Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The Mullaway Man Busted

Verybuffed

Bluelighter
NSW Police raid 'medicinal marijuana crop'

Police have raided the property of a man who openly distributes marijuana as a medical aid.

More than 200 plants and a quantity of cannabis were seized last Thursday from the home of Mullaways Medical Cannabis, at Crescent Head on the NSW north coast, a police spokeswoman said.

The company, run by 56-year-old Tony Bower, breeds a specific strain of the plant which Mr Bower makes into an extract and gives for free to more than 300 patients.

Mr Bower was issued a court attendance notice for the cultivating an indictable quantity of a prohibited plant and supplying a prohibited drug.

But Mr Bower said he has always been transparent with police and government authorities are aware of his operation and what he does.

"I have worked tirelessly to try to please people in government but continue to be treated with disrespect," Mr Bower said in a statement sent to ninemsn.

"I know that I can help and even heal people with my medicine, a medicine that doesn't get people stoned."

Mr Bower dubbed last week's raid "a new low" for NSW police.

"Through the confiscation of this medical cannabis crop, the NSW police have deprived many Australians their medicine," the statement read.

"It is a form of discrimination against sufferers of chronic illness and pain who need this medicine."

Each plant is labelled for specific patients, who are required to provide letters of support from their doctors in order to receive the drug.

Mr Bower is due to appear in court on April 16.

He can apply for an exemption from the charges if he can prove in court he grows cannabis for medical use, a police spokeswoman said.

However, there is no law specifically allowing the use of medicinal marijuana in Australia.

Medicinal marijuana is sometimes used to relieve pain and nausea in patients with cancer, HIV, migraines or spinal cord injuries.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8437668/nsw-police-raid-medicinal-marijuana-crop

It will be interesting to see how this one turns out.

Thats pretty messed up, the dudes been around for years. I've seen him interviewed on the news before and he was completely open about what he does and the police have always left him alone and he had informed them all when he sees them.

If only this would spark laws for medical Cannabis, seeing as Australia is so lenient on recreational Cannabis use and is full of stoners.

Hes going down thats for sure :S Medical use or not the government sees no exceptions.

Definately sucks ass they arrested this dude, I really don't see who they can argue he is harming but at the same time this was probably inevitable. Hopefully he gets off pretty light, I reckon there is a good chance he will, really sucks for his patients too as now they may not have access to their medicine.

If only this would spark laws for medical Cannabis, seeing as Australia is so lenient on recreational Cannabis use and is full of stoners.
it's about time we had this debate in australia, isn't it?
to be honest i'm amazed he's gotten away with his wonderful work for so many years. the cops love an easy target - there must have been a policy of tolerance somewhere in the force for him to have operated for such a long time.
i remember the first time i heard about him, getting a really bad feeling about him being a martyr for a really marginalised cause - and that was years ago.

good luck, mullaway man, you're a fucking legend mate. an honour to this godforsaken country!

What an awesome dude,

There should be a movement for giving away cannabis, as more people who use it and share it freely with no financial gain, will make non believer enforcers think twice for sure.

As it is exterminating their argument for criminals using weed as a source of money which unregulated always leads to crime. I even resorted to petty thefts as a teenager due to having my allowance totally cut, because my mum knew it was going straight to illegal dealers and didn't want me getting involved with bad people. However this did the opposite and I started doing even more illegal things.

So I say give your bud away when you can. Now that I am in a much better position, I always shout small amounts to mates who already smoke for free when they are low on $$. I think for one it brings me karma as a bi product. However the main reason is I don't see smoking the herb in moderation as anything wrong and I am not a weed dealer but just spreading gods love. Also along with LSD if I think the person is ready for it.

These are adults though that already consume substances. I definitely would not recommend going to high school and handing out sticks like flyers for a dance party..

The only thing with giving a lot is you have to be rich enough to give, and giving away weed on a grand scale like this man takes some dedication and heavy risk, but the more we give and share weed around freely and not hide it so it is just so bountiful that dealers can't make huge profits is a step towered legalization. Hiding it in secrecy and selling it at marked up inflated prices will almost always help keep it illeagal. One it gives the dealers max profit and it also makes it look bad in the eyes of a lot straighter people who have never enjoyed a quiet cannabis high.

If we all walked outside all over the world at exactly the same time and lit up spliff in the most public of places, I sure they couldn't arrest everyone and anyways, I take another caution for a good cause.

SpiritFolk Unite!

