• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Art The Modern Art Thread

capt.ba79c50de6e14d0e8b70a9a8411b694f.flag_controversy_flpc202.jpg

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - When artist John Sims sees the Confederate flag, he sees "visual terrorism," and a symbol of a racist past. When Robert Hurst sees the flag, he is filled with pride as the descendant of a soldier who fought for the South during the Civil War.

Their differences have flared into a war of words, catching a local museum in the middle.

Hurst walked into the Mary Brogan Museum of Art and Science this past week and saw an exhibit by Sims, including a Confederate flag hung from a noose on a 13-foot gallows in a display titled "The Proper Way to Hang a Confederate Flag."

Hurst asked the museum to remove the display, along with 13 other pieces by Sims.

The museum, however, announced Friday it is standing by Sims' work, on display since Feb. 26, because it wants to inspire dialogue in the community about a symbol that engenders a diversity of strong responses.

ryanlaughlin said:
^^^ those are awesome. and for some reason ive always REALLY liked things like the cubicle...
i cycled by the cubicle one day and everything on the white board had been erased and somebody had written: "brian, your wife called. it's over."

:)

alasdair

weeeiiird, i was checking out those tire sculpture pics, and i noticed "storm king art center".

i used to go there all the time when i live in ny!

cc- gnarly pic!

thanks so much to everyone who contributes to this thread. as someone who pours all their creative energy into sound and music, i feel frightfully coarse and culturally ig'nant when it comes to visual art... and this thread is helping to redress the balance :)

threelibras99 said:
I dunno who this is, thought is was funny though:

yo.jpg

Well that's the Crown Fountain at Millennium Park in Chicago (by Spanish artist Jaume Plensa) but I've never seen anything other than scenery or faces on the screens.

This is what the spraying usually looks like:

CrownFountain-002.jpg

Sophie Jodoin

Sophie Jodoin's work has me totally mesmerized and has for the past six months or so since I discovered her. She really does it for me; gives me that feeling through her work. I stare at it - every day - and have yet to tire of it.

http://www.sophiejodoin.com/

Don't Fade Away #3
dontfadeaway3eb8.jpg

Drawing Shadows; Portraits of my mother #5
drawingshadowsportraitsle6.jpg

Estranged #2
estranged2hc6.jpg

The Fallen #7
thefallen7wa3.jpg

I found this series on some random blog but the jerk didn't attribute it to anyone. Posting it here to see if anyone knows who the photographer could be...

medium_pic1.2.jpg

medium_pic2.jpg

medium_pic10.jpg

medium_pic3.jpg

medium_pic4.2.jpg

This was an exhibit I saw at the Getty in LA this weekend. "Art, Anti-Art, Non-Art in postwar Japan"

grl_980063_1112_3136b50f8_zm.jpg

cm_291b_zm.jpg

grl_2004pr22_zm.jpg