has the greatest set of reactions available.

Reactions: izo
interesting observation. hhc when smoke with tabacco needs longer than the usual d9-thc for full receptor binding, rather an anomaly, it has to do with the particular binding of the pentyl group into the pocket, the desalkyl derivate acts instantly.

now when you vape pure hhc in a bubble it also acts instantly, no idea why. as said with tabacco it needs longer than d9-thc even. anybody got an idea?