^ even if he is the victim of injustice, he might be the catalyst we need to start a sane, mature debate about this.
it seems that "medical marijuana" is the gateway to cannabis acceptance amongst the general population.
while a lot of people class pot smokers as lazy bums or druggies gambling with their mental health, it seems the one thing most people seem to agree on is that if it's medicine, people shouldn't be denied it.
it's the one point my conservative anti-drug family members will concede, and it is the reason there is such a thriving quasi-legal cannabis industry/culture in some parts of the united states at the moment. this in the country that not only led the way in drug prohibition, but made it a global 'war on drugs' with their superpower super powers (ie various forms of blackmail) - now with storefront medical marijuana dispensaries.

this guy is one brave, committed motherfucker. i seriously admire and respect him - not only for his work, but also his outspokenness (a wonderfully positive antidote to all the bullshit propaganda we always have rammed down our throats) and his ethics in not selling it. he's actually helping people.

absolutely agree spiritfolk - i love sharing cannabis and take great pleasure in smoking-out my friends.
when people are profiting from something, their motives are always open to questioning - but from what we are told about this guy, his motivations are pretty damn pure.
even if he funds what he does by selling some of his harvest to people who aren't medical patients (not that there is any indication that he does this), he is fighting the good fight - and in a country that moves to close every possible loophole in drug laws - he is a fucking saint.
most people can see that - even the media give him a good run, as has been pointed out. as we all know, that never happens - newspapers are like the propaganda ministry of the war on drugs.
very interesting.

i have a theory that the police and government know - and have known for years - that if they come down like a tonne of bricks on this guy - treat him as a "drug syndicate mr big" or some bullshit - that there may be community backlash against them from average, non-drug using citizens. he will become a martyr for the campaign against barbaric drug laws.

he is after all providing an amazing service - and people need their medicine.
what sort of psychopath would deny a cancer patient some relief from the side effects of chemotherapy?

it's pretty rare to see a story about any sort of drug culture in a newpaper without at least one quote from a concerned local resident worrying about their small farming community becoming the next haight ashbury.
his PR and his argument is so good, and is so well received in the community that a typical battering-ram-and-weapons-drawn drug raid might actually open up a debate in the community that says "these drug laws are barbaric".

see, most cannabis growers are harmless folk who work away in secrecy, with no public profile or intention of being noticed. if they get brutalised by police (like their dog gets shot, their children woken up by masked cops pointing machine guns in their faces) the only witnesses are their close friends and family and the justice system. as the justice system has seen it all before (it's the way things are...) any harsh, unnecessary treatment goes unnoticed in the wider community. and even if it did reach the papers, the grower would be written off as a drug dealer - a criminal. not to be trusted.
this guy on the other hand, has been cultivating (no pun intended) a persona as an eccentric. a maverick, and very challenging - but harmless and benevolent.

i'm sure a lot of us will be following this case with a lot of interest. i hope he has good legal representation - in fact i would be really keen to contribute financially to it if such a fundraising effort were undertaken.

i don't know the details, of the case but i find this quote from the article really interesting:
He can apply for an exemption from the charges if he can prove in court he grows cannabis for medical use, a police spokeswoman said.
it really does sound like the pigs have had a hands-off approach with this cat for years. they've either been watching him really closely in an effort to make a bigger bust (if he was involved in more than he publicly claims) or there is something else going on here.
to me it defies logic that they just happened to miss this guy's various profiles in the media.
if only someone like fortehlulz were around to offer us an insider's legal perspective on all of this...

This sucks, is there a minimum sentence for that many plants?

Cause even if the judge wants to be easy on him they will have to abide by the minimum sentence.

He was just making oils/tintcures (spelling) wasnt he? Not selling buds for smoking?

I wish him all the best.

Director of Mullaways Mr Tony Bower says, “My culture does not allow me to refuse help to people who ask for it and where I know I can help, as it is, and surely should be, in any civilised culture. I could not have been any more honest and open about what I am doing. I know that I can help and even heal people with my medicine, a medicine that doesn't get people stoned. Almost half of Americans now have access to legal medical cannabis now. We need to urgently address the issue here in Australia.”

picture.php

http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/3-daily-news/9470-tony-bower-mullaway-busted-3.html

Some interesting reading on that thread about the bust.

Last edited:
so its better for people with pain to seek out legal opiates rather than illegal marijuana :?

Alls good people, he is aboriginal he wont get in much trouble.

Would be cool if this sparked a medical marijuana debate over here though :p