• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Art The Modern Art Thread

Post-modern = (apporximately) 'weird for the sake of weird'. So in many cases there isn't much to get. If it looks good, then it's good. Modernist art is a bit older and is closer to 'weird to try and answer an unanswerable question'.

/me prepares to get a new one torn by Pander Bear. Duck and cover!

IcebergSlim said:
504101bc50bfd2255c9f70fe9a9cfc70
wow! fractint version 1.0 for the win.

i see they're on version 20 now :)

alasdair

Dave said:
Post-modern = (apporximately) 'weird for the sake of weird'. So in many cases there isn't much to get. If it looks good, then it's good. Modernist art is a bit older and is closer to 'weird to try and answer an unanswerable question'.

/me prepares to get a new one torn by Pander Bear. Duck and cover!

I don't know how old you are, but somewhere on life's journey, quoting the simpsons doesn't get traction anymore. Try this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-François_Lyotard

I don't think the last two or three things I've posted were expressly postmodern. One of the most important characteristics of postmodern culture is that it resists being collected into a coherent movement or style.

I generally gravitate towards (a/A)rt, or "things" that are somewhat sublime-- big things-- and things that are unexpected. Things that change your perceptions, and the way you relate to the world, immediately.

Your understanding of modernism is pretty much on point-- its about achieving and addressing concepts that nature itself is incapable of answering. Words like "Weird" or "Crazy" are you evidence that the speaker/writer is too close-minded or stupid to appreciate them.

Pander Bear said:
I don't know how old you are, but somewhere on life's journey, quoting the simpsons doesn't get traction anymore.

This is simply not true. :p

^ Agreed :)

Thanks for clarifying PB. I just like the expression for its succinctness mostly. Oh, and I'm 27. I don't usually quote the Simpsons in real life, just online, and only when appropriate ;)

mariacallas said:
Lovin it. By Japanese illustrator Ryohei Hasei. (click to enlarge)
newimages1.jpg

That one is my new desktop background. My desktop is spanned across two monitors so its even better cause its so wide.

Its a passage from Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, which is far from minimalist, but I could see how the repeating thirty-two second notes in this particular part could convey that message.

^Wow!

Walking through an Eliasson passageway is a great experience. Do it once whilst normal and another after ingesting something appropriate. Inside the veins of the living universe, indeed.

Pander Bear said:
I've been reading up on vertical gardens, and I came across this living sculpture at the guggenhiem in spain. <3

1285569721_2def5e333a_b.jpg

Back view photo :)

43020004.jpg

They change the flowers according to season too... It's cute :)

I can always count on you to reaffirm my excellent taste, Beatrice (use the italian "Divina Commedia" accent" ;)