Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The most enlightening psychedelic drug?

dmt
5-meo-dmt
2c-e
mxe
3-meo-pcp

To be fair, I think the critical thing is set&setting, the substance is mostly secondary

To be fair, I think the critical thing is set&setting, the substance is mostly secondary

Without a shadow of doubt. A DMT experience should also be treated like a ceremony. It's best to unclutter your mind first via whatever means you choose. I usually meditate & just eat plant based food on the build up.

I would say each new experience is enlightening to some degree. And I'm not even talking about drugs yet.

Each new drug experience, indiffirent of it being a conciousness expanding or narrowing substance, doesn't have to bring enlightenment while under the influence (though they certainly can and do), but in hindsight is always adding something new to the spectrum of possible ways of being. I would like to compare it as such that each new experience, be it from diffirent substances, or even the same substance from exactly the same batch, is like adding a new color to the known spectrum. Thereby adding additional information to what was known before. Say you never saw the color green. And suddenly you see it for the first time. This in turn leads to a better definement, a clearer image, of what all the other colors are, by adding an additional thing they are not.

Now to stop nitpicking. In my experience I would rate tryptamines and dissociatives as the main source of enlightenment (or atleast adding more information to the diffirent ways of being than say any phenethylamine). Be it the long lasting expressions DMT or LSD can leave you with or the fleeting and sometimes more difficult to grasp and hold on to experiences of say a k-hole, m-hole or n2o breakthrough.

As a side note, a common theme in these moments of enlightenment, atleast in my experience, is an undertone of solopsistic monoism. Notions of a fractal-ish multiverse pulling itself up by its own bootstraps in some sort of incomprehensible feedback loop. I'm not saying this is the true case of reality, and suspect and even hope we'll never find out and thus not be deprived of the joy of speculating about the nature of reality.

Last edited:
Personally I'd have to go with DOC & 4-AcO-DMT on this (of the ones I've tried so far, I have a feeling 2C-E will be added to this list once I've had some) - those two have definitely done the most to change & influence me as a person, DOC especially, I'd consider it to be my "ally"...

Some other strong contenders would be mushrooms (of course), as well I'd say that 2C-B & Mescaline are very enlightening in a much simpler way, those two are very directly therapeutic even if they don't get as wild as the others I mentioned.

Unpopular opinion time - I'd also consider LSD to be among the least enlightening psychedelics, all too often it causes people to miss the point, they basically wind up worshipping acid & getting into a weird cult-like attitude with it...

I also personally find LSD to be the most egotistical trip, & not in a positive, self-building way (like DOC & other phens), more in a straight up "I am God fuck the plebs" way, which isn't as useful, hahaha

Last edited:
Unpopular opinion time - I'd also consider LSD to be among the least enlightening psychedelics, all too often it causes people to miss the point, they basically wind up worshipping acid & getting into a weird cult-like attitude with it...

I also personally find LSD to be the most egotistical trip, & not in a positive, self-building way (like DOC & other phens), more in a straight up "I am God fuck the plebs" way, which isn't as useful, hahaha

I think you might be on to something here, at least it's perspective worth considering. I've had this idea too, but you put it into words in a way I haven't been able to. Sometimes I think LSD is a self-important red herring that tricks us into thinking it's so special, always pointing us in some direction that is just beyond ourselves, and drawing us back so that we can stand on that pinnacle and see the grand view LSD was whispering into our ear once again. A kind of spiritual addiction.

All in all, I think there's a nugget of truth to it, but also truth to the other side, that it's a drug that has much to show us, and that it can be a powerful tool for self-growth. But maybe it is a bit of an egotistical charismatic guru type. You're right that people really can get into a culty reverence around it, and users do have a habit of putting themselves on pedestals at times.

There is no most enlightening drug, different ones are better at showing you different things.

I think you might be on to something here, at least it's perspective worth considering. I've had this idea too, but you put it into words in a way I haven't been able to. Sometimes I think LSD is a self-important red herring that tricks us into thinking it's so special, always pointing us in some direction that is just beyond ourselves, and drawing us back so that we can stand on that pinnacle and see the grand view LSD was whispering into our ear once again. A kind of spiritual addiction.

All in all, I think there's a nugget of truth to it, but also truth to the other side, that it's a drug that has much to show us, and that it can be a powerful tool for self-growth. But maybe it is a bit of an egotistical charismatic guru type. You're right that people really can get into a culty reverence around it, and users do have a habit of putting themselves on pedestals at times.

I have the same opinion of LSD. I also agree with you, that there is a good side to it it can be amazing for personal growth but I definitely feel like what perpetualdawn described is one of the pitfalls of acid. I think there is something missing from the grand vision LSD shows you and it's easy to miss that, especially if you keep taking it often like many users do.